Sign in to follow this  
Lobo237

Bay Area Ballerz Review

Bay Area Ballerz

The Ballerz are a tough team to figure out. McNabb is an elite QB, and paired with his favorite target Terrell Owens should be a force.. Also when forming a dynasty team you couldn't ask for a better anchor than Tomlinson. LT is everything you could ever want in a running back. He does it all, and can take it to the house anytime. Still after that there are questions. Barlow was a bust last year, Bennett can't stay out of the infirmary, and Clevland brought in Droughns to challenge Suggs for the starting role. These issues are serious. Meanwhile the Smith's (Rod and Jimmy) and Moulds are starting to get a little long in the tooth. One has to wonder how much longer they can be productive fantasy options. With this collection of aging stars the Ballerz seem to have a narrow window of opportunity to win the title. If just 1 of his backs besides Tomlinson emerges, this team could be a force, if not the Ballerz might be in for a long season.

QB

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

Drew Bledsoe

McNabb is as good as they come. He's a flat out stud who'll put up good numbers on a weekly basis and is the undisputed starter for the Ballerz. After McNabb things get dicey. McNair is as talented as they come when healthy, but lately injuries have been taking their tole on the 2003 co-MVP. Bledsoe is another QB who's running on borrowed time. He's been less then impressive the last two years and will be trying to figure out a new offense in Dallas this season. It wouldn't be surprising to see McNair and Bledsoe hang it all up after the season ends.

RB

Ladanian Tomlinson

Michael Bennett

Kevan Barlow

Lee Suggs

Kevin Faulk

Brandon Jacobs

Tomlinson is the workhorse of this group. Arguably the most talented running back in the league LT is as close to a sure thing there is in fantasy football. He enters the season healthy and looks to improve on his 2004 numbers. Bennett has spent more time in the infirmary the past two seasons than on the field, but is part of an explosive offense. The two things holding him back; his inability to stay healthy and a coach who has yet to stick with one primary ball carrier. Barlow is coming off a disappointing 2004 and doesn't look to significantly improve due to the woeful 49er offense. Suggs has competition in Clevland and Faulk looks to be utilizied solely as a change of pace back. Jacobs might find a role as a goal-line vulture for the G-men, but it's unclear what his future with the team might be at this point.

WR

Terrell Owens

Rod Smith

Jimmy Smith

Eric Moulds

Peerless Price

Terry Glenn

Keyshawn Johnson

Amani Toomer

Joey Galloway

Roddy White

This is a talented and often underrated group, but age is going to be a major issue in the near future. White is the only youngster in the bunch. It wouldn't be surprising for for the majority of this grouop to retire withing the next two seasons. Still the Ballerz should get some solid use out of this squad before they choose to ride off into the sunset.

K

Mike Vanderjagt

Josh Reed

Vandy is one of the leagues elite and benifits from the NFL's most potent offense. No controversy here Reed will only see the field when Indy is on their bye.

Def

Buffalo

Chicago

Buffalo is a solid squad and Chicago is looking to rebound after injuries derailed them last year.

Thanks for the review. Here's my unbiased assesment of my own team:

Quarterbacks

McNabb is the anchor of this group. I expect him to at least match last years stats, if not improve on them. Owens and McNabb will be a force, and leave their differences off the field. McNair is healthy right now, but there is no telling how long that will last. It is still unknown how Norm Chow will affect the Titan offense, early indications are that McNair will have more control of the offense, allowing him to call audibles on the fly. Bledsoe is intriguing, he takes over as Dallas' QB after a failed year of Testaverde. Bledsoe will have many weapons at his disposal, his best target will probably be emerging TE Jason Witten. If the Dallas run game can improve with Julius it will open up the passing game for one of the best arms in the league. Parcells promised a 3 year plan in Dallas, this is year 3, and I expect big things from Dallas.

Grade A-

Running Backs

LT2 is a stud. He will get his points no matter what, and will be good for many years to come. After that, things get a little shaky. Barlow has all the potential in the world, but was awful last year and is stuck on a 49er team that is in rebuilding mode. However, I expect Barlow to improve on his numbers from last year (1034 total yards 7 tds), which make him a decent RB2. Bennett has been injured since forever, but is finally healthy this year. If he can stay healthy he should post decent numbers this year closer to the 2002 season. Bennet has 3 major concerns: Mewelde Moore's emergence, Moe William's TD vultures, and his own health. Suggs is a good back with lots of question marks as well, he's on a crappy team, he's got competition in Droughns, and he can't stay healthy, these things make him a risk same with Bennet. Kevin Faulk is the backup to Dillon and will only see value if Dillon goes down. Brandon Jacobs could be the back of the future for the Giants, but he's stuck behind a more than capable Tiki.

Grade C

Wide Receivers

Terrel Owens should put up huge numbers again this year. Expect similar stats to last year. After Owens there is the trio of Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith and Eric Moulds. All are 1100 yard 6 td guys. They're all vets that will continue to put up stats for the next couple of years. After that there are Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway, Keyshawn Johnson, and Amani Toomer. Another bunch of vets, that put up decent numbers when healthy. There is chance that one of these guys could have a Mushin Muhammed like breakout year. Roddy White is a talented rookie that will start in the west coast offense of Atlanta, the problem is that his future depends on the development of Vick.

Grade A

Bay Area Ballerz

I agree with the earlier assessment that this team looks to be a built for wins now rather than later. There are some top-notch starters everywhere, but there are many players who have fewer games in front of them then behind them. I think there is enough to make the playoffs, but that is somewhat contingent on how well the Eagles play. In the unlikely event that the TO circus does affect the Eagles, it could affect the Ballerz as well.

Quarterback

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

Drew Bledsoe

I am an Eagles homer and I love McNabb. Last year, the birds finally signed a great receiver. TO and McNabb both had excellent years. Donovan is still young and fully understands Reid’s offense. As much as I like McNabb, he will throw up the occasional clunker. That being said, he should be a fixture at quarterback for the Ballerz for years to come. I also like McNair, when he is healthy. Unfortunately with his injury history I can’t see him being around all that long. Bledsoe’s glacial release and stone feet make him an accident waiting to happen. I have little faith that he can be a fantasy contributor.

Running Back

Ladanian Tomlinson

Michael Bennett

Kevan Barlow

Lee Suggs

Kevin Faulk

Brandon Jacobs

Tomlinson is awesome and the best back in fantasy outside a healthy Priest. I think the Chargers will continue to improve, which only makes him better. There is a bit of a drop-off from there though. If (and that is a big if) Bennett can stay healthy, he could be a good #2. Unfortunately, he doesn’t, probably wont, and as long as Mike Tice is there, no one ever knows who the real starter will be anyway. Barlow is fine, as a #3. I have seen a lot of bad threads started about him on the main boards, but I would guess most of those posters had him as a #1/#2. Suggs has potential, but is always an injury risk. I do like Jacobs potential and can see Coughlin working him in to be Tiki’s eventual replacement.

Wide Receiver

Terrell Owens

Rod Smith

Jimmy Smith

Eric Moulds

Peerless Price

Terry Glenn

Keyshawn Johnson

Amani Toomer

Joey Galloway

Roddy White

This is a solid, veteran group. TO is a competitor and regardless of what he says off the field, he will perform on the field. Both of the Smiths are getting old, but should be productive this year. Moulds is a great receiver, but with rookie quarterback this year, I would temper expectations. Peerless Price…is it him or Vick? Maybe it is both. Either way, he won’t help and rumor now is that he won’t even start. Keyshawn is all talk and little speed. I am not sold on Dallas’ offensive line. My feeling is that Witten will get a lot of red zone looks this year. Amani Toomer is a guy I get to see twice a year (unfortunately). He’s never been that impressive and with Eli taking the reigns, I don’t see him rebounding from last year’s dismal performance. When Vick does get more experience in the WCO, White’s value will go up.

Kicker

Mike Vanderjagt

Josh Reed

I don’t rate kickers. We don’t need no stinkin’ kickers.

Defense

Buffalo

Chicago

Our league does not do much for defenses, but I do think both squads are solid. Personally, I really like Chicago this year to do well.

You are welcome. I think you will do well.