Sign in to follow this  
Lizard1

Freethrow Rule?

After watching the UT-A&M game last night where Law went to the foul line with secondsleft in the game and his team down by 3, I was curious about a rule in what defines a freethrow. So Law had to make the first then purposefully miss the second and hope for one of his teammates to get the rebound. But who's to say that he can't just pass the ball to one of his teammates behind the 3 point arc instead of shooting the freethrow. What really constitutes an "attempt"??? I know if the freethrow is an airball, the refs blow the whistle and the ball is dead but I just looked up the rules and it doesn't say anything about that.

Here's the link to the rules: http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_9.html?nav=ArticleList

Am I missing something obvious?

The ball has to hit the rim.

That's what happens but it does not say anything about that explicitly in the rules. I'm wondering if it's one of those "Well that's just the way it's done" rules and is actually open to interpretation. If I were a coach in that situation, I'd pull the ref aside, let him know about the actual wording of the rules and then have my player pass it to one of his teammates for a field goal attempt.

Your link is incomplete. Also, it is a link to NBA rules, but the rule about hitting the rim is the same.

i knew the link was for NBA but figured it'd be the same for the NCAA as well. But that's what I was wondering...if it was incomplete and there was more to the story. Where did you find the rule saying it had to hit the rim?

. Where did you find the rule saying it had to hit the rim?

I didn't even look. The rule has been the same since I played ball back in the late '70s early '80s. Pretty much common knowledge.

I didn't even look. The rule has been the same since I played ball back in the late '70s early '80s. Pretty much common knowledge.

yeah, i mean i've been playing basketball since i was a kid, always knew the ball had to hit the rim, i mean whenever the shooter air balls it they immediately blow the whistle... the same goes for when they try to purposely miss is and only hit backboard ;)

i know - i played ball through junior yr of college and the refs would blow the whistle for an airball.....but WHERE is that stated in the rule book. I've searched the internet for BBall rules and it never mentions it

i know - i played ball through junior yr of college and the refs would blow the whistle for an airball.....but WHERE is that stated in the rule book. I've searched the internet for BBall rules and it never mentions it

Read Rule 9, Section 1, Article 2a of the NCAA Basketball rulebook, there Normy:

The free-thrower shall release the try within 10 seconds and in such

a way that the ball enters the basket or touches the ring or flange

before the free throw ends.

This, in conjunction with the definition of a free throw, indicates that either the ball goes in or it hits the rim on the free throw or the ball is dead. There is further definition that denotes that the ball is dead on a free throw if it has not hit the rim and it hits the ground or another player. HTH

Reminds me of way back in HS, going up for a layup and I took a massive shot from the defender. Landed awkwardly and smacked my head into the floor.

Take my first FT and I miss by 4 feet, rim backboard, net...not even close, defender on the box actually catches the ball. Cause I took the first one, I had to take the second one...somehow I made that one. Coach immediately pulls me from the game where I sort of sat dazed for the rest of the day.

It may have been the worst FT in the history of basketball, so I have that going for me. :dunno: :lol: :lol: