Sign in to follow this  
akash1221

CC/DB Tip of the Day - 7/5 - CBS Sportsline Projections

Anyone know how to pull in CBS Sportsline Projections into Projection Pal?

Akash

[Edit: Yes, I'm cheating somewhat. Having missed my tip of the day for yesterday I'm assigning this post/email to take its place. Scroll down for details. - Mike]

Edited by Mike MacGregor

Hi Akash. I browsed around over there a little but can't find the projections. Have you got a direct link to them?

They seem to be league specific. I know the ESPN fantasy guy, Scott Engel uses the site. He gave you guys some love a few weeks back. I'm sure the CBS guys visit here to...maybe they can send you a link. i can't find one outside of my league's.

Actually, Akash invited me to his league so I could access the projections and take a look. Here is the email I sent back to him:

I see a couple issues here.

1. The web query method of pulling the projections off the web and into Projection Pal will not work because you need to be logged in to get these projections, and Excel does not seem to recognize them otherwise. I even tried right-clicking inside the projections table on the web, and choose Export to Excel, but that didn’t work either. So, what to do is this... highlight the table of projections online using your mouse, hit CTRL-C to copy and paste them into the appropriate position raw tab in Projection Pal using CTRL-V. This way they will at least be in Pal at this point.

2. The name of the players that CBS uses includes the player’s position and team all in the same cell. This is not good. But... I think I have a solution. Try this:

a. After you’ve copied the projections into Pal, move the projections to the right of the player names column 4-5 more columns to the right.

b. Highlight all the player names and select Data > Text to Columns. Use Delimited, and check comma and space.

c. Hit OK and you should see the pieces of these cells now in 4 different cells for each player. You can now select FName and LName from Pal to identify the proper player name.

d. Identify the rest of the projections, and hit Copy to Compiler.

Try that and let me know if you run into any issues. There may be some players who’s names you have to edit because they happen to have a space in it, like Antwaan Randle El amongst WR.

Here is the tip I owe you from yesterday. Hey, the World Cup only comes around every 4 years so I couldn't miss the second semi-final :wacko:

Now what to do for today...

Actually, Akash invited me to his league so I could access the projections and take a look. Here is the email I sent back to him:

Ok, so I'm good through the first sentence on part c). I have the info split into 4 cells. Now, I'm still not sure how I replace the names in the Projection Pal list with the names that I have copied over from CBS and now split into 4 cells. Once I have the names inserted, I can see how it will be easy to identify the appropriate projection category and copy it over the correct column.

What I mean in the second part of that step Joe, is from the top row where you identify what each column is (player names, stat categories), use the drop-down and select "FName" above the column with each player's first name. Similarly, use the drop-down and select "LName" above the column with each player's last name.

Your post here reminds me... from your other question where I said you could use a VLOOKUP formula to get projections from a spreadsheet into the Compiler... you could use Projection Pal by dropping your projections in there, and follow the steps to get them into the Compiler. Projection Pal will ensure the projections line up with the right players.