Sign in to follow this  
Pale Rider

Another question about the Franchise Tag?

This is the scenario I was wondering about...

Let's say I have cut my Franchise Players after 4 years (ex. Jamal Lewis) because I want to put that tag on another player but I still think he will produce good numbers. In the draft of FA, if he is available and I pick him up, will his value be at a one even though he was on my team for four years...curious???

The only time salary is considered is in the SR phase of Feb/March.

Definition:

SV = Current salary retention value.

Let me see if I read your question right.

J.Lewis SV 4 Franchise Tagged by MMadness retained in SR Phase 2006 (Tag = Free/No Pay)

SV increases to 5.

After October trade MMadness decides to switch the Franchise Tag which forces J.Lewis off of your roster. Instead of including Lewis in the trade, MMadness receives a few extra FA points for the next step of the plan.

J.Lewis is a free agent SV 5

MMadness decides to outbid everyone for J.Lewis and regain the RB.

J.Lewis SV 5 MMadness

To keep J.Lewis for the following season cost 5 points

MMadness pays 5 to retain J.Lewis

J.Lewis SV increases to 6.

-

This past draft, all the names are now SV 2. Any new players are the default SV 1. Each SR Phase, all players on the final retention list will see their SV increase by 1.

OK, I thought that the value would drop back once they were cut or drafted. I was thinking that the value would be back to one and not continue to grow. Thanks for the clarification!

So there is no waiver clearing period that a player can pass and be resigned at a lower cost. Correct?

Here's what I thought the rule was:

A) Any player on a roster in March costs 1 more then he did the prior year.

:D If he hadn't been on a roster the prior March, he costs 1 (ie, since he cost 0 last year, this is the same as rule A).

C) Franchise players follow the above rules for salary cost accrual, but are ignored for salary retention purposes.

Is that a correct summary???

All players not on any roster at the end of the SR Phase have their SV set to 1.

March 2003 - QB Tom Brady Initial Draftee SV increased to 2.

January 2004 - QB Tom Brady SV = 2

March 2004 - QB Tom Brady retained by Borg (Paid 2 SR Points) - QB Tom Brady SV increases to 3.

January 2005 - QB Tom Brady SV = 3

March 2005 - Borg cuts Tom Brady 1st round waivers SV = 4

March 2005 - Freeze claims Tom Brady on waivers - SV = 4

March 2005 - Freeze retains by paying 4 SR Points - QB Tom Brady SV increases to 5

January 2006 - QB Tom Brady SV = 5

March 2006 - Freeze cuts QB Tom Brady 2nd round (no one can pick him up on waivers)

March 2006 - QB Tom Brady is not on any final roster so his SV is reset to 1.

June 2006 - Freeze uses 1st round pick to get QB Tom Brady back on his roster with a reset salary - QB Tom Brady SV = 1

January 2007 - QB Tom Brady SV = 1

March 2007 - Freeze decided to retain by paying 1 SR Point - QB Tom Brady SV increases to 2.

-

It doesn't matter whose roster they are on.

It doesn't matter if they have been cut, traded and picked up in the period between SR Phases.

The determination of SV is in the Feb/March period only and each year any player spends on any retention roster increases his salary. The only way a players SV can be reset is to not be on any team roster at the end of the SR Phase.

Does that help? Sorry, I was at work until 10p central last night.

-

Note the strategic decisions on when to cut Tom Brady

1. Borg cut early hoping someone would take the hit and have to cut someone else Bory might want to claim on waivers.

2. Freeze cuts late not allowing anyone to claim Brady and thereby resetting his SV with hopes of picking him back up in the June draft.

[ 03-11-2003: Message edited by: Dan Sez ]

Originally posted by whoisjgalt:

Here's what I thought the rule was:

A) Any player on a roster in March costs 1 more then he did the prior year.  

:D If he hadn't been on a roster the prior March, he costs 1 (ie, since he cost 0 last year, this is the same as rule A).  

C) Franchise players follow the above rules for salary cost accrual, but are ignored for salary retention purposes.  

Is that a correct summary???

Much shorter than I would have said it, but close enough :)

The sticking point is that "SV = 1" is default and after retention, the values are increased instead of increased "in the act" of retention as your phrasing would imply.

Originally posted by Orgazmo:

So there is no waiver clearing period that a player can pass and be resigned at a lower cost. Correct?

Only the SR Phase deals with salaries and Franchise Tags.

It greatly simplifies the process to do it this way. Thanks

Originally posted by Dan Sez:

Much shorter than I would have said it

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :) :D :D

Originally posted by Longhorndd:

Basically, a player has to available for the June draft to get his SR points back to 1.

Right??????

I believe that this is true.