Sign in to follow this  
Team Revell

The Official Bears versus Giants thread

Even though it is two weeks away, both teams have byes next week meaning we can start the trash talking now.

Doesn't get any bigger than this. The 8-0 Bears roll into the Meadowlands to take on the streaking 6-2 Giants on Sunday Night Football.

As much as I despise night games I will be in attendance. :cry:

PREDICTION- Giants win 17-14. Brandon Jacobs leaves cleat marks on Urlacher's chest. :banana:

I think it's clearly a matchup of the NFC's best two teams. I'm a little worried about how Eli will handle the Bears D, but they can be had, especially on the road. I think the Giants D is going to expose Grossman...again. They're playing insanely well right now, despite missing 3 starters. Should be a great game, and I think the Giants take it.

I think it's clearly a matchup of the NFC's best two teams. I'm a little worried about how Eli will handle the Bears D, but they can be had, especially on the road. I think the Giants D is going to expose Grossman...again. They're playing insanely well right now, despite missing 3 starters. Should be a great game, and I think the Giants take it.

The Giants D is average at best.

Grossman "exposed"? He had one bad game and 6 good games so far this year. If anything, he will expose the NY D.

While the Bears are on the road, they have been anticipating this east coast road swing and on the national stage, will definately bring their A game.

giants dont have a bye next week they play the texans at home....never overlook a crap team look what the texans did to jaxonville ...but i do agree that the g men will end the bears undefeated season 24-17

I'm a Bears fan for life, and if anyone can beat Chicago this year, it's either the Giants or the Patriots. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Chicago meet the Giants in the playoffs either. Giants are going to do their thing. Both sides Defenses will be playing their butts off, but the Giants D, while good, is not near the caliber of Chicago. There will be sacks on both sides. There will be interceptions on both sides. The Giants will most likely shutdown Chicago's running game, and the Bears have every ability to do the same to Tiki, but after seeing what he's done to every other "run stingy" defense they've played, he will be a key component to their offensive efforts, but their Bears SHOULD be able to limit him for the most part. So that leaves our 2 QBs. Eli is a consistant player and will be up to Chicago to stop him. I think the win or lose component is going to be on Rex Grossman's abilities as a QB and a leader. If he can keep his composer and not try to force big plays like he did in Arizona, and limit the turnovers (hopefully none), then Chicago has a very strong shot at keeping the streak going. Assuming, of course, they don't lose in Miami. :banana: In a nutshell, this game will be decided by QB ability and downfield coverage. Anyway that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

We're getting a little ahead of ourselves here, they don't play until week 10, and the NFC Championship game is a long way off. However, it would be awesome if it worked out that way.

Anyway, Go Giants! :banana:

:banana:

Despite what we've been hearing about how "great" this D has been playing, they rank pretty mediocre statistically.

Rushing Yardage Against: 12th in the league

Rushing TD's Against: Tied for 19th in the league

Pass Yardage Against: 20th in the league

Pass TD's Against: Tied for 16th in the league

They have been opportunistic and are getting a decent number of sacks and turnovers, but in the categories that most measure a team defense by, they are mediocre.

Despite what we've been hearing about how "great" this D has been playing, they rank pretty mediocre statistically.

They have been opportunistic and are getting a decent number of sacks and turnovers, but in the categories that most measure a team defense by, they are mediocre.

Those stats are due to the fact they got absolutely lit up the first three weeks of the season. Since then they've been playing much much better.

They throttled the Skins and Bucs offenses, beat the piss out of Vick, and forced a ton of sacks and turnovers versus the Cowboys.

Those stats are due to the fact they got absolutely lit up the first three weeks of the season. Since then they've been playing much much better.

They throttled the Skins and Bucs offenses, beat the piss out of Vick, and forced a ton of sacks and turnovers versus the Cowboys.

Precisely.

Over the past three weeks, the D is averaging 13 points allowed, 5 sacks and 2 turnovers per game.

Grossman is going to get a great look at the New Jersey sky on a crisp autumn night.

Here's the problem with that. Prior to the bye week the Giants defense had some very serious issues. They have a revamped secondary that suffered from communication issues early on and rountinly had lapses where guys were left -completly- uncovered. Additionally, they weren't getting any pass rush, but with all the pass rushers they have, it was only going to be a matter of time before that came around. During their bye week, they focused on the correcting these issues and the results have been huge. The stats are what they are, but this is clearly not the same defense we saw in the first couple weeks of the season.

And despite their early struggles, in the stat that matters most, points, they are 8th in the league.

It is also worth noting that the Giants have played against an inordinate number of high powered offenses.

In terms of YPG they have played the Eagles (#1), the Colts (#2), the Cowboys (#5), the Falcons (#6).

In terms of PPG the Colts (#3), the Cowobys (#4), the Eagles (#5), and Atlanta (#12)

They also played @ Seattle before Hasselback and Alexander went down.

The only two below averages offenses they faced- The Redskins and the Bucs- they shutdown entirely.

Perhaps the strength of the offenses they have gone against should be factored in to their rankings.

Keep in mind I'm a Giants fan and almost got blown away at the tailgate yesterday at the Bucs game....and almost got blown off the 26th row on the upper deck, but still watched Tiki drags his way for that first down.....and buress make that sick catch...

Giants Win 24 - 17

Projected Fantasy Days:

Giants

Tiki - 25 carries 90 yrds 4 catches 25 yrds

Jacobs - 8 carries 30 yrds 1 TD

Eli - 240 yrds, 2 TD, 2 Int

Shockey 3 catches 40 yrds 1 TD

Buress 4 catcehs 90 yrds 1 TD

Bears

Thomas Jones - 25 carreis 80 yrds 1 TD

Cedric Benson - 8 carries 15 yrds

Grossman - 170 yrds 1 TD, 3 Int

Berrian - 3 catches 80 yrds 1 TD

Wow I really am a loser....

Go Big Blue

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Atlanta run for 213 yards on them, with Dunn getting 146 on 14 carries?

Didn't Dallas throw for 338 yards on them, and it was mistakes more than anything that killed them?

Again, they've been opportunistic and have made some big plays, but the yardage rankings seem pretty accurate even since the bye. They are allowing teams to move down the field on them.

They may be an above average D, but they aren't in the same league as the Bears D.

I think at this point the Bears are the best team in the NFL. They've certainly played that way to date. But I also think we'll know a little bit more about both of these teams after this game.

I think at this point the Bears are the best team in the NFL. They've certainly played that way to date. But I also think we'll know a little bit more about both of these teams after this game.

:headbanger:

Agreed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Atlanta run for 213 yards on them, with Dunn getting 146 on 14 carries?

Didn't Dallas throw for 338 yards on them, and it was mistakes more than anything that killed them?

Again, they've been opportunistic and have made some big plays, but the yardage rankings seem pretty accurate even since the bye. They are allowing teams to move down the field on them.

They may be an above average D, but they aren't in the same league as the Bears D.

You can say the same thing regarding a rookie QB for the Cardinals lighting the Bears up on national TV. :pointstosky:

You guys can say what you want in this thread, but the official thread will be titled BEARS 34 GIANTS 3. And it won't be posted until after next week’s game. (Or whenever Walt decides its time)

Just a few considerations here, as we are mostly on the same page. Much of Atlanta's rushing numbers came off of one big run by Dunn, a 90 yarder, and a lot of Vick scrambling. Atlanta's running game was no where near as effective as the numbers would suggest, and there were an awful lot of runs that went for no gain or losses.

As far as the Dallas game goes, when you are facing a team with weapons like Owens, Glenn, and Witten facing a prevent, again, the numbers don't necessarily reflect the way the defense played. Also, keep in mind, the Giants lost a starting LB, CB, and DE, plus an additional back up CB and DE in that game. So there were an awful lot of reserves out there on the field when most of those numbers were put up.

You are right, this is not the Bear's defense. But it is a very good unit who has been playing at an extremely high level since the bye week.

You can say the same thing regarding a rookie QB for the Cardinals lighting the Bears up on national TV. :thumbsup:

No, you can't.

1) Despite that game, the Bears rank in the top of nearly every defensive category.

2) The Cardinals only moved the ball in the 1st quarter, they didn't light up anyone.

3) The Bears Defense has shut down their opponents, including the Cardinals, for 27 quarters of football. They have looked poor in 1 quarter of football.

There really isn't even the remotest of comparisons between the Cardinals getting 2 offensive drives in the 1st quarter and the Giants allowing many of their opponents to move the ball on them.

No, you can't.

1) Despite that game, the Bears rank in the top of nearly every defensive category.

2) The Cardinals only moved the ball in the 1st quarter, they didn't light up anyone.

3) The Bears Defense has shut down their opponents, including the Cardinals, for 27 quarters of football. They have looked poor in 1 quarter of football.

There really isn't even the remotest of comparisons between the Cardinals getting 2 offensive drives in the 1st quarter and the Giants allowing many of their opponents to move the ball on them.

The Giants are WAY more tested. Chicago has played the softest schedule and would not look nearly as good statistically had they faced the teams the Giants have week in week out. The Giants have faced the #1, #2, #5, and #6 offenses, and that's not including Seattle who they faced in Seattle, where they are far better, and with Alexander and Hasselbeck in the line up. Chicago is a very good team. But why are their fans flexing their chest beating teams like Green bay and San Francisco?

Sooooooooooo sick of the Giants and Cowboy fans thinking their two teams are the only one in the NFL. Dallas sucks. The Giants are mediocre but improving. The Bears are great on both sides of the ball and have the best special teams in the business. Talk about Arizona all you want. But when it came down to it, they won. There are a lot of teams that could never have done what the Bears did two weeks ago. It was one of the best games I have ever seen. The Bears willed themselves to victory. The refused to accept defeat. They over looked Arizona for all but 15 minutes. And that was enough. They will not over look Miami. They will be ready for the Giants. This is a special kind of season the Bears are putting together. If you don't get your head out of your homer asses, you are going to miss it. It will be the toughest match-up of the season. If were the last of the three games away, I might say that NYG had a chance, but they don't. Bears by 10.

The Giants are WAY more tested. Chicago has played the softest schedule and would not look nearly as good statistically had they faced the teams the Giants have week in week out. The Giants have faced the #1, #2, #5, and #6 offenses, and that's not including Seattle who they faced in Seattle, where they are far better, and with Alexander and Hasselbeck in the line up. Chicago is a very good team. But why are their fans flexing their chest beating teams like Green bay and San Francisco?

They aren't beating teams like Green Bay and San Fransisco, they are completely destroying them. They are manhandling them in ways that don't typically happen in the NFL. And the team is 7-0 at this point.

The Giants got their asses handed to them by Seattle. Chicago did the ass handing. That is the only common game we have, and home field and Shaun Alexander aren't worth about 45-50 points.

Sooooooooooo sick of the Giants and Cowboy fans thinking their two teams are the only one in the NFL.

Are you kidding me? Most Dallas and Giants fans have acknowledged Chicago as the best team in the NFL right now. Their teams have played good teams week in week out. Chicago has looked awsome, but against a lot of really bad teams, and their fans have already handed themselves the super bowl. As good as Chicago has been, they have not been tested. The NFC East and South have been beating each other up while Chicago has been fattening themselves up playing weak teams in the West and North.

Are you kidding me? Most Dallas and Giants fans have acknowledged Chicago as the best team in the NFL right now. Their teams have played good teams week in week out. Chicago has looked awsome, but against a lot of really bad teams, and their fans have already handed themselves the super bowl. As good as Chicago has been, they have not been tested. The NFC East and South have been beating each other up while Chicago has been fattening themselves up playing weak teams in the West and North.

No one is handing the Bears the Superbowl. The fans are simply excited by the fact that the team is 7-0, has the highest point differential through 7 games in modern history, and they do consider them to be the Superbowl favorite at this point.

If you can't deal with that, you're simply jealous, because I guarantee that Giants or Cowboys fans would be plenty confident about their team's chances of getting to the Superbowl if they were 7-0 and crushing teams.

Besides, they'll be plenty "tested" between now and the end of the season, so you can rest easy about that one. Heading into this weekend, the Bears remaining opponents were 27-30 and the Giants remaining opponents were 30-26. Outside of the game against each other Chicago's other opponents were 22-28 and NYG's were 22-26. So, pretty much an identical schedule from this point forward...

No one is handing the Bears the Superbowl.

It sure sounded like that guy I responded to was. ;) Look, I think we can all agree that Chicago is a great team. But they have not yet been tested this season. Of their seven wins, for of them have come against teams with no more than 2 wins, five of the seven against teams with three or fewer wins. NY and NE will be good tests for them.

It sure sounded like that guy I responded to was. :lol: Look, I think we can all agree that Chicago is a great team. But they have not yet been tested this season. Of their seven wins, for of them have come against teams with no more than 2 wins, five of the seven against teams with three or fewer wins. NY and NE will be good tests for them.

I don't think he was putting them in the Superbowl, but is more tired of the schedule argument that doesn't have a heck of a lot of merit.

The Seattle game was a test that they passed with flying colors, Alexander or not. Going into the game, probably around 50% of the fans were favoring Seattle (who was coming off of an impressive ASS WHIPPING of the Giants). And the Bears not only beat them, they made them look like they didn't belong on the same field.

Please don't tell me that that team is soooo much different without Alexander, because they won a playoff game last season with Maurice Morris due to Alexander being hurt early. He's not worth 30 points, and that game proved that the Bears were clearly the better football team.

I do agree that the early part of this schedule was pretty easy overall. But it's not like this team is scraping out last second victories at home against Tennesee, like Indy has done. They are doing what they should be doing to these teams, and then some. They aren't the only team that has faced an easy schedule to start the season, and yet no team in NFL history has a higher point differential through 7 games. They deserve credit for what they've done, and not some lame "not tested" label.

It sure sounded like that guy I responded to was. :lol: Look, I think we can all agree that Chicago is a great team. But they have not yet been tested this season. Of their seven wins, for of them have come against teams with no more than 2 wins, five of the seven against teams with three or fewer wins. NY and NE will be good tests for them.

They will. I am not handing them the SB but I am seriously impressed with their play. There are several good tests on the schedule. NYG, NE, MN (the let down game), StL can be tough and if they get to week 17 without a loss, GB will be pumped up to play. The shutout in week one and what will most likely be Brett Favre's final game as a pro... You can bet that will be the night game. I am actually hoping it gets to that last game.

But it's not like this team is scraping out last second victories at home against Tennesee, like Indy has done. They are doing what they should be doing to these teams, and then some. They deserve credit for what they've done...

Yes, I agree. And I don't know anyone who has not given them credit. A lot of credit, in fact. But I think it'll be the NYG and New England games that will tell the tale if this is a legitmate SB favorite, as most believe, or just a bully (I don't think they are). You mentioned Indi, and that is a great example with how they went out in the playoffs last season. Chicago has done everything you would want them to do thus far, but if I were a fan, I would be very interested to see how they perform against playoff level competition. They'll have their chance to prove it, I'm just not certain they've had the opportunity just yet.

Yes, I agree. And I don't know anyone who has not given them credit. A lot of credit, in fact. But I think it'll be the NYG and New England games that will tell the tale if this is a legitmate SB favorite, as most believe, or just a bully (I don't think they are). You mentioned Indi, and that is a great example with how they went out in the playoffs last season. Chicago has done everything you would want them to do thus far, but if I were a fan, I would be very interested to see how they perform against playoff level competition. They'll have their chance to prove it, I'm just not certain they've had the opportunity just yet.

