Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

CC/DB Tip of the Day - 6/30 - Countdown Timer Sound

Okay, for a Friday before a long weekend, here is one more for fun than function. While you can't really beat the Draft Buddy countdown timer's Jeopardy tunes for the ultimate torture to unleash against slow drafters in your league, and the Stooges and Eastwood bites are pretty good, I'm sure some of you want to add your own sounds to this thing. And, you probably also noticed I left a bunch of blank lines marked [empty] in the select sound drop-down box. I just didn't get a chance to leave a clear spot or instructions for users to input their own sounds. Here we go...

Add Your Own Sounds to the Draft Buddy Countdown Timer

1. Go to the summary tab in Buddy.

2. Click on the cell with the title "Draft Pick Countdown Timer Setup" and highlight that cell and 2 or 3 cells to the right. Basically, you want to highlight some cells across a few columns starting from the furthest right information on the summary tab, and to the right. I can tell I'm not describing this very well, so view image.

3. Now select Format > Column > Unhide.

4. You should notice some cells with red text appear from some previously hidden columns. At the bottom you should notice a small list numbered 1 to 10 with the sound file details. The name from the select sound drop-down, then another name, and a number.

You need to fill in one of the [empty] spots on that list. The first column is the name you want to present in your select sound drop-down. The second is the filename of the sound file, less the .wav on the end. Note this will only work for .wav format files. The last column, the number, is the number of seconds from the end of the timer you want your sound file to start. For example, the first Jeopardy sound file is a little over 30 seconds, so I have it start when the timer hits 31 seconds.

5. Last step is simply to copy your .wav file for your new sound into the same directory as your Draft Buddy, which by default is /Program Files/Cheatsheet Compiler/

To test it out, just set the timer a little bit longer than when you want your sound to start, start the timer, wait and listen.

As mentioned, only .wav file formats will work, but these are pretty easy to find and there are lots out there. You can also create and edit your own .wav files using Microsoft's simple Sound Recorder found under the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment.

Matt found a good source for movie .wav files when he tracked down the Stooges one called Wavsource.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone! Things get rolling a little more furious next week. And we still have that extra surprise coming that Krueger mentioned earlier....