Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

Kicker strategy....ummm, yeah...I said it

I've done this last 2 years, and seems to pay dividends in a way. Ive paired my K with my #1 back or my QB. This way...you more than likely get the XP if your RB or QB scores the TD, or if the drive stalls...you get the FG attempt.

Last year I had Shayne Graham paired with Palmer.

Year before I had Josh Brown paired with Shaun Alexander.

that's actually a pretty good idea man - never thought of it that way

obviously it helps if the kicker and the team's overall offense are actually good

- Graham is good on explosive offense

- Brown is the same and in a dome

- I've got Lamont and FWP... kickers aren't quite on teh same level (although Reed's sweet) and aren't in particulary explosive offenses and have harder kicking conditions (Heinz)

i actually avoid that at all costs

i wont even take a kicker if i have one starter from the team on my roster

you want feild goals from your kicker.

thats waht you should rooting for, not extra points

and if your team gets shut out odds are you are doomed

During the last round of the draft I take a K. I usually pick one that has a late bye so I don't need to mess with the position. Unless the k is blowing it out of the water, I will have a different k(one who's bye has already passed) for the rest of the year.

i mean thats a great strategy and all, but what if no one scores from that team or very little... i prefer getting a kicker that is on a high powered offense so your atleast guarenteed Extra Points consistently.... David Akers(2004), Jeff Wilkins, Vanderjadgt, and this year of course Viniateri could be huge on the colts

i mean thats a great strategy and all, but what if no one scores from that team or very little... i prefer getting a kicker that is on a high powered offense so your atleast guarenteed Extra Points consistently.... David Akers(2004), Jeff Wilkins, Vanderjadgt, and this year of course Viniateri could be huge on the colts

this may be re-stating the obvious, but i like kickers from teams that are good between the 20's, but don't excecute in the red zone. the situation in AZ last year was a "perfect storm" for a good kicker...a great pair of wide receivers, good system to move the ball vertically, bad defense, terrible run-blocking o-line, bad RBs, inexperienced QB, good weather at home all season...they had it all.

guys i like this year that have some combination of the above factors:

jay feely NYG

rian lindell BUF

jeff wilkins STL

jason hanson DET