Sign in to follow this  
Pale Rider

Shutouts! (Please respond)

I was reviewing the rules in the rtsports list and I didn't see anything as far as bonuses for D/ST when they get a shutout. I had St. Louis as my D this week and I would have needed about 80+point bonus for it to make a difference in the outcome but I was still a little surprised that there wasn't any points awarded for a shutout. They happen so rarely that I think it should merit at least the amount that gets handed out for a turnover. Did I miss something or did I read the rules correctly?

What do the rest of the owners think about this?

We don't have any points for "Points Against".

It is something to add to the midseason discussion threads. I personally don't care for Points Against because many other variables come into play - injuries, turnovers, penalties, stupid coaching tricks and so on. but since Team Ds are not a retention item, we have a little more latitude in adjusting their game play.

You guys will need to make a good case for it, so get your numbers/ideas/examples together if you want Points Against.

I think the recommendation was just for a shut out bonus. Something like 6 pts if zero points against, but nothing if not a shutout.

Makes sense to me.

I would add points for a shutout but none, even for great performances.

In all honesty Dan, you could make the case that injuries could play a role in sacks and just about anything else.

I definitely think that a Defense should get points for shutting out a team. Six points seems like a good value for this.

Beyond that I am not sure that a team D should get points for holding a team to 3/6/7 points.

Shutting a team out is special and deserves to be rewarded.