So the Bears lose to both NYG and NE and finish 14-2 - they are still a SB contender. Last year Indy beat Pitt in the regular season handily and then got bounced in the post season. The same thing COULD happen this year.

Regardless of what happens in the next few weeks, I think both NY and Chi will be two of the primarys in the NFC title picture. Chi could go 16-0 and then get bounced in the playoffs - we'll just have to wait and see what happens. For now, they are favourites but that and a $5 will get you a starbucks latte.

So the Bears lose to both NYG and NE and finish 14-2 - they are still a SB contender. Last year Indy beat Pitt in the regular season handily and then got bounced in the post season. The same thing COULD happen this year.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be. But those games will give us a better idea how they matchup physically against that level of competition. I think the biggest takaway we'll get out of those games is seeing how the Bear's young QB responds to the pressure games. I think for Chicago, that would be the one concern.

5-2 and first place in their division, playing against a very tough schedule, not bad for a mediocre team. :cheers:

I'm not saying they wouldn't be. But those games will give us a better idea how they matchup physically against that level of competition. I think the biggest takaway we'll get out of those games is seeing how the Bear's young QB responds to the pressure games. I think for Chicago, that would be the one concern.

Grossman's mechanics are atrocious. He throws off his back foot often. He doesn't throw on the run very well. Some time I think with mirrors. He is a chucker. Seems like there is still a little college kid to beat out of him just yet. But he is making completions. He drives the offense from one end of the field to the other with apparent ease. Text book he is not. Effective he is.

Didn't they beat both those teams?

Didn't they beat both those teams?

Try and follow here, we're talking about the defense.

My moneys on the Giants. The Bears have been doing just fine, but they've really had a pretty easy schedual up to this point, aside from their huge victory over Seattle. Should be one hell of a game :huh:

Try and follow here, we're talking about the defense.

Like the defense that only gave up 3 points this week against a team that BEAT the Eagles?

I'm a Bears fan for life, and if anyone can beat Chicago this year, it's either the Giants or the Patriots. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Chicago meet the Giants in the playoffs either. Giants are going to do their thing. Both sides Defenses will be playing their butts off, but the Giants D, while good, is not near the caliber of Chicago. There will be sacks on both sides. There will be interceptions on both sides. The Giants will most likely shutdown Chicago's running game, and the Bears have every ability to do the same to Tiki, but after seeing what he's done to every other "run stingy" defense they've played, he will be a key component to their offensive efforts, but their Bears SHOULD be able to limit him for the most part. So that leaves our 2 QBs. Eli is a consistant player and will be up to Chicago to stop him. I think the win or lose component is going to be on Rex Grossman's abilities as a QB and a leader. If he can keep his composer and not try to force big plays like he did in Arizona, and limit the turnovers (hopefully none), then Chicago has a very strong shot at keeping the streak going. Assuming, of course, they don't lose in Miami. :lol: In a nutshell, this game will be decided by QB ability and downfield coverage. Anyway that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I feel just about the same exact way....except of course I'm a Giants fan :D

All my Bear-fan friends are pretty nervous for those two matchups too.

The Giants defence has improved immensly since their buy week, and shut down the Cowboys and Falcons offence. It still doesn't compare to the power of the Bear's D though. And their offence has overcome challenges that the Bears offence hasn't had to yet. Eli's explosive 4th quater comeback against the Eagles can be compared to the Bears comeback on the Cardnels though. But Eagles > Cardnels.

Final score - Giants 20/21 & Bears 17 ¿?

Like the defense that only gave up 3 points this week against a team that BEAT the Eagles?

Beat the Eagles on defensive TD's you mean?

Eagles gave up 196 total net yards.

Giants gave up 174 total net yards.

Why are you wasting our time, isn't there some game that's halfway completed that you can be "predicting" the outcome of?