Sign in to follow this  
DoubleH

Projection Pal Importing Questions

this is my 1st year using the CC/DB tools and I want to import projections from other sources and can not figure it out. We use CBS sportsline for our fantasy league and of course they have projections. Can I import from a site like this? Are there other sites that you recommend importing from due to there format (and of course quality of projections).

thanks for the info

Dont feel bad...there are several of us who cant do it...I know I cant...I think alot of people have been using football guys...I have tried www.fantasysportscentral.com.....I cant do it so you are not alone....Mike will help you out though....He is great with customer service and support....He should teach class to companies across the US and Canada on how to support there products....be patient he will help you out

Thanks for the kind words Billy. I appreciate it.

Yeah, DoubleH, the importing projections is not that intuitive. I mean, it is finicky is perhaps the best way to describe it. Issues happen because it just isn't that easy to get data off the web from any website, where we have no control how they present it, and into nice neat formatted tables.

That said, we do what we can. Here is a link with detailed instructions how to get CBS Sportsline projections into the Compiler:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=214671

Projection Pal is found from the Compiler download page, about halfway down there is a short blurb on what it does, and a download link.

Most other sites are pay at this point, so I'm not sure what to suggest really. Some people use FantasySharks which is free.

Thanks for the kind words Billy. I appreciate it.

Yeah, DoubleH, the importing projections is not that intuitive. I mean, it is finicky is perhaps the best way to describe it. Issues happen because it just isn't that easy to get data off the web from any website, where we have no control how they present it, and into nice neat formatted tables.

That said, we do what we can. Here is a link with detailed instructions how to get CBS Sportsline projections into the Compiler:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=214671

Projection Pal is found from the Compiler download page, about halfway down there is a short blurb on what it does, and a download link.

Most other sites are pay at this point, so I'm not sure what to suggest really. Some people use FantasySharks which is free.

Billy, Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I read the link for CBS and I think I can make that work. I guess the follow up question is how much more accuracy does importing projections from another source bring and is that worth the effort?

It is personal preference. Some guys love it so they can compare projections across numerous sources. Many don't do it at all and go straight with the FF Today projections. It will depend on your available time and how much you want to spend on it.

Personally, I don't do it because I (a) trust Krueger's projections since I know he does a thorough job and (:cry: if I don't agree with his projections here and there I'll just edit them myself, or even bypass editing projections and just move players up and down in the rankings as I see fit.

Also, I like to see where Mike has certain players higher and lower than what the general consensus believes. Players like Driver, Matt Jones, Kevin Jones (lower), Culpepper (lower) this year. It makes me consider those players' situations much more closely. As a result of Krueger's projections I think I ended up with Galloway in most every league I was in last year. When you average projections from a few sources, it will create more of a consensus rankings... which is fine too, if you trust a couple sources equally so you can go 50/50 or 34/33/33.

That I don't import projections from other sites is no slight on those who do. Its great we can offer up a product that helps with this and have for years. It was in fact in the very first iteration of the Compiler (then called something else) way back when I created it for my own personal use. I know if I ever pulled that feature now, there would be a riot on this board :D <_<

It is personal preference. Some guys love it so they can compare projections across numerous sources. Many don't do it at all and go straight with the FF Today projections. It will depend on your available time and how much you want to spend on it.

Personally, I don't do it because I (a) trust Krueger's projections since I know he does a thorough job and (:lol: if I don't agree with his projections here and there I'll just edit them myself, or even bypass editing projections and just move players up and down in the rankings as I see fit.

Also, I like to see where Mike has certain players higher and lower than what the general consensus believes. Players like Driver, Matt Jones, Kevin Jones (lower), Culpepper (lower) this year. It makes me consider those players' situations much more closely. As a result of Krueger's projections I think I ended up with Galloway in most every league I was in last year. When you average projections from a few sources, it will create more of a consensus rankings... which is fine too, if you trust a couple sources equally so you can go 50/50 or 34/33/33.

That I don't import projections from other sites is no slight on those who do. Its great we can offer up a product that helps with this and have for years. It was in fact in the very first iteration of the Compiler (then called something else) way back when I created it for my own personal use. I know if I ever pulled that feature now, there would be a riot on this board :lol: :rolleyes:

mike

Thanks for the feedback, very valuable!! I am leaning towards the reason you gave for not importing. I suspect I will have a few more questions regrding both the DB and CC but i will check the current posts for answer first.

Thanks for a great product and service

i have found that it is difficult to automatically get the info, so i copy/paste the projections from the site i want into the projection pal..

then just manipulate the fields and most of the time the data moves over great..

defensive teams are the hardest and i usually have to retype them..

i get projections from guru, draftsharks and in previous years the hated fbg's this way..

As soon as we get all these other sites to produce an XML feed for their projections, then we'll really be in business.

:notholdingmybreath: