Sign in to follow this  
BoltFan

Mike: I've got a good feel for Compiler/Last Starter/Last Player/Median, but...

Depending on individual leagues...is one setting better than another? With all the RBBC situations this year I was leaning toward "Compiler Recommended", but wanted your advice.

I'm in a 10 team league.

We start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D/ST

We only draft ONE backup at each spot (yep...ONE at EACH SPOT..no stockpiling at any position).

Backups can ONLY be selected AFTER all rosters have selected ALL starters (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D/ST). So, in other words........10 kickers will have been drafted before RB3, QB2, WR4, etc. Weird......I know........I'll save you the stories of years past that caused this rule to be implemented.

My league doesn't allow trading......so......all free agents can be picked up for $5.00 a pop (obviously.....an owner would have to drop a player prior to picking up a free agent at that same position). If more than one owner wants the same player..........bid away.....in $5.00 increments........at times........players go for as much as $100. This method increases the pot by leaps and bounds thoughout the year.

All TD's are 6pts (even QB passes).....we give a bonus 3 pts for all TD's over 50 yards. RB, WR & TE are 1 pt per 10 yards.....QB's get 1 point per 25 yards of passing. We score Defense pretty heavy....2pts per sack and fumble recovery......3 pts per INT.....10 pts for holding opponent to 10 points or less (which has the Bears coming up in my Top 10 when using the compiler........what the hell do I do about that?????).

Anyway..........with the above in mind...........can you recommend which of the methods you would use when running the compiler? Thanks so much!!

Note: I draft 10th (serpentine style.......so 1.10, 2.1, etc.) in this 10 team league.....and regardless of which of the options (Last player/last starter/compiler recommended/median, etc) I keep getting the Big 3 RB's, Tiki, Peyton, the Bears D, Holt, S. Smith, and Fitz and either A. Gates or the Jags D in my Top 10. This is why I'm so confused as what to do....due to all the RBBC situations.....I was thinking RB/RB..., but with all the WR's coming up in my Top 10.......I'm thinking either RB/WR or WR/WR (which would suck). Thoughts?

I'd say Last Starter makes sense for your league. It should rank the backups exactly like how your league requires them (below all starters).

I think that makes sense too Zac. Last Starter or Compiler Recommended ... I don't think you can go too wrong with either one.

Wow, $100 in the pot for a free agent? That's nutty.

I still wouldn't be taking the Bears Defense with a top pick though. I think your best bet for the first 2 picks is map out what RBs you'd want before you would think about taking the first WR off the board. If 2 of them are there for your back-to-back picks, take 2. Otherwise, take 1 RB and then your preference of Holt, Johnson, Fitzgerald at WR.

An added advantage of this is it gives you more flexibility at your next picks. If a bargain RB fell to your 3rd/4th, and you already took 2 RB, then there would be nothing you could do about it. Leaning RB/WR may be the best choice here

I'd be grabbing Gates and/or Manning in the 3rd/4th if available.

Since your scoring seems to really heavily weight defense, I'm not going to rake you over the coals if you want to grab the Bears, if they are there in the 5th or 6th. One advantage this provides in this league is you know you will still get 3 top 30 WRs no matter what order you draft the positions in, because of the restrictions on each team drafting.

One advantage this provides in this league is you know you will still get 3 top 30 WRs no matter what order you draft the positions in, because of the restrictions on each team drafting.

But, isn't this even more of a case (guaranteed 3 of the top 30 WR's) to go RB/RB at 1.10 and 2.1?? I understand your point of a RB falling to me at 3.10 or 4.1 and not getting to take advantage of it if I had already gone RB/RB, but with all the RBBC's (and the question marks such as Portis) in the league right now I've got to think that's (a RB falling that far) highly unlikely. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help!

The way I see it is you are guaranteed 2 of your top 20 RBs, and 3 of your top 30 WRs, but after you pick at 10 the rest of the RBs are ho-hum, then you might as well get a top tier WR instead of getting a marginal value RB. See how it plays out of course. If you have 11 RB who are clearly better than the rest, two RB could make sense. If your list is 10 or less, then I wouldn't feel compelled to go RB if one of my top guys isn't available.