Sign in to follow this  
Marion Barry

Laugh Now, Cry Later...Portis to Start tonight.

As a Portis and Betts owner, I don't take this source as credible.

"Projected" starters...what does that mean?

Does anyone else have another source for tonight's Washington starter?

I believe Betts is gonna start, and Portis will come in for a series or two.

If, in fact Portis is the starter, I'm still wary of playing him. I think Betts is the safer play IMHO.

Additionally, his value did not drop just because he might be out week 1 - there are concerns about his receiving, plus possible re-injury since I understand that this type of injury can re-occur.

Also, will Betts or Duckett see the goal line, red zone more because the Redskins want to preserve Portis.

That being said portis should do well this year, but these are the reasons he dropped. besides, I think most spots are locked by now anyway...

:cheers:

I sat him for Matt Jones (flex, obviously) this week and I will win if SD holds RMoss in check. I sure hope he doesn't play at all this week, but everything I've seen points to Betts starting and CP getting a handful of carries.

plus possible re-injury since I understand that this type of injury can re-occur.

http://www.ssoc.co.za/seperated-shoulder.html

For most Type I and Type II acromioclavicular separations, activity poses no threat to aggravating the condition, and return to activity depends on your level of pain. An athlete can usually do what he or she wants to do, as long as the pain can be tolerated. Those with a Type I condition may return to activity with little discomfort within three weeks. Those suffering Type II separations can expect to return to activity within three to five weeks.

I dont think anybody who took rudi, ronnie, tiki, or jackson is kicking themselves right now.

Why? Most of the those guys had good games, it remains to be seen if Portis will start and there is a good chance he won't see the goalline carries this year.

I dont think anybody who took rudi, ronnie, tiki, or jackson is kicking themselves right now.

Id still take all 4 of those guys over him

Why? Most of the those guys had good games, it remains to be seen if Portis will start and there is a good chance he won't see the goalline carries this year.

hah you misread the quote the same as I did

It was interesting when during the preseason they stated he wouldn't play till the regular seaon. Then they claimed he was out, later recanting and changing their position that he was now teh back up.

Common Mr. Gibbs. You really think the football world thinks that Portis would be a backup if he was able to play?

This was a foreseen move. Gibb's has to report a possibilty that Portis will play or the NFL would fine the Redskins. This happen once to Shanahan, in Denver, when a listed probably player didn't play and the nect week everyone was listed as questionable. The player wasn't a star anyways.

These NFL coaches really think that the opposing coach's strategy would differ so greatly.

Now a days, you expect the unexpected to happen if their not trying to play mind games.

there is a good chance he won't see the goalline carries this year.

Why? Did I miss something? Has Portis had problems getting in the end zone in the past?

Id still take all 4 of those guys over him

hah you misread the quote the same as I did

You're right, I guess I did.

Why? Did I miss something? Has Portis had problems getting in the end zone in the past?

Just speculation on Duckett.

I think all y'all need to check yourselves with the Portis enthusiasm. ONE decent pop, and it's surgery for Clinton. Ray Lewis owes his 10 missed games last year to the same injury, and Solomon Wilcots said on his Sirius radio show that when he had the same thing, he couldn't even reach into his kitchen cabinets around the house. Portis is destined to miss most, if not all of this season.

I think all y'all need to check yourselves with the Portis enthusiasm. ONE decent pop, and it's surgery for Clinton. Ray Lewis owes his 10 missed games last year to the same injury, and Solomon Wilcots said on his Sirius radio show that when he had the same thing, he couldn't even reach into his kitchen cabinets around the house. Portis is destined to miss most, if not all of this season.

As I understand it, this was a mild injury, and a partial seperation. In which case, it remains structurally sound. Pain and range of motion are the concerns. However, if Portis has indeed been in the weight room, I'd have to say he stands a good chance of returning.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/joint_problems/tp2...sp?pagenumber=4

Treatment of a shoulder separation depends on its severity. For a type I or II injury, you support your shoulder with a sling. You generally need the sling until the discomfort decreases (a few days to a week). Early physical therapy to strengthen your shoulder and regain range of motion is important for recovery and to prevent frozen shoulder, a condition that limits shoulder motion (adhesive capsulitis). You can return to normal exercises and activities as your pain and other symptoms go away.

This from a former college baller who battled the injury.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/x0v0x/tag/BreakingNews

He will, likely, recover well enough to play the opening game. The axiom on this injury is: the stronger the surrounding and supporting muscles, the faster the healing process and the less chance of recurring problems. A combination of his current muscle strength, focused exercise and state of the art sports medicine will have him up and ready for the opening game and he will be in top shape because, unlike a knee or an ankle injury, a shoulder or arm injury allows a rehabilitating player to run wind sprints and most of the training drills.

Performance-wise, I expect his production to be down for, at least, the first game, probably, the second, as well, because the coaching staff will play it tentatively with him, at first, as he works to get his timing, his game legs and his confidence back. By week 3 he should be back to normal and, other than the possibility of a couple of more fumbles and dropped passes than he had last year, he shouldn't miss a beat.

I see nothing in there that indicates that it would be a major problem going forward. Time will tell I guess.

As I understand it, this was a mild injury, and a partial seperation. In which case, it remains structurally sound. Pain and range of motion are the concerns. However, if Portis has indeed been in the weight room, I'd have to say he stands a good chance of returning.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/joint_problems/tp2...sp?pagenumber=4

Treatment of a shoulder separation depends on its severity. For a type I or II injury, you support your shoulder with a sling. You generally need the sling until the discomfort decreases (a few days to a week). Early physical therapy to strengthen your shoulder and regain range of motion is important for recovery and to prevent frozen shoulder, a condition that limits shoulder motion (adhesive capsulitis). You can return to normal exercises and activities as your pain and other symptoms go away.

This from a former college baller who battled the injury.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/x0v0x/tag/BreakingNews

He will, likely, recover well enough to play the opening game. The axiom on this injury is: the stronger the surrounding and supporting muscles, the faster the healing process and the less chance of recurring problems. A combination of his current muscle strength, focused exercise and state of the art sports medicine will have him up and ready for the opening game and he will be in top shape because, unlike a knee or an ankle injury, a shoulder or arm injury allows a rehabilitating player to run wind sprints and most of the training drills.

Performance-wise, I expect his production to be down for, at least, the first game, probably, the second, as well, because the coaching staff will play it tentatively with him, at first, as he works to get his timing, his game legs and his confidence back. By week 3 he should be back to normal and, other than the possibility of a couple of more fumbles and dropped passes than he had last year, he shouldn't miss a beat.

I see nothing in there that indicates that it would be a major problem going forward. Time will tell I guess.

You certainly have no trouble supporting your opinion. Your optimism seems to be well founded, but I'm going to stick to my guns and expect the worst for him this year (nothing against him, I just passed on him at the 4 spot and need to feel justified).