Sign in to follow this  
BennyAndTheJets

Fantasy Football League

Last year was my first year playing Fantasy football. I was the commissioner of a 12 team yahoo league.

qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, te, te/wr, wr/rb, k, Def, and 7 bench positions. The league seemed to run pretty smoothly, but there were some things that bothered me. Our league had very little trading. I think total throughout the season there were less than 5 trades. Also some teams had close to 80 moves, while some teams had close to none.

I was wondering if this is common in fantasy football or do I need to make some adjustments as far as roster size or things like that go. I was thinking of cutting the roster size down from 17 to 15 this year. I'd also like to prevent people from stockpiling players which almost everyone in our league was guilty of last year.

As far as stats go, passing td are 6 pts, passing is 25yards/pt, receiving/rushing tds are 6 pts, and receiving/rushing is 10yards/pt. I think the way my stats are set up worked pretty well throughout the season so I don't think I'd need to trade any of that. I guess I just want to increase the league activity among the people involved.

I was also wondering about how you would go about starting a dynasty/keeper league? I used Yahoo last year, and it was all pretty straight forward and simple. Is it possible to start a dynasty/keeper league in the yahoo format or is it something that you need another site for, or do you just have to keep track of everything yourself?

Any opinions or ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Last year was my first year playing Fantasy football. I was the commissioner of a 12 team yahoo league.

qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, te, te/wr, wr/rb, k, Def, and 7 bench positions. The league seemed to run pretty smoothly, but there were some things that bothered me. Our league had very little trading. I think total throughout the season there were less than 5 trades. Also some teams had close to 80 moves, while some teams had close to none.

I was wondering if this is common in fantasy football or do I need to make some adjustments as far as roster size or things like that go. I was thinking of cutting the roster size down from 17 to 15 this year. I'd also like to prevent people from stockpiling players which almost everyone in our league was guilty of last year.

As far as stats go, passing td are 6 pts, passing is 25yards/pt, receiving/rushing tds are 6 pts, and receiving/rushing is 10yards/pt. I think the way my stats are set up worked pretty well throughout the season so I don't think I'd need to trade any of that. I guess I just want to increase the league activity among the people involved.

I was also wondering about how you would go about starting a dynasty/keeper league? I used Yahoo last year, and it was all pretty straight forward and simple. Is it possible to start a dynasty/keeper league in the yahoo format or is it something that you need another site for, or do you just have to keep track of everything yourself?

Any opinions or ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Last year was my year playiong FF. I was in 12 team redraft league. My neighbor asked me to join his league. NO ONE traded in this league. Be iong new, I was open to deakling and initiated several trade offers only to be shot down everytime (and no they weren't Joey Harrington for Carson Palmer type trades either). It seems that no one wants to trade and I don't know why. As for the mechanics of running a league, I am not sure. But good luck! :rolleyes:

Trading comes and goes but a lot depends on the people you have playing and do they want to trade. Some feel like they don't know enough to do trades. You really can't increase league activity (IMO). It happens or it doesn't. Some years I see lots of trades, others, not so much.

I don't think you need to reduce your roster size. You have 10 starters so they need to have a few backups.

As far as some making moves and others don't, it has to do with your satisfication your team but also some owners are just more active. I have some do a few roster moves and still do well. Some people like to pick up the latest hot player that may or may not help your team.

We had a problem like that in my hockey league that I commish on Yahoo. First, if it's a free league, don't expect allot of activity. If people don't have money on the line, allot will just sign up and do nothing all year.

One thing I did was limit the number of free agent pickups in the year. That put a premium on adding/dropping players. You had to think about those decisions. I also increased the bench size, so there would be fewer quality free agents.

I was hoping this would increase trades (i.e., trading bench strength for starters), but until the trade deadline not much happened (not for lack of proposals).

Depends on the make-up of your league as well. Some people are timid and don't want to make a bade trade and have everyone in the league laugh at them.

Trading comes and goes but a lot depends on the people you have playing and do they want to trade. Some feel like they don't know enough to do trades. You really can't increase league activity (IMO). It happens or it doesn't. Some years I see lots of trades, others, not so much.

I don't think you need to reduce your roster size. You have 10 starters so they need to have a few backups.

As far as some making moves and others don't, it has to do with your satisfication your team but also some owners are just more active. I have some do a few roster moves and still do well. Some people like to pick up the latest hot player that may or may not help your team.

yeah i mean there really isn't much you can do to stimulate trading. you can't force people to make moves. in my leagues, usually the same people are trading every year and the same people are staying put every year. that's just how it is. i don't even offer trades to some people anymore because they just like to stay put with what they've drafted and utilizing the FA wire.

As far as roster size though...should I decrease it from 17? How many bench players should a team be allotted to have. I always thought if a bench is too big the hording increases.

As far as roster size though...should I decrease it from 17? How many bench players should a team be allotted to have. I always thought if a bench is too big the hording increases.

I think if the FA pool is strong, owners are more willing to risk getting burned in a trade, because it's easier to recover using the WW.

I was in a 14 team league with 16 player rosters last year and there was only a handful of trades.

In my 10 team league with 14 player rosters, it seemed like there was a trade every other day.

I've played in the same leagues for years. Some owners trade some don't.

But, the larger and better quality the FA pool is, the more WW activity there is. I think it actually discourages trading due to the fact that no one will laugh at you for picking up a FA who never pans out. You will most likely be dropping a guy who is hurt or not performing.

Being a Commish for more than a decade, there is nothing you can do about lack of trading. :blink:

if anything, i'd reduce your starters. it seems like over kill to me. i like the qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, te, k, def line up. you could even throw in a flex spot instead of a te.