Sign in to follow this  
mscharver

Manning #1

I'm in a 10-team league, snake draft, I have the #1 overall pick. Scoring for TD's is 6 pts across the board for QB's, RB's, WR's, TE's, etc. Since Manning is head-and-shoulders above everyone else and his TD passes are going to be of the same value as LJ's and LT2 and SA is he even more valuable? Typically, I take a QB by comittee approach throughout the season. But, with this new scoring, I'm thinking I would get a stone-cold lock (barring injury) for an elite fantasy season. Or, should I just stick to my current #1 option of SA?

Thanks!

- Matt

Immediately -- right off the bat -- never admit you are in a 10 team league on this board. You'll get a very high number of rants and curt remarks.

Secondly, you've got the #1 pick. Billy, don't be a hero. Pick your favorite out of the big three. I would go with Alexander since he's a back in his prime who came out of the womb scoring TDs. You'll find a QB later in the draft that will score.

I agree with flatidea. Pick SA, LJ or LT2 or you'll be sorry. Remember after picking #1, you're done 'til #20.

Way better to have one of these guys and get a Bledsoe later than to have Peyton and get Barlow as your

"RB stud".

Immediately -- right off the bat -- never admit you are in a 10 team league on this board. You'll get a very high number of rants and curt remarks.

Secondly, you've got the #1 pick. Billy, don't be a hero. Pick your favorite out of the big three. I would go with Alexander since he's a back in his prime who came out of the womb scoring TDs. You'll find a QB later in the draft that will score.

Well I realize that a 10-team league leaves a lot of guys with loaded teams, but, that's all they wanted to do and I just wanna play some FF so I joined this new league with a bunch of other cops. I would have preferred a 14-team, but, not my call.

- Matt

I would have preferred a 14-team, but, not my call.

My attempt at sarcasm didn't go over well.

It's unfortunate, but the majority of the posters are very anti-small leagues and will not even answer questions posted that they don't feel are up to their high standards. I'm in a 12 man league (and remarkably for me, only one this year -- too much real world this year), but have been in some very competitive 10 man leagues.

Picking at either end of the draft means you have that long wait as you watch RB after RB go off your board. Since it's a 10 man league, that wait will be a bit shorter, but it's still brutal. Pick the stud up front.

Even in 10 man leagues though, the pickings will be VERY slim at 2.10 and 3.01 for RB. Dom Davis (injury headache), Kevin Jones (Martz scares me), or reach too early for a Bush (IMHO) or Chester Taylor (I can see him possibly as a #2 fantasy RB).

two scenarios

Manning, Davis, K Jones

Alexander, Harrison, C. Taylor

bouve tried this but he didnt label his thread very well. :unsure:

My attempt at sarcasm didn't go over well.

It's unfortunate, but the majority of the posters are very anti-small leagues and will not even answer questions posted that they don't feel are up to their high standards. I'm in a 12 man league (and remarkably for me, only one this year -- too much real world this year), but have been in some very competitive 10 man leagues.

Picking at either end of the draft means you have that long wait as you watch RB after RB go off your board. Since it's a 10 man league, that wait will be a bit shorter, but it's still brutal. Pick the stud up front.

Even in 10 man leagues though, the pickings will be VERY slim at 2.10 and 3.01 for RB. Dom Davis (injury headache), Kevin Jones (Martz scares me), or reach too early for a Bush (IMHO) or Chester Taylor (I can see him possibly as a #2 fantasy RB).

two scenarios

Manning, Davis, K Jones

Alexander, Harrison, C. Taylor

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't offended at all. I was just saying that I could understand why some guys may scoff at smaller leagues, but, what can ya do? Anyway, I have actually considered taking 3 straight RB's and not picking a WR till pick #40.

- Matt

You can't be serious.

If you are, Id take one of Holy Football Trinity. I do understand your words, but I can't hear what you're sayin'.

JMO

No way. Gotta go with one of the Big 3 at #1 or you'll be hurting. If I was at #4, I would give it serious consideration, though...especially in a 10 teamer where you'll still have some RB talent available at 2.07.

I've run an 8 owner team for 15 years where we start two qbs, 3 rbs and 4 wrs, and scoring is distance yardage based and not biased so qbs, rbs and wrs all score the same, so Manning is a consideration for me at #1, but only if he's on pace to throw over 35 tds, and I'm not sure hes going to do that this year.

Not that I am an expert or anything...just a guy who reads the BS online and reads the game reports....anyways....I would not pick him with the first pick. He has a good chance of being there in the 2nd and if not then at least Hasselback or Brady will be available. These two will post good numbers. I have the 4th pick in my league for tomorrows draft and have no idea who to take. Good luck in your draft.

crazy? No.

unbelievably stupid? Absolutely.

Take your Larry Johnson, SA, or LT2 and laugh all the way to the playoffs. Taking Manning #1 overall will doom you to a backfield of Willie Parker & Chester Taylor. Instead you could go LJ => Chad Johnson => Willie Parker => Palmer, and suffer almost no dropoff at QB.

Or you could stack your RB/WR even further and get two of McNabb/Bulger or even later Warner/Delhomme types and play the matchups.

Manning at #1 overall would be the dumbest move ever.

i'm in a highly competitive 10 man league. Big bucks, we've all been playing for around 12 years. get over yourselves.

I think Manning becomes a reasonable pick at the 4/5/6/7 slots but not 8/9/10 and DEFINITELY NOT #1. I don't like the RB's that drop to you at the 2-3 turn this year. Last year I thought it was reasonable to consider Manning #1 but not this year.

Not that I am an expert or anything...just a guy who reads the BS online and reads the game reports....anyways....I would not pick him with the first pick. He has a good chance of being there in the 2nd and if not then at least Hasselback or Brady will be available. These two will post good numbers. I have the 4th pick in my league for tomorrows draft and have no idea who to take. Good luck in your draft.

Hey, check back with us on your draft.

I have a funny feeling you might get one of the big #3 because one of the first three guys will take P.Manning.

just want to see................ :thumbsup:

Hey, check back with us on your draft.

I have a funny feeling you might get one of the big #3 because one of the first three guys will take P.Manning.

just want to see................ :banana:

Definately will get back to you on the status of my draft. Hopefully you are right and one of the first 3 bite on Manning early.

I strongly agree with those who suggest sticking with one of the big 3 running backs. Sure, you'll miss out on Manning, who should have the strongest year among quarterbacks, but you will be able to build a strong running team.

A strong running team, I think, is more important than a Manning. Obviously, you'll be starting only one QB. Most leagues start 2 RBs (in my league, a RB can be the Flex player), and a strong running game allows you to better cope with bye weeks and injuries. I think the drop-off between Manning and the next tier or two of QBs is less than the drop-off between a running back corral containing the #1 pick and one containing the 20th pick.

If you're dead set on getting Manning, I'd suggest trying to trade for the 4th pick in the draft. I wouldn't do it, but you would get something in return and have a very good possibility of getting Manning at the 4th pick. If your worse case scenario occurs--someone selects Manning before you--then you are left with the prize of the last of the big 3 RBs and whatever you got outta the trade. But, in short, I wouldn't look to draft Manning with the #1 pick--I would pick the RB I liked best.

On to the B plot of this thread--the 10 team league. My workplace league was initially going to be a 12 team league. Late withdrawals led to it becoming a 10 team league. I would have preferred a 12 team league, but it was outta my control. I have been pleased with the responses I've received here at FF today, and nobody to date has made any rude comments. I understand if hard-core geeks scoff at 10 league teams, but I'm not sure if I understand why any of them would take the time to flame anyone participating in them. One would expect them to see that a thread refers to a 10 team league, and move along disinterested. Only some crazed holier-than-thou fantasy footballer would bother to stop and post anything, and that sad individual's words should be treated as his desperate attempt to feel better about himself, nothing more.

i'm in a highly competitive 10 man league. Big bucks, we've all been playing for around 12 years. get over yourselves.

So much anger. Sounds like you're trying to compensate for your small league size.

I've run an 8 owner team for 15 years where we start two qbs, 3 rbs and 4 wrs, and scoring is distance yardage based and not biased so qbs, rbs and wrs all score the same, so Manning is a consideration for me at #1, but only if he's on pace to throw over 35 tds, and I'm not sure hes going to do that this year.

You're also in an 8 man league so you have more options available to you at the 16 pick. I think we're talking about Manning being a bad pick at #1 for the guys who play in real leagues. In an 8 man league it makes a bit more sense (although I still don't think I'd do it).

I'm in a 10-team league, snake draft, I have the #1 overall pick. Scoring for TD's is 6 pts across the board for QB's, RB's, WR's, TE's, etc. Since Manning is head-and-shoulders above everyone else and his TD passes are going to be of the same value as LJ's and LT2 and SA is he even more valuable? Typically, I take a QB by comittee approach throughout the season. But, with this new scoring, I'm thinking I would get a stone-cold lock (barring injury) for an elite fantasy season. Or, should I just stick to my current #1 option of SA?

Thanks!

- Matt

yes