Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

Defensive Dilemma

First post to the forums here.

So last year I entered a league with an interesting scoring system for D/ST. TDs=8pts, Fumb/Int=2, Safeties=3, and sacks=1 pt., that’s fairly standard as far as I know, but points allowed is where it gets interesting. Our league scores negative points for points allowed, so a D/ST unit that gives up 28 points while netting 2 sacks and 1 t.o. will yield a total of -24 points! Needless to say, this scoring system makes D/ST units more than just an afterthought, since a bad day on defense can cost you a game easily. Last year I underestimated the value of D in our league, preferring to wait until the later rounds to draft my D/ST units, and it cost me a number of games during the season.

So two questions for the wise and worldly commentators on this board:

1) What do you think of this scoring system?

and

2) With this scoring system in mind, who would you rank as the top D/ST units?

Thanks,

akaoni

akaoni,

welcome to the forum.

I have played for 12+ years in a league that uses a similar defensive scoring system (-1pt per point allowed).

Defenses are critical to your success BUT they are very tough to predict.

In a 12 team league, the elite defenses will sometimes get drafted as early as late 3rd, early 4th round... but even then, it's no guarantee that a D will be top notch (BAL and NE are examples from last year).

The best suggestion I can give you is to look at schedules... find a defensive unit that plays a LOT of low scoring offenses (and mistake prone QBs). This year, the AFC East and NFC North both have some pretty weak offensive teams AND these divisions play eachother.

CHI is the easy answer and no surprise. NE shouldn't be bad either.

But also consider MIA and MIN

OH, an another thing...

if it is possible, try to keep your elite players from being in the same division as your defense.

With standard fantasy scoring, this isn't really something to consider but with the -1pt per point scored, the last thing you want to do is have Peyton Manning as your QB and JAX as your defense. Twice in the fantasy season (the second time being playoffs) every TD Manning tosses will count as 6 against your defense... not so good... and it's even worse if you then add an Addai (or other division rival Dom Davis, Matt Jones) into your starting lineup.

I'd love to draft Chicago's D/ST, but since we have lot's of Bears fans in my league, Chicago players almost always go earlier than they should. Last year the the Bears' D/ST went in the 4th, and it will probably go that early again. I'm not willing to draft a D that early, even with the lessons of last season still fresh in my mind.

I was thinking that Seattle's D might be a good pick, they were better last year and have improved in the off season, plus, thier schedule looks like a cake walk...

Anyway, thanks for the comment. :thumbsup:

holy cow, ive never heard of that. can you just not play a defense? or can you play one thats on a bye most weeks? thats what i would do.

:thumbsup:

We score -30 pts. straight up if you don't start a defense, or have a D starting during its bye week. Although a defense can score more than -30, they really have to work at it...

I'd love to draft Chicago's D/ST, but since we have lot's of Bears fans in my league, Chicago players almost always go earlier than they should. Last year the the Bears' D/ST went in the 4th, and it will probably go that early again. I'm not willing to draft a D that early, even with the lessons of last season still fresh in my mind.

I was thinking that Seattle's D might be a good pick, they were better last year and have improved in the off season, plus, thier schedule looks like a cake walk...

Anyway, thanks for the comment. :(

what team won the league last year?

Who was their defense?

What round was that defense drafted in?

just curious.

I'm betting that the guy with the Bears D (even in the fourth round) did OK.

holy cow, ive never heard of that. can you just not play a defense? or can you play one thats on a bye most weeks? thats what i would do.

:thumbsup:

for us, if you do NOT start a defense, you are given whatever the worst defense scoring is for the week (and they get pretty ugly, -35/-40).

On your D's bye week, you can use any undrafted defense free of charge/waiver/move.

Some owners draft 2 defenses specifically to platoon them against weak offenses and unless those D's are on a bye the same week, they do no get the free "1 week" pickup for D/ST

what team won the league last year?

Who was their defense?

What round was that defense drafted in?

just curious.

I'm betting that the guy with the Bears D (even in the fourth round) did OK.

Actually, it was a she, and she also had the Indy D, which did well in our scoring system, but her team was crazy. Rudy in the 1st, Gates in the 2nd...etc. Her offensive players were for the most part unimpressive, but she won alot of games with D. Eventually she missed the playoffs by a by the slimmest of margins.

As to the team who won, although they were the weakest team in the playoffs as far as record, they had the Pittsburg and Cinci Ds. They had a super hot playoff run though, and knocked off the top two teams to win the championship...