Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

Anyone have a Sony PSP?

My playstation broke, warranty is expired on it. For many reasons, (including increased travel) I might go with the Sony PSP. I ONLY play Madden, baseball and hockey . . . I don't care about any other features on the system. How's this thing for playing sports games? How's the screen for viewing players in these games? How's the manueverability of players without a joystick?

TIA - TH

Get a DS...it's a tip!

I don't know, that thing looks pretty gay. Why are there two screens if I'm playing one game? I would rather one larger screen. It's cheaper, but I'm not crazy about it.

The PSP screen is not bad. Easy to scratch.

I prefer the console/big screen combo ... going to a handheld I find I play less. (maybe a good thing?)

I prefer the digital pad to the analogue stick so if you are an analogue stick player the transition could be frustrating at times.

DS is fun, but different types of games. Stylus is great but anything without the stylus is a pain.

$0.02

The PSP screen is not bad. Easy to scratch.

I prefer the console/big screen combo ... going to a handheld I find I play less. (maybe a good thing?)

I prefer the digital pad to the analogue stick so if you are an analogue stick player the transition could be frustrating at times.

DS is fun, but different types of games. Stylus is great but anything without the stylus is a pain.

$0.02

Where the fock have you been??? :thumbsdown:

Where the fock have you been??? :wacko:

I thought I made it well known . . . I got a new job back in January and fftoday is blocked. For my sake, it's better that it is.

I thought I made it well known . . . I got a new job back in January and fftoday is blocked. For my sake, it's better that it is.

Not you, QLazz...Slruc :wacko:

Tony Hardware is QLazz? :wacko:

Finkle is Einhorn? :wacko:

THIAFT? :wacko:

LoL. I've been around.

Lotsa life stuff gettin in the way of my posting. :wacko:

decided to lay low a little when the posts got to be the same redundant crap.

Now a night poster...

Good to "see" you all again tho....

Tony Hardware is QLazz? :wacko:

Finkle is Einhorn? :wacko:

THIAFT? :wacko:

I can't confirm that, and I kinda doubt it, mainly 'cause TH seems like he is the smarts while QLazz is a miserable POS, but it was a rumor for awhile :wacko:

I can't confirm that, and I kinda doubt it, mainly 'cause TH seems like he is the smarts while QLazz is a miserable POS, but it was a rumor for awhile :wacko:

Oh wait...did I start that? :wacko: I can't remember.

LoL. I've been around.

Lotsa life stuff gettin in the way of my posting. :wacko:

decided to lay low a little when the posts got to be the same redundant crap.

Now a night poster...

Good to "see" you all again tho....

Nothing good can come from this :wacko:

Nothing good can come from this :banana:

Agreed.

Now I'll never reach my goal of 2K posts in 5 yrs. :mad:

Agreed.

Now I'll never reach my goal of 2K posts in 5 yrs. :mad:

You obviously need better motivation...

Let me try....

You are a dirty ho, and I know what your user name means :mad:

:banana:

You obviously need better motivation...

Let me try....

You are a dirty ho, and I know what your user name means :mad:

:mad:

Awe shucks. :mad:

Feels like i haven't missed a beat. Now all I need is a

"Who are you?"

And a

"Fock Off [insert random username other than mine]"

(perhaps followed by a drunken post)

and I'll be back in the swing.

Awe shucks. :mad:

Feels like i haven't missed a beat. Now all I need is a

"Who are you?"

And a

"Fock Off [insert random username other than mine]"

(perhaps followed by a drunken post)

and I'll be back in the swing.

You don't really want to go there...You have obviously had a life for awhile...Try and find it again. :mad:

My playstation broke, warranty is expired on it. For many reasons, (including increased travel) I might go with the Sony PSP. I ONLY play Madden, baseball and hockey . . . I don't care about any other features on the system. How's this thing for playing sports games? How's the screen for viewing players in these games? How's the manueverability of players without a joystick?

