Sign in to follow this  
yako0o

Is Gates now just an avg TE?

Yes he got a TD, but anyone that watched that game that owns Gates must and should be scared.

Its looking like Marty Ball is going to be in full effect as he just doesnt trust Rivers Yet.

Not only that, but with that defense its not going to be often when there down.

So now looking at Gates Im very worried about his targets, and worried about Rivers not gaining martys trust.

Is now the time to sell on Gates while you can still get a very good return?

First start for a QB, on the road and against a divisional oppenent... I would run the ball 40 times also... Not to metnion he had Huff (4.3 40 and all) covering him all game...

I wouldnt worry about Gates... Soon as teams start trying to stop LT, he will get his... He did score a TD! :)

If you truly feel that way yes, but I think you can get a decent return up until week 10, if he continues to perform poorly. After that point, I think people will pass on him.

Rivers is not going to be held back forever. The way the chargers played last night they might as well have put LT under center, but they clearly did not let their pro bowl quaterback become a free agent because they felt the posistion was superfluous. Marty probably wanted to build Rivers some confidence and on their last scoring drive they let him go a little and he responded well. He will be playing like a normal quaterback pretty soon.

they had no reason to throw all game.

every week will not be like this. That was the lowest pass total you'll see from Rivers all year.

Gates will be fine, probably have 900-1100 yds and 8-11 TDs by season's end.

Not every Defense is going to be as awful as Oaklands. So their going to have to throw and not just run LT to death, and when they do throw I look for Gates to be the man as evidenced by his TD reception last night. I'm just not sure about them having to throw much this weekend as they host the (Ten. Titans.)

they had no reason to throw all game.

every week will not be like this. That was the lowest pass total you'll see from Rivers all year.

Gates will be fine, probably have 900-1100 yds and 8-11 TDs by season's end.

Lets clearify that.

They were up by 2 scores until mid third quater. The game was not a blow out till after then. Even in the case teams throw the ball everygame-They do it to balance their play calls(Steelers/Bears), win games(Duh), and get first downs to finish the game off(Colts).

The key here is what they were doing up until then.

They were running on third down, and obvious running downs. They were even doing 5 yard cuts that Fisher trusted Vince Young to make. They were running in situations where heavy dominent running teams would have done little dump offs to get first downs. There just wasnt somthing right to it.

Also what concerns me is Rivers not throwing to anyone else besides his first target that the play was called to. Alot of times young Qb's turn to Te's when there first receiver are covered, but Im not sure what to make of Rivers yet. I loved him in the draft but it was easy to tell that Marty did not trust him.

Gates will not have 1000 yards this year-That im sure of. The td's you never know as its kind of a toss up to me as to what they do on the goaline. His targets bothered me...

We all have Gates, but Im not going to be a Gates Homer and say everything is fine. Im just not sure how much to downgrade him==But Im sure theres a downgrade. I know right now I can still get an Elite WR for him in a req TE league, and Im not sure how long that will last.

Tonys Hardware-You really think it will last till week 10?

Yes he got a TD, but anyone that watched that game that owns Gates must and should be scared.

Its looking like Marty Ball is going to be in full effect as he just doesnt trust Rivers Yet.

Not only that, but with that defense its not going to be often when there down.

So now looking at Gates Im very worried about his targets, and worried about Rivers not gaining martys trust.

Is now the time to sell on Gates while you can still get a very good return?

Yes he is. You should drop him and pick up someone of equal value like a punter. You base this off of one game?

