Sign in to follow this  
bdaddy407

Draft Formula

I'm really tired of the old "snake Draft"!! Does anyone know of a different draft order system? :thumbsup:

Snake is the best a "draft" can offer. Auction is the next step up.

I was in a league with a modified serpentine draft one year.

It was typical 1-12 and then 12-1 for rounds 1 and 2.

Starting with the third round, No. 1 dropped to the bottom.

So, for the third it went, 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-1

Then back up for the fourth: 1-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2.

No. 2 then dropped in the fifth: 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-1-2

Sixth: 2-1-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3.

It kept that format throughout.

The league only lasted one year due to some ahole trades, name-calling and so on. And I don't remember if I liked how the draft unfolded or not. As I recall, I think the No. 1 team was pretty stacked.

The league only lasted one year due to some ahole trades, name-calling and so on. And I don't remember if I liked how the draft unfolded or not. As I recall, I think the No. 1 team was pretty stacked.

Last year I participated in a randomized serpentine draft. Round 1 was in a random order, with round 2 going in reverse order of round 1. The order was then reshuffled for round 3, with round 4 going in reverse order of round 3. Wash, rinse, repeat.

We use the tired old serpentine however we pick our draft order one month early and allow owners to trade picks. Lots of trading goes on as everyone positions themselves for the guy "they think" will be at each spot. Some guys move up in the first, some guys trade away their first giving the other 2 firsts and then big holes. Every one has a strategy, some guys just sit tight til draft day. This basically starts our fantasy fun a month early as well!!!!

Serpentine re-drafts are what we used to do in our league but now we went to auction and we won't go back.

I am in 2 leagues that use this system. I don't like it. It is a huge advantage to number 2 and disadvantage to number 1. Give me picks 2, 23, 25 over 1, 24,36 any day of the week.

Randomized is good, but you can have one guy randomly end up with the 1st pick in 6 of the 1st 9 rounds - then what?

snake is the best for ordered drafts, but I am wanting more and more to go to an auction system. I doubt I can convince my friends though.

A Commissioner in one of my leagues, Ron Cook, is implementing the following system this year and I am looking forward to seeing how it works as I think it has some merit:

"The other change only affects draft leagues and is more subtle, at least it will be subtle until you start drafting. In designing dynasty league drafts, I became very aware that the standard serpentine drafts really are not very fair. In every round there is some difference in value between the first and last slot, but that difference decreases with every round. I discovered that the difference in total points between numbers 1-12 was considerably larger than the difference in 13-24. So what this means is that those drafting early are getting an advantage over those drafting late in every group of two rounds. Further study revealed that the total difference from rounds 3 on was just about equal to the difference in the first two rounds. So in order to equlize the drafts, we will be using a new style of draft. While the draft will continue to reverse on even rounds throughout the draft, the order will be flipped beginning in round 3.

1) 1-12

2) 12-1

3) 12-1

4) 1-12

5) 12-1

6) 1-12

7) 12-1

8) 1-12

and so on

Those drafting first will think this is unfair as they no longer get the advantage in every group of two rounds. However, I am sure they will still find plenty of people willing to trade for the chance to take Johnson, Tomlinson, or Alexander. There is still not that much difference in the overall structure. Each group of two rounds is still serpentine, so for those of you who argue that the current structure is balanced, then this is no less so. And for those who want to point out the advantage for the later drafting teams in rounds 2-3, their advantage in 2-4 is still not as great as that of the early teams in round 1. What I think most of you will see when you examine it is that you cannot really determine which end has the advantage. You will have some who will prefer to be #12 while most will still want #1, but you should have a better chance finding someone to trade with you if you don't like your slot. Then again, although I received

complaints last year from a guy drafting 3rd in a league using this system, he was not willing to trade down to get the advantage he kept insisting the others had. Of course, if you are #6 or #7, you won't find much difference."

If it works, then Ron is a genius! Up to you to decide for your league though.

A Commissioner in one of my leagues, Ron Cook, is implementing the following system this year and I am looking forward to seeing how it works as I think it has some merit:

"The other change only affects draft leagues and is more subtle, at least it will be subtle until you start drafting. In designing dynasty league drafts, I became very aware that the standard serpentine drafts really are not very fair. In every round there is some difference in value between the first and last slot, but that difference decreases with every round. I discovered that the difference in total points between numbers 1-12 was considerably larger than the difference in 13-24. So what this means is that those drafting early are getting an advantage over those drafting late in every group of two rounds. Further study revealed that the total difference from rounds 3 on was just about equal to the difference in the first two rounds. So in order to equlize the drafts, we will be using a new style of draft. While the draft will continue to reverse on even rounds throughout the draft, the order will be flipped beginning in round 3.

1) 1-12

2) 12-1

3) 12-1

4) 1-12

5) 12-1

6) 1-12

7) 12-1

8) 1-12

and so on

Those drafting first will think this is unfair as they no longer get the advantage in every group of two rounds. However, I am sure they will still find plenty of people willing to trade for the chance to take Johnson, Tomlinson, or Alexander. There is still not that much difference in the overall structure. Each group of two rounds is still serpentine, so for those of you who argue that the current structure is balanced, then this is no less so. And for those who want to point out the advantage for the later drafting teams in rounds 2-3, their advantage in 2-4 is still not as great as that of the early teams in round 1. What I think most of you will see when you examine it is that you cannot really determine which end has the advantage. You will have some who will prefer to be #12 while most will still want #1, but you should have a better chance finding someone to trade with you if you don't like your slot. Then again, although I received

complaints last year from a guy drafting 3rd in a league using this system, he was not willing to trade down to get the advantage he kept insisting the others had. Of course, if you are #6 or #7, you won't find much difference."

If it works, then Ron is a genius! Up to you to decide for your league though.

The early picks get pretty focked in that system. I'll take 1.12, 2.01, 3.01 over 1.01, 2.12, 3.12 any day of the week.

We use the tired old serpentine however we pick our draft order one month early and allow owners to trade picks. Lots of trading goes on as everyone positions themselves for the guy "they think" will be at each spot. Some guys move up in the first, some guys trade away their first giving the other 2 firsts and then big holes. Every one has a strategy, some guys just sit tight til draft day. This basically starts our fantasy fun a month early as well!!!!

this is what we do as well, but make our picks months in advance. this year's lottery was in early March. I got the 2nd pick. Nobody's made a trade yet, but people are talking. Last year I had 6 in a 10 teamer. Ended up pulling 4 pre-draft trades to make my first 5 picks 9, 11, 30, 35, and 42 - very different than the 6, 15, 26, 35, 46 I was given at the lottery. i took duece (9), steven jackson (11), caddy (30), burleson (35) and jackson (42). would have been gold if it wasn't for injuries and passing on steve smith for burleson at 35. damn you nate burleson.

Last year I participated in a randomized serpentine draft. Round 1 was in a random order, with round 2 going in reverse order of round 1. The order was then reshuffled for round 3, with round 4 going in reverse order of round 3. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Used this method for years. Teams have always seemed to come out pretty even.

I'm really tired of the old "snake Draft"!! Does anyone know of a different draft order system? :cry:

Auction

Don't do the randomized snake. Too many holes!

:D :banana: :banana: :banana: