Sign in to follow this  
Killer Elite

All That Planning for Nothing!

So I spent weeks planning and doing mock drafts and developed a sound drafting strategy. My league is a in-person live draft with 12 teams. Standard Performance scoring without PPR. Roster is QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, Flex(RB/WR/TE), K, D and 8 bench players with no position limits.

So with the #2 overall pick my strategy was to take SA or LJ in the first, and in the second round #23 pick draft in order, P. manning if he falls, 1 of my remaining top 14 RBs, or 1 of the top 6 WR. and In the 3rd #26 pick round take one of the above if available, or draft from my next tier of RBs wich included 3 players. So basically I had a group of 26 players, 19 RB, 1 QB and 6 WR for my first 3 picks. My strategy was to come out of those 3 picks with 2 or 3 RB and 1 WR or 1 QB should manning fall that far. It was solid in all my mocks and always gave me a great start.

In the live draft... I take LJ second.. things are going good right? at the 23rd pick 18RB, 1QB and 3WR are off the board. Holt, Harrison, Owens of my top 6 WR are there as is Foster. Following my stratagy I draft Holt. 24 and 25 goes Brady(??? no idea what he was thinking), Harrison. So back to me. Foster, Owens are still on the board from my original stratagey. It felt really early to grab Foster, my other option was Dunn. Not real excited about either.. so I bit the bullet and grabbed T.O.

Now I may have 2 stud WR and a stud RB, but my stratagey was out the window because I was suposed do have 2 RB at this point at a minimum and the RB market was depleted. What would you have done?

The rest of my draft went ok.. though my #2 RB is a ? (I took Addai n the 4th and D. Rhodes in the 6th) and I am week at Flex (A. Green) and week at back-up WR T. Williamson and Mark Clayton. So I am not sure if it was a smart draft choice or not. time will tell.

So I spent weeks planning and doing mock drafts and developed a sound drafting strategy. My league is a in-person live draft with 12 teams. Standard Performance scoring without PPR. Roster is QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, Flex(RB/WR/TE), K, D and 8 bench players with no position limits.

So with the #2 overall pick my strategy was to take SA or LJ in the first, and in the second round #23 pick draft in order, P. manning if he falls, 1 of my remaining top 14 RBs, or 1 of the top 6 WR. and In the 3rd #26 pick round take one of the above if available, or draft from my next tier of RBs wich included 3 players. So basically I had a group of 26 players, 19 RB, 1 QB and 6 WR for my first 3 picks. My strategy was to come out of those 3 picks with 2 or 3 RB and 1 WR or 1 QB should manning fall that far. It was solid in all my mocks and always gave me a great start.

In the live draft... I take LJ second.. things are going good right? at the 23rd pick 18RB, 1QB and 3WR are off the board. Holt, Harrison, Owens of my top 6 WR are there as is Foster. Following my stratagy I draft Holt. 24 and 25 goes Brady(??? no idea what he was thinking), Harrison. So back to me. Foster, Owens are still on the board from my original stratagey. It felt really early to grab Foster, my other option was Dunn. Not real excited about either.. so I bit the bullet and grabbed T.O.

Now I may have 2 stud WR and a stud RB, but my stratagey was out the window because I was suposed do have 2 RB at this point at a minimum and the RB market was depleted. What would you have done?

The rest of my draft went ok.. though my #2 RB is a ? (I took Addai n the 4th and D. Rhodes in the 6th) and I am week at Flex (A. Green) and week at back-up WR T. Williamson and Mark Clayton. So I am not sure if it was a smart draft choice or not. time will tell.

You'll be fine with the Colts run game as your # 2 :banana:

I'd rather have the Denver Bells, but Indy should be just fine... P.S. - may I ask where the Bells' went in your draft if ya don't mind me asking ?

yeah rhodes should do you fine for a No 2 with those receivers :banana:

I think you stayed loose and flexible and took best available. It will likely have you extremely competitive this year. You have 2 elite WRs and a top 3 RB, plus you locked up the Indy backfield, assuring you of one very decent RB2.

I think this was the best strategy: best player at your pick, throwing preconceived notions about where to take what out the window in favor of VBD.

Owens/Holt is a nasty receiving corps and you have LJ/Indy RB. Outstanding start to any FFB team. Good job. :banana:

So I spent weeks planning and doing mock drafts and developed a sound drafting strategy.

This is your problem IMO. You are preparing based on what other owners will do, instead of preparing for what YOU would do. Trying to predict what others will do is a waste of time IMO. Rank your players based on how you like them. Ideally, you would take your highest ranked player regardless of position until you fill your starting roster. Scripting anything other than players results in exactly what you found. Locking into a RB-RB-WR type draft is silly IMO.

Agree completely here...those two WR are both topshelf, I'd have probably done the same thing, and I believe the Addai pick will pan out. If they do as expected and all finish top 5 at their respective position then you should have a very formidible team.

This is your problem IMO. You are preparing based on what other owners will do, instead of preparing for what YOU would do. Trying to predict what others will do is a waste of time IMO. Rank your players based on how you like them. Ideally, you would take your highest ranked player regardless of position until you fill your starting roster. Scripting anything other than players results in exactly what you found. Locking into a RB-RB-WR type draft is silly IMO.

yes and no. i go in with an overall strategy such as RB/RB/WR or RB/WR/RB/WR or something, but leave it open to what might be happening during the course of the draft, just as our poster did. There's too much that can happen and you just have be aware of what's going on. Give the guy a break, he was both informed and flexible, and I think it will pay off for him.

I also grabbed Palmer in the 5th.. so as long as the Indy Backs can put up numbers and Palmers knee holds out I think I have some point potential. Thanks for the comments guys. Good luck in your drafts!

thats a fine team. you did the right thing. you don't want to over-reach for an RB thats going to put up 5th round points, and pass up a top 5 WR...

the BEST strategy I think would be to play them like crazy, get a ton of points for TO, then trade him about half way through the season, before he melts down. Thats IF your #2 RB situation isn't working out. he should have high trade value, as i think he'll start out the season on a good note. invariably, players get hurt. and an owner thats 3-5 and desperate to make the playoffs will likley be willing to trade an RB for TO if TO is playing well. since he'll be scoring well, you should be able to command a high price for him, such as a better #2 RB, and a solid #2 WR...

you did better than sticking to a STRICT structure for drafting. you HAVE to be flexible, and see whats available when you draft.

but again- its a great start, play it out, see how it goes, and if you still feel you need value, trade him.

As for when the Bells went.. I dont have it in front of me, but I think Mike went in the late 5th early 6th and Tatum went in the 10th or 11th.

And if I went RB RB RB, I would have had LJ, Foster, Dunn, and my starting WRs would have been somthing like Kennison and T Williamson. I think my point potential is higher with TO, Holt, IND RBs and A. Green over Foster, Dunn, Kennison and Williamson.

But I normally do try and go RB RB RB.. I just didnt see the value this year.

As for when the Bells went.. I dont have it in front of me, but I think Mike went in the late 5th early 6th and Tatum went in the 10th or 11th.

And if I went RB RB RB, I would have had LJ, Foster, Dunn, and my starting WRs would have been somthing like Kennison and T Williamson. I think my point potential is higher with TO, Holt, IND RBs and A. Green over Foster, Dunn, Kennison and Williamson.

But I normally do try and go RB RB RB.. I just didnt see the value this year.

don't listen to Tomcat...