Sign in to follow this  
Ricky's Swami

Matt Jones

Not a JAX homer, but a MJ owner...he practiced today and is expected to play. I think he's capable of a breakout game at any time. I'm starting him this week in the leagues I have him in. We'll see. 60 and a touch and he'll have done his job.

Not a JAX homer, but a MJ owner...he practiced today and is expected to play. I think he's capable of a breakout game at any time. I'm starting him this week in the leagues I have him in. We'll see. 60 and a touch and he'll have done his job.

If I start him, it's gotta be over C. Henry (could he be benched?), Colston or A. Bryant.

I may be playing Leftwich over Culpepper too - still undecided.

If I start him, it's gotta be over C. Henry (could he be benched?), Colston or A. Bryant.

I may be playing Leftwich over Culpepper too - still undecided.

I'd go with Bryant if it's a PPR league. Matt Jones is less than 100% and Bryant is the best receiving option on that team...especially with Davis out.

I like Matt Jones, but Bryant is a borderline #1 this year. I wouldn't bench him until he gives me reason to.

"I think he's capable of a breakout game at any time."

Agreed :blink:

JAX plays Wash, who I think is a little easier to pass against than run.

I've been waiting for Mj to breakout, and I'll probably start him as my WR4 (although I'm tempted to got with Colston, who's been on fire lately). Probably a Saturday night decision for me.

No Jax fan but a M.J owner two years straight

I have no stats to back my opinion but Im probably gonna start L. Evans ahead of M. Jones this week.

My reason for sitting Jones is that he's had that groin injury for about a week which affects his route running, Leftwich threw for 100 and change against the colts, not good, their probably gonna use the newest hot commodity Marice Drew Jones along with Taylor. R. Williams has also been getting some work.

That leaves M. Jones with less balls thrown his way. I love Jones athleticism and his upside but in this offense with Leftwich its hard to see him emerge as a go to guy except in the e zone.

I'm not giving up on him yet I just see too many variables in the mix that could slow his performance this year

Just my O" Pinion

Given how he burned me last week by "starting" but not playing effectively, I am sitting Jones this week. I am going with Greg Jennings and Troy Willliamson in his place.

I love Jones, own him in every league I'm in, but he's not playing for me until he proves he's healthy because I have other options.

If you don't have other options, you're starting him anyway, but if you do, I'd consider them.

i'm a MJ owner too and he'll be riding my bench. im waiting until hes a 100% because i cant handle him not producing

i'm a MJ owner too and he'll be riding my bench. im waiting until hes a 100% because i cant handle him not producing

same here...I love him and what he is capable of, but not against Washington coming off an injury...honestly I would prefer he just sit it out and be 100% next week, but Del Rio never returns my calls when I offer up my advice.

Another MJ owner here (in 2 leagues). I am sitting him this week. If he shows something I'll start him next week at home vs the Jets. On the road coming off the injury is a little too risky for me, especially since Jones has not really established consistent production in the past.

LOL @ breakout game. Everyone's been so hard up for MJ, every game is going to be a breakout game. News Flash, the Jax are not a great passing team, and they have a great D. While I am in absolute awe of his physical prowess, I expect him to end the year in the 30-50 range in terms of WRs. Not exactly starting material. He'll most likely have a game or 2 where he catches a 60 yard td or 2, but thats the extent of it. Do not get your hopes high this year, and most likely as long as he's a jaguar he will not be a beast of a receiver, in terms of fantasy football....

Edit: and that's not even taking into account the current injury. Even if he was healthy, he shouldn't be starting in anything less than 14 team leagues, and even then only if you start 3 wrs...

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but don't you think Leftwich threw for so few yards last week because Matt Jones wasn't there? As for being consistent, in the first two games, he's had 5 receptions for over 70 yds each of those games and thrown to in the endzone twice.

I think he's Leftwich's favorite target because there is no DB that can cover him. Now, the health issue is the only thing to be concerned about, but the fact he's been practicing suggests he's fine. I really feel this week he will have a breakout game.

The last point is to get him cheap now because Jacksonville's schedule is easy after this week and their offense will be able to put up some yards.

5 Sun. Oct 8 Jets 4:05 p.m. ET

6 Bye WEEK

7 Sun. Oct 22 @ Texans 1:00 p.m. ET

8 Sun. Oct 29 @ Eagles 1:00 p.m. ET

9 Sun. Nov 5 Titans 1:00 p.m. ET

10 Sun. Nov 12 Texans 1:00 p.m. ET

11 Mon. Nov 20 Giants 8:30 p.m. ET

12 Sun. Nov 26 @ Bills 1:00 p.m. ET

13 Sun. Dec 3 @ Dolphins 1:00 p.m. ET

14 Sun. Dec 10 Colts 1:00 p.m. ET

15 Sun. Dec 17 @ Titans 1:00 p.m. ET

16 Sun. Dec 24 Patriots 1:00 p.m. ET

17 Sun. Dec 31 @ Chiefs 1:00 p.m. ET

Will likely sit him til after the bye week- hopefully he'll be healthy by then.

4 games against the Texans and Titans = :rolleyes:

4 games against the titans and texans = lots of maurice jones drew touches. Are people that hard up for Matt Jones that they believe the Jags to be a passing team?!? Silly wabbits...

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but don't you think Leftwich threw for so few yards last week because Matt Jones wasn't there? As for being consistent, in the first two games, he's had 5 receptions for over 70 yds each of those games and thrown to in the endzone twice.

I think he's Leftwich's favorite target because there is no DB that can cover him. Now, the health issue is the only thing to be concerned about, but the fact he's been practicing suggests he's fine. I really feel this week he will have a breakout game.

The last point is to get him cheap now because Jacksonville's schedule is easy after this week and their offense will be able to put up some yards.

5 Sun. Oct 8 Jets 4:05 p.m. ET

6 Bye WEEK

7 Sun. Oct 22 @ Texans 1:00 p.m. ET

8 Sun. Oct 29 @ Eagles 1:00 p.m. ET

9 Sun. Nov 5 Titans 1:00 p.m. ET

10 Sun. Nov 12 Texans 1:00 p.m. ET

11 Mon. Nov 20 Giants 8:30 p.m. ET

12 Sun. Nov 26 @ Bills 1:00 p.m. ET

13 Sun. Dec 3 @ Dolphins 1:00 p.m. ET

14 Sun. Dec 10 Colts 1:00 p.m. ET

15 Sun. Dec 17 @ Titans 1:00 p.m. ET

16 Sun. Dec 24 Patriots 1:00 p.m. ET

17 Sun. Dec 31 @ Chiefs 1:00 p.m. ET

"I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but don't you think Leftwich threw for so few yards last week because Matt Jones wasn't there?"

BINGO!!!

I'm may sit M. Jones too this week just b/c I'm worried about his cutting ability on that groin but he's the "stretch" in that JAX offense and you could see the downgrade in the passing attack when he was out against IND.

I have a funny feeling that he may come in this week and produce right away - especially if I bench him. I'm gonna try to get reports on JAX practice today.

Yeah he threw for less yards because Mjones wasn't there, because everyone knows the Jags offense lives and dies by the great established Matt Jones. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact the colts can be run on, and they ran up about 200 yards. Nothing to do with that, or the fact that they just aren't that great a passing team. It's all matt jones. He's proven himself over the past 8 years as the undisputed leader of that offense...

You all are probably the same people sitting at home sunday hoping a team will go for a 2 point conversion because they're down by 10 and you're getting 8...

4 games against the titans and texans = lots of maurice jones drew touches. Are people that hard up for Matt Jones that they believe the Jags to be a passing team?!? Silly wabbits...

No offense but did Jones bang your girlfriend or someting?

What's with all the MJ venom? Sure, JAX is a conservative offense and they will want to run and play great D but they did that against IND and lost. Del Rio will open it up some and they will get the ball to their best weapon - Matt Jones. Leftwich has a cannon and they will go deep for MJ as well as use him in the redzone.

When healhty, MJ is as much a threat as any WR in the NFL.

Yeah he threw for less yards because Mjones wasn't there, because everyone knows the Jags offense lives and dies by the great established Matt Jones. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact the colts can be run on, and they ran up about 200 yards. Nothing to do with that, or the fact that they just aren't that great a passing team. It's all matt jones. He's proven himself over the past 8 years as the undisputed leader of that offense...

You all are probably the same people sitting at home sunday hoping a team will go for a 2 point conversion because they're down by 10 and you're getting 8...

Yep........he definitely banged your girlfriend, mom or sister and you're :mellow: .

No offense but did Jones bang your girlfriend or someting?

What's with all the MJ venom? Sure, JAX is a conservative offense and they will want to run and play great D but they did that against IND and lost. Del Rio will open it up some and they will get the ball to their best weapon - Matt Jones. Leftwich has a cannon and they will go deep for MJ as well as use him in the redzone.

When healhty, MJ is as much a threat as any WR in the NFL.

Yep........he definitely banged your girlfriend, mom or sister and you're :shocking: .

Yes, he had a 4 way with my mom, sister, and girlfriend, you got me there moron...

No venom, just trying to make a counterpoint. From the preseason, certain 'knowitall' morons have had a hard on for MJones, as they have had a hard on for wally lundi, and 5 other players that will not do much this year. Sad part is, after seeing a few games, you still can't let the hard on down. You want it sooo bad, he will he will produce. I'm telling you he won't. Time will tell, and I'll bookmark this thread for the upcoming weeks. If he blows up, I'll eat my words like a man, something I doubt you or any others will after he doesn't. And to say this: When healhty, MJ is as much a threat as any WR in the NFL.

is just pure idiocy. Not even, it goes beyond idiocy, it's retarded...

Yes, he had a 4 way with my mom, sister, and girlfriend, you got me there moron...

No venom, just trying to make a counterpoint. From the preseason, certain 'knowitall' morons have had a hard on for MJones, as they have had a hard on for wally lundi, and 5 other players that will not do much this year. Sad part is, after seeing a few games, you still can't let the hard on down. You want it sooo bad, he will he will produce. I'm telling you he won't. Time will tell, and I'll bookmark this thread for the upcoming weeks. If he blows up, I'll eat my words like a man, something I doubt you or any others will after he doesn't. And to say this: When healhty, MJ is as much a threat as any WR in the NFL.

Good comparison - Matt Jones to Wali Lundy since they're both on the same talent level right?

Sad part is, after seeing a few games, you still can't let the hard on down. You want it sooo bad, he will he will produce. I'm telling you he won't. Time will tell, and I'll bookmark this thread for the upcoming weeks. If he blows up, I'll eat my words like a man, something I doubt you or any others will after he doesn't. And to say this: When healhty, MJ is as much a threat as any WR in the NFL.

You're basing this on the 3 games he played when healthy? Seems like he put up decent numbers to me. For the past several years the Steelers have not been a passing team yet Hines Ward and some years Burress put up very good stats. Point is, you don't have to be on a "passing team" to get good numbers from your WRs. Last year, Moose did okay with absolutely no QB on a run first team. I think you're under-estimating the fact that M. Jones is a big part of the Jags' offense.

Good comparison - Matt Jones to Wali Lundy since they're both on the same talent level right?

LOL found that quite funny as well

And those 5 'other' mystery players. Ooohhhh, I wonder who they could be.....

You're basing this on the 3 games he played when healthy? Seems like he put up decent numbers to me. For the past several years the Steelers have not been a passing team yet Hines Ward and some years Burress put up very good stats. Point is, you don't have to be on a "passing team" to get good numbers from your WRs. Last year, Moose did okay with absolutely no QB on a run first team. I think you're under-estimating the fact that M. Jones is a big part of the Jags' offense.

I'm not saying he isn't, and I'm not saying he'll end the season with 13 catches for 208 yards. My point is he isn't going to produce like the people with a hard on for him believe he is going to produce. There is a significant middle ground between 13 for 208 and 95 for 1400 with 15 tds, and that's where he will end up, much like 80% of the rest of the wrs in teh league. People on here run around like he's an established player, and the jags offense lives and dies by his playing, which is highly inaccurate. And while he's only played 3 games so far, the jags history, leftwich's history and their solid defense should hold some weight in backing up the opinion that they will be passing minimally at best. And who exactly annoited him their best playmaker? Via the 3 games he played, one of which he did nothing it. Get my point, there is far more evidence to support the theory that he will be mediocre than there is that he'll be a stud. Wishful thinking doesn't pay the bills last I heard...

I might as well drop Matt Jones right now for Eric Parker because POOH said so. Why do I even get on this forum for info, I should just ask POOH for advice.

Why do you insist upon being SUCH an A$$H0LE?

I'm not saying he isn't, and I'm not saying he'll end the season with 13 catches for 208 yards. My point is he isn't going to produce like the people with a hard on for him believe he is going to produce. There is a significant middle ground between 13 for 208 and 95 for 1400 with 15 tds, and that's where he will end up, much like 80% of the rest of the wrs in teh league. People on here run around like he's an established player, and the jags offense lives and dies by his playing, which is highly inaccurate. And while he's only played 3 games so far, the jags history, leftwich's history and their solid defense should hold some weight in backing up the opinion that they will be passing minimally at best. And who exactly annoited him their best playmaker? Via the 3 games he played, one of which he did nothing it. Get my point, there is far more evidence to support the theory that he will be mediocre than there is that he'll be a stud. Wishful thinking doesn't pay the bills last I heard...

You wrote that on the high end Jones could be a top 30 WR. Even the people who had Jones rated high (specifically, those you referred to as having a hard on for him) before their drafts, probably had him @ WR20 with upside. Tops. So you're dumping on the people that had Jones rated high while you had him somewhere in the next tier. If anything, the people that had C-Pepp, Caddy, A. Brooks, Chambers, etc. rated high are better targets. M. Jones is @ where he was expected to be albeit without the TDs. In my opinion, the TDs are unpredictable for most players and M. Jones will have his share. So far, M. Jones is 2 TDs away from having very good fantasy season (when healthy) which is just short of the expectations of those with "hard ons" for him.

Most preseason estimates for MJ were far more modest than your exaggerations.

80/1000/7 was the majority opinion, and I think he'll absolutely hit those numbers. he's a giant, and matches up like a Gates to LBs or DBs...he's faster than LBs and makes the DBs look like dwarves next to him. In the red zone he's the Jags best target, and they're a yeam who's struggled to run at the stripe for a couple seasons now.

Leftwich, when healthy, has several 300+ games under his belt. I agree with those who say his passing numbers were down because MJ was out. And when the Colts give them so much room on the ground (FT+MJD = 200+ RuYds) why should they throw more?

This is one of the lamest talent evaluations I've ever seen. No one's basing anything on 3 games - we're not as myopic and short sighted as you. By season's end (hell, by week 8) you'll look quite foolish for this post, I'm sure.

80/1000/7 was the majority opinion, and I think he'll absolutely hit those numbers. he's a giant, and matches up like a Gates to LBs or DBs...he's faster than LBs and makes the DBs look like dwarves next to him. In the red zone he's the Jags best target, and they're a yeam who's struggled to run at the stripe for a couple seasons now.

Leftwich, when healthy, has several 300+ games under his belt. I agree with those who say his passing numbers were down because MJ was out. And when the Colts give them so much room on the ground (FT+MJD = 200+ RuYds) why should they throw more?

This is one of the lamest talent evaluations I've ever seen. No one's basing anything on 3 games - we're not as myopic and short sighted as you. By season's end (hell, by week 8) you'll look quite foolish for this post, I'm sure.

:dunno: :lol:

pOOh = OWNED!!

"By season's end (hell, by week 8) you'll look quite foolish..."

I don't think we'll have to wait that long for Pooh to look foolish.

"By season's end (hell, by week 8) you'll look quite foolish..."

I don't think we'll have to wait that long for Pooh to look foolish.

no, indeed we will not. His 260 yard 2 td game yesterday alone takes care of that. Oh wait, that was ocho cinco, not Matt Jones. Let me guess, next week is the absolute breakout game. He's 100% healthy, and will absolutely blow up, the rest of the way. I've got a raging clue that the Jax O has been sucking because of the lack of Matt in there. My clue is pointing in the direction of the Jax becoming a 38 pts/game team, with matt scoring 1.8 tds a week the rest of the way out...

:(

man am I looking foolish! He's getting a lot of targets, as expected! Especially in the red zone. He's unstoppable in the redzone! When healthy that is. Oh wait, is he healthy right now?!? Maybe not?!? Maybe his hands hurt from the 2nd job they have as siccors. Let me reiterate, every guy you morons had pegged as a 'sleeper' will not pan out. There is no shame in it. THe shame is in needlessly hanging onto the guys long after knowing they will not produce for the season. Almost as sad as hollyfield still trying to fight...