Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Maroney or Dillon

Would you take a chance on a rookie over a vet? Granted Dillon did not put up the best yards last season but did have 1500+ the season before. He may have a bad additude and is a year older but he is proven player. Maroney is a rookie going into a good situation with Dillon soon to be on his way out. But I don't see Dillon rolling over and just handing over the job. A true handcuff situation but who would you take first? And which round would you attempt to draft either?

It's a worthwhile question at this time of year--especially if you have an early draft. Maroney among money NFL-types is arguably the best rookie back not named Reggie Bush and would probably start right away on several teams.

Granted the pads haven't been donned, but Belicheck already phoned the Minnesota coaching staff (check the Pioneer Press online from yesterday) and told them Maroney has the best acceleration of any back he's had in several years and was impressed with his skills at this early of a stage.

Dillon is at an age where most backs break down so I think the question is fair. Still, I'd go with Dillon, because he's generally been a durable back that deflects shots and punishes players more than he's been punished. Last year he gutted out the season on a bad leg and he's reportedly trained hard.

I'd pick Dillon where GBait mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if the running game evolves into a committee if Maroney continues to look good. Considering Maroney was perceived as the better back when Marion Barber III came into town, and Barber III is giving J.J. a run for his money in Dallas--I think Maroney sees the field early and often.

Of course as MacGregor relayed to me last night about a coversation he had with one of our other writers, Dave Stringer, Dave put it best: All these rookie RBs sound great and have promise to be the next big thing until they have a couple of fumbles or miss some blocking assignments!

Dillon, but only in a redraft.

yea after this year i dont see much for dillon...maroney will take over soon enough

Dillon and if you are looking for a rookie to make an impact I'd go with D Williams at Carolina. Carolina has a stout defense and if they are in the lead, look for them to pound the ball. Foster is good, williams is good, foster gets hurt, and Deangelo has a great chance to get 8+ td's. Not sure how Shelton plays into the equation though because I read somewhere that he (shelton) might find a role as a goaline and short yardage back.

Of course as MacGregor relayed to me last night about a coversation he had with one of our other writers, Dave Stringer, Dave put it best: All these rookie RBs sound great and have promise to be the next big thing until they have a couple of fumbles or miss some blocking assignments!

Exactly. How many rookie RBs have finished in the top 15 fantasy-wise the last few years?

At quick glance, the best RB finishes by a rookie over the past few years (with 6 pts per TD, 1 pt per 10 yards, -1 for fumble:)

Cadillac finished 19th in 2005

Kevin Jones finished 22nd in 2004

DD finished 14th in 2003 (and no one saw that coming)

Portis was top 5 in 2002