Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel Boy

Do any of you fockers know anyone that is a home based travel agent

I'm thinking about pursuing this field. Currently, I work about 65 hours a week splitting between my normal job of about 50 hours a week and teaching online class the other 15. We are going through some major changes at my work and a year from now I have no idea what will happen, so I like to plan ahead just in case. Anyway, this has interested me, but I haven't done much research on it yet. What little I have read about it sounds like it's not as easy as I originally thought. A lot of sites I've read have suggested those going into the field take a lot of cruises and tours to familiarize themselves. That would be cool, but Mrs. TBoy is a realtor and she wouldn't be able to just up and leave.

Anyway, just curious if any of you knew home based travel agents and what are the positives/negatives.

Grassy ass.

davebg's mom is a home based travel agent. Of course, she's based out of davebg's home and there's dog crap all over the place.

Good luck.

How would you compete with Travelocity, Expedia and similiar online companies?

It would probably be tough and that was another downfall. I'll probably just stick with online teaching if I have to. The pay is pretty good.

You need to find a niche market. Don't try to go head-to-head against the big internet agencies (Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) or cruise lines by being an average, run-of-the-mill agent. Specialize in a country (France, Spain, New Zealand), a region (Central America, SE Asia), or a specific type of traveler (retirees, backpackers, wine connoiseurs) and learn that particular niche extremely well.

Any knucklehead can find a typical package tour on the internet, but many travelers will shell out extra cash to agents who know a lot about a specific country, a region, or places to go that fit a specific type of traveler.