Sign in to follow this  
chris_dub

Brian Westbrook value

I posted this in the Help forum...but nowadays it could take weeks to get a response:

---------

I have him as my RB#2 in a Dynasty League. He's behind LJ & ahead of M. Barber & M. Moore on my active roster...with Davenport & Houston on my taxi squad.

What do you seel Westbrook doing this year & beyond? (I currently have him under contract for 2 more seasons). I'm getting a little worried about his age & health, although he played great for me last season. I'm just starting to think if I should deal him away while his stock is high. Anyways, and thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

This is tough, although you clearly need depth at RB since you have only two clear starters. I would be concerned with health when it comes to Westbrook - he's a guy I always pass on one round too long and usually kick myself for doing so. I would try to get a 2 for 1 with him. Maybe a young up and coming RB (with some risk) like Ronnie Brown or Carnell Williams and a low end starter.

i too have Westy, and i've had him for several years - he's probably the most underated commodity, and up until this year you could never get good value for him since he's always missed a few games...

that said, if i were to trade him it would have to be for two backs w/ upward potential at a minimum...

i'm probably being lopsided in what i'd want for him, but i would go after say (Caddy or Benson) + like DeAngelo Williams... if i could get Caddy (who i see having a big bounce-back year) and DeAngelo (who i see definitely getting the clear-cut #1 job in CAR) i would be extremely content. Especially since it would allow me to build depth and have potential for a few years.... let me add the caveat that my other RBs this past year were KJ and Barber, so i have to do something to rebuild my RB squad...

Westy managed to play 15 games last year, we'll 14 but the last week they already clinched a playoff berth and rested him. He was questionable three-four weeks that makes him a tough start. He even looked better when McNabb went down. I expect him to continue to tear it up the next few years. He is always underrated when it comes to rbs.

Thanks for the replies so far. And I agree mostly, if I were to trade him it would be for like 2 RB's. I forget to mention that this is a PPR league, which makes him even more valuable. He was the 5th ranked RB in our league last season. Our rookie draft is coming up, so I may try to see if I can swing Westy in a deal for a young RB or two, or maybe a higher draft pick than I currently hold (7th).

Again, thanks for the replies...any more are always welcome.

I think Westbrook turned a corner last year as regards playing with injuries. He was injured for most of the year, but manned up and answered the bell. Even with an increased workload and when the season seemed lost when McNabb when down.

I think the next 2-3 years are going to be Westie's prime.

I posted this in the Help forum...but nowadays it could take weeks to get a response:

---------

I have him as my RB#2 in a Dynasty League. He's behind LJ & ahead of M. Barber & M. Moore on my active roster...with Davenport & Houston on my taxi squad.

What do you seel Westbrook doing this year & beyond? (I currently have him under contract for 2 more seasons). I'm getting a little worried about his age & health, although he played great for me last season. I'm just starting to think if I should deal him away while his stock is high. Anyways, and thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

I'm on the fence with this one. I imagine it really comes down to how you feel about the rest of your team. If you think you're team is definitely in contention and your expectations for him next season are a big part then I say keep him and get a championship. If you think your team is more marginal and you've got enough youth on your roster showing potential I'd think about a trade.

On one hand, after his season last year, I think his value right now is as high as it's going to get. Here's a stat I don't see used much but the numbers will bear it out, 70% of NFL running backs don't make it to a seventh season and over 80% don't make it to an eighth. It's a little misleading if you consider how many backs drafted even become their teams starter in the first place, etc. but it's still a significant number. Another and more obscure stat and one that I can't quote exactly right is the correlation between a players length of career and level of production relative to the number of times that player has missed time, been listed as doubtful and been listed as questionable on the IR measured against years in the league. Since I can't quote it I understand if this doesn't carry any merit but I will say, based on what I do remember, that Westbrook is definitely well onto the wrong side of that measurement. Although he did basically make it through the entire season last year I would caution that it didn't improve the overall health of his body. On the other hand, he really was valuable last season to those who own him and I think it's fair to expect he should be pretty much the same again this year.

I think his current value is enough to warrant two players if the trade is with someone in the right situation to mortgage a bit of future for immediate success. Since I don't know all the particulars about your league, it's scoring and other rules I won't venture to guess at which players in my opinion he'd be worth but I'm sure you've got that handled anyway. From my own experience, the stats mentioned have proven more useful than hurtful in my dynasty league although I did get hosed by trading Curtis Martin off too soon.

Best of luck.

great player with three prime years left.

look for 1500+ total yards in '08, 09 & 10.