Sign in to follow this  
RamslovaMartzhata

Tiki (and Brandon Jacobs?)

Last year Jacobs got his chances at goalline work and didn't produce. They never seemed to get away from it though (except for a few games when Jacobs was hurt) and kept on giving the rookie his shots. Any early word if he is going to get the GL work again?

I am just wondering because Tiki hasn't got the respect in fantasy for years that he deserves. This year he seems to be a consensus top 5 pick. For some reason I am feeling let down.

Jacobs is an absolute beast. I think Barber is a safe investment, but then again I also believe that Shockey gets more opportunities in the red zone than Tiki will.

If Jacobs is able to get his talent together, then he could not only impact Tiki in general, but also Shockey as well.

There was just a thread about the most efficient goalline backs (sorry to lazy to find it) and Brandon Jacobs was in the top 10 or so...Tiki was near the bottom. I think Jacobs converted like 7 of 13 attempts and Tiki was like 5 of 21. The best was Alexander with like 17 of 24 or something like that

Which I guess is what my point is. For years, Tiki has been underrated. Now that he has a legitimate reason to drop him a bit in the standings... he is finally getting respect? No way he is top 5 as people are saying in a non PPR league.

Which I guess is what my point is. For years, Tiki has been underrated. Now that he has a legitimate reason to drop him a bit in the standings... he is finally getting respect? No way he is top 5 as people are saying in a non PPR league.

In a non-ppr, I wouldn't draft Tiki in the top 10 this year...I play in a ppr so he will probably go somewhere between #4-6 in my draft.

There was just a thread about the most efficient goalline backs (sorry to lazy to find it) and Brandon Jacobs was in the top 10 or so...Tiki was near the bottom. I think Jacobs converted like 7 of 13 attempts and Tiki was like 5 of 21. The best was Alexander with like 17 of 24 or something like that

IMO those stats are out of whack

while i didn't watch every Giants game the ones i did watch had a very similar pattern

1&GOAL-Jacobs stuffed

2&GOAL-Incomplete

3&GOAL-Jacobs stuffed

4&GOAL-Tiki 2yd TD

in some cases replace that 2nd down with Jacobs getting stuffed again

unless you are counting those runs that are 10 yards out yet still -&GOAL where Tiki missed i cannot believe that Jacobs had half the GL carries that Tiki did, nor a better percentage

IMO those stats are out of whack

while i didn't watch every Giants game the ones i did watch had a very similar pattern

1&GOAL-Jacobs stuffed

2&GOAL-Incomplete

3&GOAL-Jacobs stuffed

4&GOAL-Tiki 2yd TD

in some cases replace that 2nd down with Jacobs getting stuffed again

unless you are counting those runs that are 10 yards out yet still -&GOAL where Tiki missed i cannot believe that Jacobs had half the GL carries that Tiki did, nor a better percentage

I agree... as I said before I didn't think he was good at the GL work from what I saw. That being said he is a year wiser so I am to about to discount his effect on Tiki's numbers. If Jacobs learned how to turn his shoulder in and get small "not make himself such a big target"... he could be a monster in those short yardage situations.

I took Tiki in the 2nd last year and obviously it turned out very well for me. It was a lil frsutrating to watch a rookie come in and vulture some TD's but Tiki still managed 11 total TD's.

I kinda agree with the premise of this of this thread though. As much as I like Tiki and as good as he has been 3 of the last four years it seems like this year is setting up for him to disappoint. It would be ironic b/c this is the year that he is finally getting the respect that he previously deserved.

Despite Tiki's great #'s, when I watched the Giants play last year it seemed like the play calling was designed to build Eli's confidence. In other words, they threw in a lot of running situations.

And if Coughlin was willing to trust a rookie with the GL carries last year B. Jacob's role should only expand this year.

Also, with Burress, a healthy Shockey, more speed at WR, and assuming that Eli will improve I think the Giants will spread the ball around more this year.

Combine these things with the fact the Tiki is 31 and I am not nearly as high on him this year as I was last.

Of course, he will still put up solid ##'s but i can see him being a lil disappointing from a top 5 standpoint.

I agree... as I said before I didn't think he was good at the GL work from what I saw. That being said he is a year wiser so I am to about to discount his effect on Tiki's numbers. If Jacobs learned how to turn his shoulder in and get small "not make himself such a big target"... he could be a monster in those short yardage situations.

i think VaTerp makes a good point, if he was trusted as a rookie and even trusted when he didnt do that well(he fumbled quite a bit if i remember correctly) then he will certianly be trusted again this year

maybe his inefficiency had to do with the step up in level where he was used to just flat out running over people but cannot here....

i have the same feeling that Tiki will dissappoint in the one year where he is getting credit

as of now im slating him more as a 2nd rounder instead of a top 5

I am in a non PPR league and that plus the fact that Jacobs may steal some GL carries is why I have Tiki a little further down my draft board than some do...

You know, when I read this I said "this guy's full of it- no way Jacobs had 7 TDs last year". Turns out he did - who would have thought.

As a die-hard GIANTS Fan it is impossible to be unbiased,

that being said, I also feel the bad-karma surrounding

BARBER this year. I just picture him going down with

an ACL injury or something horrendius like that. Just

a gut feeling. OBTW, If that happens, it will be WARD in

there to replace BARBER, Not JACOBS. JACOBS is still

a project IMO, he just hasn't put it together yet, that being

said, this kid has the potential to be "earth-shattering",

his size & tools are that d*/mn good!!!!!

Jacobs should continue in his role as the short yardage back. Despite what people believe watching from their TV sets, the staff has not been displeased with what Jacobs has done in that role. However, whether or not he sees anything outside of short yardage situations depends more on how confortable they are with what he can do when the ball isn't in his hands than anything. He needs to prove to them he can be effective as a blocker and can pick up the blitz. This is a significant adjustment for young back coming into the league and takes time to learn.