Sign in to follow this  
Murphys Law

New laptop Purchase

looking to purchase my first laptop this week. I've narrowed it down to a Toshiba Satellite for $1,000 after rebates or a Sony Vaio FJ series for $1,400 after rebate. Both units have 1 GB RAM and 100 GB hard drives. Should I pay the extra 4 bones for the Sony? Anyone have any experience w/ these models?

Have you looked into buying a Dell?

looked at Dell but its the same price as a Sony for the same specs. If I'm shelling out $1400 I think Ill opt for the Sony over Dell

looked at Dell but its the same price as a Sony for the same specs. If I'm shelling out $1400 I think Ill opt for the Sony over Dell

Sony is starting to worry me for the same reason I don't buy Nike merchandise other than shoes. Nike makes equipment for everything from golf to hockey, and because they do everything, they don't do any of it well. I feel the same about Sony. Is there anything that plugs into the wall that they DON'T sell? I just don't trust them to make a good computer. On the flipside, I would buy a computer from Dell, but I wouldn't buy a big screen TV from them.

My last two hav been Toshibas. They have repair depots around the country, much better than

packing it and sending it away. check their site to find if one is near. also their warranties are

cheap. I paid $125 for 3 years and you'll get that back and more.

Toshiba > Sony

Sony has one of the highest return rates of the major pc manufacturers.

That Sony and Toshiba, are ranked both great by Consumer Reports. Either one looks like a safe bet.

Also, FYI: Sony has the LEAST repairs of all laptop computers nationwide--per Consumer Reports, and Toshiba has the THIRD LEAST repairs.

Both are top quality in the laptop department.

(I just read all this on Consumer Reports online)

Toshiba > Sony

Sony has one of the highest return rates of the major pc manufacturers.

Not according to Consumer Reports.

That Sony and Toshiba, are ranked both great by Consumer Reports. Either one looks like a safe bet.

Also, FYI: Sony has the LEAST repairs of all laptop computers nationwide--per Consumer Reports, and Toshiba has the THIRD LEAST repairs.

Both are top quality in the laptop department.

(I just read all this on Consumer Reports online)

Not according to Consumer Reports.

I got my info from my buddy/neighbor who is in the business of selling that stuff.

Also, I wonder if Consumer Reports is making a distinction between repairs and returns. Numbers can be made to say anything you want them to. Take defective stuff back as a return and you can keep your repair numbers respectable.

well talking about quality with the big companies is a crapshoot. like autos, you

just don't know what problems you might have down the road. I put my laptops

thru hell and Toshiba has the best repairs/warranty for me(there are only like 5

repair depots in the state and one is 15 mins away :D )

I can't speak for Sony, but I have a Toshiba and have been very happy with it.

Don't know about the laptops, but I have a refurbished Sony Vaio Desktop. Over two years old, and no issues at all.

yo, get an HP instead. i've had mine for almost 2 years now, its still lighting fast, and i've never had a problem. i swear by HP.

btw, why do you need 100 gig's of memory? if this thing is for general use, you dont even need half of that

btw, why do you need 100 gig's of memory? if this thing is for general use, you dont even need half of that
Do you not consider storing music & movies on your laptop as "general use"? I'd think that was right up there w/surfing the web these days. Considering people are walking around w/60 gig iPods, it doens't seem all that outrageous to have 100 gig available on your laptop.

Do you not consider storing music & movies on your laptop as "general use"? I'd think that was right up there w/surfing the web these days. Considering people are walking around w/60 gig iPods, it doens't seem all that outrageous to have 100 gig available on your laptop.

honestly, i got tons of movies and songs and that sort of stuff, and i still got about 30 gigs left.

hey, to each his own. if you need 100 gb's, so be it.

yo, get an HP instead. i've had mine for almost 2 years now, its still lighting fast, and i've never had a problem. i swear by HP.

100 gigs fill up in no time. :clap: