Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Bush to campaign for troubled GOP lawmakers

WASHINGTON - A congressman who admitted to having an affair and a senator accused of using racial slurs will get some political help from President Bush next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bush will make campaign stops Thursday in Pennsylvania and Virginia to help the two troubled Republicans as the GOP struggles to maintain its endangered grip on the House and Senate.

"The President has made a commitment, and he's going to fulfill the commitment," White House press secretary Tony Snow said Friday.

Bush's appearances are intended to give a boost to four-term Rep. Don Sherwood (news, bio, voting record), R-Pa., and Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record), R-Va.

Sherwood had one of the safest seats in Congress as his conservatism played well in his heavily Republican, rural district in northeastern Pennsylvania. Democrats didn't even bother fielding a candidate in the last two elections.

Then last year Sherwood admitted to a five-year extramarital affair with a woman 35 years his junior. He settled a lawsuit claiming he had choked her.

"Mr. Sherwood has certainly admitted to what has gone on, and the president also believes that we're all sinners, we all seek forgiveness, and in this particular case, he's supporting Don Sherwood's candidacy," Snow said.

Allen has spent weeks rebutting accusations he used racist language and liked Confederate symbols. The furor began Aug. 11, when the senator called a volunteer for his opponent "macaca," considered by some to be a racial slur, during a political rally.

"George Allen is not a bigot. Period," Snow said. "And you've had a number of black leaders who've come forward to make the point.

"So the president, absolutely, supports his candidacy," Snow said.

If I were a troubled GOP lawmaker I'd be begging Bush to stay away from my campaign. Then I'd choke-fock a girl 35 years my junior, send sexually explicit IMs to my congressional page, accept bribes from Jack Abramoff and exploit Christianist wingnuts for votes.

If I were a troubled GOP lawmaker I'd be begging Bush to stay away from my campaign. Then I'd choke-fock a girl 35 years my junior, send sexually explicit IMs to my congressional page, accept bribes from Jack Abramoff and exploit Christianist wingnuts for votes.

Christianism = Islamofascism...same ######...different equator...they both hate gays...are racist...more alike than they think.

Christianism = Islamofascism...same ######...different equator...they both hate gays...are racist...more alike than they think.

Hi, Rusty.

Hi, Rusty.

I don't like you either...you're as bad as the cons...even worse actually...because you're not a lost cause. I like your domestic politics...but you buy the official 9/11 story...yo ain't nothin' but a sheep to me.

I don't like you either...you're as bad as the cons...even worse actually...because you're not a lost cause. I like your domestic politics...but you buy the official 9/11 story...yo ain't nothin' but a sheep to me.

That's nice, Rusty. :huh:

That's nice, Rusty. :huh:

You should know better. Cons...they just be dumb and ######...they're as mongloidal as the day as long. You...you're young...happening...urbane...your home is in the 9/11 Truth Movement.