Sign in to follow this  
Dogma

Deuce McCallister

I'm wondering how much Deuce has left. He's 29 and coming off a decent season but has struggled through a few injuries. Also, how do you think the Siants will use him this year. Can we expect Bush to take even more carries this year?

It's worth noting that two teams placed two RBs in the top 20 last year - New Orleans and Jacksonville. The situations are rather similar, and I expect them to be copied around the league. MJD is the best thing that ever happened to Fred Taylor, and I think the same can be said for Bush and McAllister. I expect Bush to put up huge numbers this year, but also think there is room for McAllister to be a solid fantasy option. If this works out we may start seeing more RBs who stick around and stay productive past age 30.

i tend to think that situation is going to be very similar to last season, given the fact that Bush/McCallister have two very different running styles and both are capable of putting up big numbers... Bush may see a few more carries - but that would probably also result in less receptions for him... I still think most of the gl/sy yardage goes to McC...

probably alot of sets w/ both guys in the backfield though, as it is tough to sit either one for too long. it's a great scenario for the coach though, as he can keep them both fresher longer, which means they should both still have a great burst going into the fourth quarter...

but if i had to pick just one for this upcoming season, and it was in a non-keeper, non-ppr league, i'd go w/ McCallister...

I agree that I think most teams will look to copy the Saints and Jags success with two backs. I wasn't sure what McCallister's contract looked like so it made me wonder if maybe the Saints would look to evolve Bush's role more into a lead back and phase Deuce out gradually until his contract expired and then allow him to move on.

I wasn't sure what McCallister's contract looked like

Deuce is under contract until 2012...

numbers look like: 2.6mil this year, 3.6, 5.2, 6.2, 7.1, 8.1

those are just his base salary numbers from NFLPA...

Deuce is under contract until 2012...

numbers look like: 2.6mil this year, 3.6, 5.2, 6.2, 7.1, 8.1

those are just his base salary numbers from NFLPA...

So if these numbers are accurate then we can expect Deuce somewhere else within a year or two? After this year that number starts to get large when you look at how much they are paying Bush.

So if these numbers are accurate then we can expect Deuce somewhere else within a year or two? After this year that number starts to get large when you look at how much they are paying Bush.

well, also add in there that he'll be 30 going into the 2009 season... so not only are they big numbers for a team that has an up-and-coming rookie, they are big numbers for a back w/ a slight injury history who will be over 30 yrs old...