Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

IDP draft help; what round?

Never done IDP before and doing it this year. I think everyone is either going to blow off this category, draft the big names like Urlacher or a bunch of homers will take Brushci, Vrabel, or Harrison.

I'm targeting Bulluck and Vilma, but when is a good time to take these guys? I imagine 8th or later, but I'm curious to hear where good IDPs usually go.

Never done IDP before and doing it this year. I think everyone is either going to blow off this category, draft the big names like Urlacher or a bunch of homers will take Brushci, Vrabel, or Harrison.

I'm targeting Bulluck and Vilma, but when is a good time to take these guys? I imagine 8th or later, but I'm curious to hear where good IDPs usually go.

In our IDP league the top 30 DEF players only differ about 20 points in each category so I usually wait and make sure my OFF is set before I go picking DEF players. I would think the 8-9 rounds are a good place to start. I think it all comes down to would you rather be set at OFF and have good backups there as well or do you want to be F*&^ed when one of your OFF stars goes down. There are always DEF players who come out of no where and they are easier to grab through waivers.

i guess it really depends on your scoring system....i waited until all of the decent off players were gone and then i drafted idps...do not pass up an off starter for an idp...idps will be on waivers all season long...

In our IDP league the top 30 DEF players only differ about 20 points in each category so I usually wait and make sure my OFF is set before I go picking DEF players. I would think the 8-9 rounds are a good place to start. I think it all comes down to would you rather be set at OFF and have good backups there as well or do you want to be F*&^ed when one of your OFF stars goes down. There are always DEF players who come out of no where and they are easier to grab through waivers.

That was the advice I got and stuck with it yesterday. The top defensive players started going in Round 2. I didn't pick my 1st one (Nick Barnett) until Round 8. I don't think I got "the best of the lot", but projected points are so close (and the value was so much greater) that I feel the additional offensive players I got 1 round later than normal was worth the wait.

i guess it really depends on your scoring system....i waited until all of the decent off players were gone and then i drafted idps...do not pass up an off starter for an idp...idps will be on waivers all season long...

Scoring system and depth of IDP starters are both necessary to answer this question. MacGregor's read and react series is a good read on the topic.

I'm in two leagues where waivers are pretty much depleted at DL and LB, while the scraps at DB aren't bad, they aren't too exciting. These leagues start 8 and 11 IDPs, and you should draft them pretty early. In the start 8, Bulluck went in the 6th, and there was a steady flow of IDP draft picks every round thereafter. I'm in a league that only starts 4, and I won't take one until very late, because waivers are loaded with talent.

Now that I listen to you people, I have a follow up question: If talent can be found on the wire for IDPs, I imagine you could do some spot starting. One would think that you spot start a decent IDP against a crap team, but it would probably make more sense to spot start a decent IDP against a good offense because there will be more opportunities to make plays on D. Does this logic sound right???? :banana:

Now that I listen to you people, I have a follow up question: If talent can be found on the wire for IDPs, I imagine you could do some spot starting. One would think that you spot start a decent IDP against a crap team, but it would probably make more sense to spot start a decent IDP against a good offense because there will be more opportunities to make plays on D. Does this logic sound right???? :thumbsup:

Yeah that sounds about right, there are however more opportunities to score big against a crap team because they are coming from behind and are throwing the ball a whole lot more so a DB or LB would get more opportunities. Against a good team that is trying to hold the lead and run some clock DL and LB would get the nod. So if you spot start an IDP take that into account.

Now that I listen to you people, I have a follow up question: If talent can be found on the wire for IDPs, I imagine you could do some spot starting. One would think that you spot start a decent IDP against a crap team, but it would probably make more sense to spot start a decent IDP against a good offense because there will be more opportunities to make plays on D. Does this logic sound right???? :dunno:

I agree with Zap - your league scoring/setup is vital to your strategy.

And IDP generally can wait - take offensive talent because the pool is more shallow and the dropoffs greater.

When you do take IDP talent, do projections and take note of whether it's worthwhile to follow a run on LB, or to take the best DB or DL and wait on LBs.

Also, defensive rookies are often excellent as compared to offensive players - you can score with guys like Barnett and Derick Johnson in 2005, and who knows in 2006 - Manny Lawson, Mario Williams, Huff, Hawk, etc maybe...or players returning from injury like Julian Peterson or LaVar Arrington who all rank pretty low but could be impact players this year.