Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Draft Buddy Note: Word to the Wise

Hopefully to the wise. Certainly not from the wise ;)

Seriously, I just want to mention to all of you who are planning to use Draft Buddy at your live draft, to take a hardcopy of your cheatsheets, notes, etc. to fall back on if you need to. Let me stress that I really don't think anything should go wrong with Buddy, BUT, you never know when something unexpected could happen with the laptop, battery, Windows, Compiler, Buddy, etc. I would hate to see someone get frustrated at their draft because Buddy is not working the way they expect it to.

Along the same lines, make sure to spend sufficient time with Buddy beforehand to get used to its functionality rather than figuring it out on the fly at the draft. If you've done this, and have sufficient backup, then you'll be more than ready to kick some ass!

Drafts seem be hitting high gear starting this weekend. Good luck to everyone.

Mike

As you suggested, I attempted to use Draft Buddy in a mock draft. I discovered that once I compiled the data from the 'Cheatsheet Compiler', there were many names left off/deleted from the draft board. i.e Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Ahman Green...and many others.

Has anyone experienced this? I am talking about the MASTER PLAYER LIST (Copied from Cheatsheet Compiler). All of these players appear on the Draft Buddy "overall" list (also copied from Cheatsheet Compiler), but do not appear on the Draft input Master Player List. ...yes, all the names are on Draft Buddy before compiling. Any ideas?

:confused:

Glad you did do a test run first to identify this. I'm not sure what the issue would be though. I just opened Compiler 2.3 and Draft Buddy (latest available at FF Today since last Friday), cleared my entire Master Player List and ran the macro. It re-filled the player list including the names you mention, who would be at the top of the rankings.

You didn't add any rows to the Compiler position tabs, did you? This is where Buddy should be copying the names from.

Let me know the answer to that and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the warning Mike. I'm going to use it this Sunday at a draft. I'm going to look like a real geek with my laptop and the Draft Buddy. Thanks! ;)

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: rurbaniak ]

That Draft Buddy and Cheatsheet Compiler are godsends. Unfortunately because of our scoring system in one of my leagues, the compliler was not useful but the Draft Buddy was. We had no problems with it at all on draft day and I felt we had a better handle of our draft because of it...Thanks Draft Buddy!

Hola Mike -

The Draft Buddy will often leave names off if the cheatsheets themselves didn't run/load properly. Often times this is due to "User Error" due to columns erroring because statistics were filled in, but the "G" (Games) column were not.

Something I noticed...nice product BTW ;)

Hey Mr. 14586. Lucky that name wasn't taken in all this time to get over here. People, say hello to Turbo Dog, who originated the idea and developed a nice initial working copy of Draft Buddy ;)

As to the #N/A! issue, I see what you're saying. I think maybe next year I'll eliminate this whole Games impact on the FF Pts calculation formulas which should eliminate this problem.

While I appreciate the credit, Mike gets the thanks for cleaning it up and making it presentable.

Many of my formulas took you from Los Angeles to Chicago heading west. Mike's ideas and tuning steered the plane east and streamlined the whole process.

The "Word to the Wise" is dead on. Often picks will fly so quickly you don't have time to type them all in or to ensure you typed them in correctly. Plus, laptop batteries have a habit of going down right after that Plaxico Burress pick (wonder if there's a correlation there).

The compiler and draft buddy worked flawlessly in my draft. I hate to ask for enhancements but it would be nice, when viewing the draft by team, to be able to see the bye weeks for the picks. It's too late for my draft but might be helpful for others.

Fantastic Tool Thanks.