TIA - TH

I own a PSP, Madden 07, and MLB 07 The Show. They all rock - especially Madden. It's a great system for playing sports games - even online... There is one analog "nub" on the PSP - it's more than enough to allow any movement in Madden you would ever need.

I have had a PSP since they came out...great toy.

The graphics are every bit as good as a PS2. Frame rates and all that are smoothe.

Yes, the screen can scratch easily. Invest the couple of $ to get a screen protector (sheet of plastic film to cover the screen.)

There is the equivalent of a left analog stick (but no rigth stick.) It does the job nicely. Personally, I picked up a bigger knob to go on the stick for a better grip.

One thing to consider...there have been many rumors going around lately that the PSP is due for a significant price reduction (I think a PSP costs more than a PS2 these days), a redesign (w/built-in flash memory?) or both.

If you get one and decide to buy a bigger Memory Stick so you can store some music or movies on it, get the biggest one you can. I have a 1GB MS and it can only hold one feature legnth film. You would also likely have to purchase some desktop software if you watned to use these features.

Another thing to think about...God of War II just came out on the PS2. First, supposed to be an awesome game. If you get the PSP instead of replacing your PS2, you won't be able to play it. Second, GOWII is going to be the last major exclusive release for the PS2. Many games on the PSP are ports from the PS2. With less support/development for the PS2, what will that mean for the PSP? Will it result in better games as they will be designed directly for the PSP or will it result in fewer games for the PSP as the development costs may not be justified by the smaller user base?

I have had a PSP since they came out...great toy.

The graphics are every bit as good as a PS2. Frame rates and all that are smoothe.

Yes, the screen can scratch easily. Invest the couple of $ to get a screen protector (sheet of plastic film to cover the screen.)

There is the equivalent of a left analog stick (but no rigth stick.) It does the job nicely. Personally, I picked up a bigger knob to go on the stick for a better grip.

One thing to consider...there have been many rumors going around lately that the PSP is due for a significant price reduction (I think a PSP costs more than a PS2 these days), a redesign (w/built-in flash memory?) or both.

If you get one and decide to buy a bigger Memory Stick so you can store some music or movies on it, get the biggest one you can. I have a 1GB MS and it can only hold one feature legnth film. You would also likely have to purchase some desktop software if you watned to use these features.

Another thing to think about...God of War II just came out on the PS2. First, supposed to be an awesome game. If you get the PSP instead of replacing your PS2, you won't be able to play it. Second, GOWII is going to be the last major exclusive release for the PS2. Many games on the PSP are ports from the PS2. With less support/development for the PS2, what will that mean for the PSP? Will it result in better games as they will be designed directly for the PSP or will it result in fewer games for the PSP as the development costs may not be justified by the smaller user base?

The PS2 still outsells the PS3 and PSP.

Here are the Feb '07 sales from NPD, link

Hardware

Nintendo DS 485,000

Wii 335,000

PlayStation 2 295,000

Xbox 360 228,000

PlayStation Portable 176,000

Game Boy Advance 136,000

PlayStation 3 127,000

GameCube 24,000

Xbox 480

Software

360 - Crackdown 427,000

Wii - Wii Play W/Remote 371,000

NDS - Diddy Kong Racing 262,000

Wii - Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess 130,000

PS2 - Guitar Hero 2 W/Guitar 130,000

360 - Gears Of War 119,000

360 - Major League Baseball 2k7 113,000

360 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition 111,000

Wii - Warioware: Smooth Moves 109,000

360 - NBA Street Homecourt 102,000

Notice that there are no PS3 or PSP titles in the top software listings, and that the amazing Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 (seriously, I would buy a PS2 just for Guitar Hero 2, it's that good - my cousin has it) is the #1 selling videogame for Sony consoles. Even though there is no longer EXCLUSIVE PS2 content being produced, there will be PS2 development for many years - there are still new games coming out for the Game Boy Advance (which itself outsells the PSP!)

Bottom line - the PSP will continue to get new titles, and will continue to get the benefit of stuff developed for the PS2.

My favorite game system is still the original Atari, though :thumbsup: