Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Q&A: Base Adjust Factor

Here is an email I received from someone plus my response re: the Base Adjust Factor option in the Compiler. Thought it might help some of you if you're unsure about what it is there for and the effect it is having on the player rankings.

> * The "Base Adjust Factor" means what?

Basically what it does is lets you adjust the baseline for each position from the strict VBD method of choosing last starter, last drafted, etc. The baseline is the point at which you use a player's fantasy points to calculate the value of all the other players at the position. Every player ranked above the baseline player will have positive value and every player ranked below the baseline player will have negative value (just a numerical representation; it is not that they actually have negative (or nil) value).

Best to describe this with an example. If you have 12 teams in your league and start 1 QB each, and use the last starter baseline method, the default baseline will be the QB ranked #12 (12 teams * 1 starter). With the Base Adjust Factor, you can alter the baseline from #12 to essentially whatever you want by choosing a multiplier from 0.0 and above. Choose 0.5 and now the baseline for QB is 6 (12 * 0.5) instead of 12.

> * How does my adjusting this figure impact my cheatsheet?

If you choose an adjust factor between 0 and 1 it will lower the baseline (choose a higher ranked player), which will result in a smaller VB Pts for each player at that position above the baseline. All else kept the same, they will have lower value compared to other positions and will fall on the overall cheatsheet.

If you choose an adjust factor greater than 1, it will increase the baseline (choose a lower ranked player), which will give more VB Pts for each player above the baseline and they will rise on the overall cheatsheet.

This is why in the default settings I have adjusted K and DEF so they have less value and will be lower on the overall sheet. Some people might like to bump up the RB by making the factor 1.2 or 1.4, etc.