I am a Gates owner and I'm not about to trade him after one game but for Gods sake.... Marty was GIVING UP on offense completely...I mean they may as well have punted on first down. This is NOT the way to build anyones confidence.... running on 3rd and 7 just to "protect" Phil? What is this..... a father not letting his 16 year old daughter date? That I can see, but this is the NFL & pro football and Phil is gonna have to actually make a few reads and try and find open WR's. I know, Im asking a lot.... maybe they can punt their way to a Super Bowl? :rolleyes:

Like Ive said before, you can play to WIN or play NOT to lose. Sure, you'll win a few games playing not to lose but you'll NEVER beat anyone worthwhile just sitting on 10 point leads hoping that your over-worked defense can hold them all freegin night long. :thumbsup:

So.... dont panic yet...but have your finger on the button just in case. Marty Ball always looms over fantasy owners heads like a rain cloud.... keep yer umbrella handy! :mad:

I am a Gates owner and I'm not about to trade him after one game but for Gods sake.... Marty was GIVING UP on offense completely...I mean they may as well have punted on first down. This is NOT the way to build anyones confidence.... running on 3rd and 7 just to "protect" Phil? What is this..... a father not letting his 16 year old daughter date? That I can see, but this is the NFL & pro football and Phil is gonna have to actually make a few reads and try and find open WR's. I know, Im asking a lot.... maybe they can punt their way to a Super Bowl? :first:

Like Ive said before, you can play to WIN or play NOT to lose. Sure, you'll win a few games playing not to lose but you'll NEVER beat anyone worthwhile just sitting on 10 point leads hoping that your over-worked defense can hold them all freegin night long. <_<

So.... dont panic yet...but have your finger on the button just in case. Marty Ball always looms over fantasy owners heads like a rain cloud.... keep yer umbrella handy! :clap:

He keeps running the ball on 3rd and 7 to wear down the defense for the 4th quarter and to play a field position type of game. He's strategizing. He's not coaching his team so you can impress your fantasy buddies by having Gates on your fantasy squad. Those 3rd and 7 runs worked didn't they? Last time I checked they won 27-0.

Yes he is. You should drop him and pick up someone of equal value like a punter. You base this off of one game?

Im guessing your the guy that started Favre 16 games last year because he was gaurenteed 30 Td's? Or kept playing the Jones boys because they had good years the year before?

This isnt the help board but Ive been offered Gates for Boldin, and Ill be contemplating it all week.

This is FF, and the NFL--Things change everyyear. This isnt just one game, there has been a gigantic change in the Chargers offense going from a Pro Bowl Qb to essentially a Rookie Qb. Yes this is one game, but its the only game to see the chargers offense, and it looks like next week could be very similar facing the titans.

If I trade Gates it's going to be before his value is down, I dont sell low.

He keeps running the ball on 3rd and 7 to wear down the defense for the 4th quarter and to play a field position type of game. He's strategizing. He's not coaching his team so you can impress your fantasy buddies by having Gates on your fantasy squad. Those 3rd and 7 runs worked didn't they? Last time I checked they won 27-0.

Go back and tell me how many of those 3rd and 7's they got first downs on?

Btw, Make sure you start Lamont Jordan and Cadillac this week--They only had one bad game.

I am a Gates owner and I'm not about to trade him after one game but for Gods sake.... Marty was GIVING UP on offense completely...I mean they may as well have punted on first down. This is NOT the way to build anyones confidence.... running on 3rd and 7 just to "protect" Phil? What is this..... a father not letting his 16 year old daughter date? That I can see, but this is the NFL & pro football and Phil is gonna have to actually make a few reads and try and find open WR's. I know, Im asking a lot.... maybe they can punt their way to a Super Bowl? :lol:

Like Ive said before, you can play to WIN or play NOT to lose. Sure, you'll win a few games playing not to lose but you'll NEVER beat anyone worthwhile just sitting on 10 point leads hoping that your over-worked defense can hold them all freegin night long. :banana:

So.... dont panic yet...but have your finger on the button just in case. Marty Ball always looms over fantasy owners heads like a rain cloud.... keep yer umbrella handy! :mad:

You're acting as if this is something new! Marty's always played conservative ball. Last year, 5 of the 7 losses we're by a touchdown or less. I recall the philly game being won by a return on a blocked field goal attempt and Denver winning with a fourth quarter FG. Marty plays as though any lead is good enough. So if the Bolts are leading, he will continue to run. But mark my words, Gates will be utilized to his potential. It's just if something's working, why not continue to run? LT had 101 yards on 16 carries before the half? :lol: Plus, the Raider's offense looked like a JV practice squad against their defense. So yeah, I would feel confident enough that my defense would shut down their offense down.

My opinion, that was a well coached game. Monday Night Football is the biggest stage next to the Superbowl for the players. Did you really think Marty was going to let Rivers loose in his first game, on Monday night??? That was the best scenario for Rivers.

I remember people saying that Rivers was/is going to fail; that he didn't have enough experience. Then, he's used efficiently enough to win and now there's complaints that he didn't do enough??? I don't get it...

There is no need to panic on the first game. There was two reasons why Rivers didn't throw much. The SD defense dominated. And Oakland couldn't get a first down. If Oakland put points on the board, Rivers would've thrown more. Chargers will find themselves coming from behind and Gates will get his.

Also, when Rivers did throw, he didn't look bad at all. He had that one perfect pass on the right sideline with Sapp in his face. That led to the Gates touchdown. Rivers will be fine and Gates will be fine. They don't play Oakland every week.

Wow... this is the most ridiculous conversation I've ever seen on this board that wasn't a joke or an innane troll.

You run the ball early to establish the run and set up the pass. That's NFL Coaching 101. Even if you're getting .5 ypc... you run the ball!

If the other team can't stop you from running, there is no reason to pass. Simple... why the hell would you?

Better yet... if your defense can make the other team abandon the run early and collapse on itself... a 10 point lead looks like a 21 point lead.

Come on... how many times did the Raiders even get the ball inside the 30? That game was over after the first quarter. The Raiders knew it, and Marty knew it.

... so he ran the ball... which was what he absolutely should have done.

Lets clearify that.

They were up by 2 scores until mid third quater. The game was not a blow out till after then. Even in the case teams throw the ball everygame-They do it to balance their play calls(Steelers/Bears), win games(Duh), and get first downs to finish the game off(Colts).

Let's re-clarify that since you inferred something I was not suggesting. I wasn't referring to the score, I was referring to the 2 man wrecking crew of Neil/LT2.

15 of the 1st 18 plays involved LT2, 14 of them runs.

They managed to sustain 3 scoring drives while throwing only 4 times.

With run production like that, why would you ever put it in the air?

Ergo, they had no reason to throw all day.

Sorry about the 1000 words you delivered - interesting read, but not even in the neighborhood of what I was suggesting. :thumbsup:

Against teams that can score, Gates will be a monster, because young QBs lean on their TEs. And with a guy like Gates, doubly so.

He also has a nice rapport with Parker, still a solid sleeper once the Chargers have to pass a bit.

Panicking on Gates is ridiculous if you watched that game. He's a lock for 10-12 TDs this year and that makes him a top tier TE regardless of his yardage.

<== not a gates owner.

Only an idiot would trade Gates now since smart owners will be looking to prey on weaker ones while all the "Gates won't catch 50 balls this year. Look at the way they ran LT all night. Marty's scared" knee jerk reactions prevail.

But on the other hand, I am thinking of benching him this week and starting Winslow (stole him later than expected) this week. Versus a Cincy LB corp that let Gonzo (who's proving he is still valuable) go nuts, I think he'll get more looks than Gates this week (last week Winslow got 8 looks vs Gates 2).

And of course, I didn't draft Gates in the 3rd round to sit him, but it's all about adapting somewhat to the situations. I'm certain he'll come up big for me versus stiffer competition where Marty can't just run, run, run.

TE's are pretty unpredictable.

Right now, some goober is sitting back on his mom's couch thinking just how smart he is to have Gonzo on his team. Next week, Gonzo might get blanked.

If you have Gonzo, Gates, Heap or perhaps Crumpler, you are mainly looking for those few big games, which are the ones that jack up their numbers. Other than those games they are just baggage mostly.

Guest sweatness_34

Complaining about "only" da one Td from a Te? Seriously. This place is on weed today. Mormons.