Sign in to follow this  
chris_dub

Wes Welker

Will he flourish as a return man in NE like he did in Miami? Or do those jobs still belong to Troy Brown & Kevin Faulk...and Welker is just another mediocre WR that Brady can turn into a fantasy point-producer?

I wouldn't expect much from him as a fantasy player. In leagues that include return yardage, I think he will be OK, because my guess is that he will be returning punts (but not kicks).

As far as his wide receiver production, I would expect something like 60 catches for 700 yards, but very few TDs (maybe 2-3).

He will prove very valuable in real football terms though, as many of those catches will be big third down conversions that keep drives going. Thats what he was brought in for.

The #1 WR for the Pats is rarely a reliable point-producer. There's no way Welker would be anything more than a bye-week fill in.

I wouldn't expect much from him as a fantasy player. In leagues that include return yardage, I think he will be OK, because my guess is that he will be returning punts (but not kicks).

As far as his wide receiver production, I would expect something like 60 catches for 700 yards, but very few TDs (maybe 2-3).

He will prove very valuable in real football terms though, as many of those catches will be big third down conversions that keep drives going. Thats what he was brought in for.

Good post and good projections. One question though. Why don't you think he will be returning kicks? This question coming from a dynasty league player in 2 leagues that include return yards. THANKS for any input on this as it affects his value a lot in these 16 team leagues.

Good post and good projections. One question though. Why don't you think he will be returning kicks? This question coming from a dynasty league player in 2 leagues that include return yards. THANKS for any input on this as it affects his value a lot in these 16 team leagues.

Welker can't really break a huge return. He averaged only 22.2 yards per kickoff return last year, which is pedestrian, at best.

He is very quick (and sure handed), but not necessarily that fast. He just doesn't have the extra gear necessary to take a kick return to the house. This is not necessarily a problem for PR, but it will prevent him from being the primary KR, IMO.

Ellis Hobbs was ridiculously explosive returning kicks last year, and I see him probably getting the job again this year. Maroney was actually their main KR last year and did a very good job, but given that he is the primary back now, I have to assume it is too much of a risk for him to do it again this year.

So its possible that Welker could support Hobbs, but my guess is that Willie Andrews (2nd year DB) or somebody else gets the nod.

I am still trying to figure out why the heck NE would blow a 2nd and 7th on just another dude in Welker. What did he average, 10 yards per reception? The guy has zero explosiveness, doesn't appear elusive, and as mentioned, was 'pedestrian' on KOs.

I know BB thinks the Pats are ready for the superbowl this year, and the Brady window is starting to close, but the 15 loose parts labeled WR they brought in this offseason strikes me as a very, very motley crew.

Stallworth is pure fools gold. YOu never know when he's going to show up and actually play.

Chad Jackson still has the partial ACL tear.

Welker is just another dude.

I still think NE really needs a top WR. Wonder if they will trade their #2 for DJack? Wouldn't that be funny for them to get a legit #1 WR from Seattle after raping them by sending the crappy Deion Branch to Seattle for a #1?

I am still trying to figure out why the heck NE would blow a 2nd and 7th on just another dude in Welker. What did he average, 10 yards per reception? The guy has zero explosiveness, doesn't appear elusive, and as mentioned, was 'pedestrian' on KOs.

I know BB thinks the Pats are ready for the superbowl this year, and the Brady window is starting to close, but the 15 loose parts labeled WR they brought in this offseason strikes me as a very, very motley crew.

Stallworth is pure fools gold. YOu never know when he's going to show up and actually play.

Chad Jackson still has the partial ACL tear.

Welker is just another dude.

I still think NE really needs a top WR. Wonder if they will trade their #2 for DJack? Wouldn't that be funny for them to get a legit #1 WR from Seattle after raping them by sending the crappy Deion Branch to Seattle for a #1?

Based on his three seasons in Miami, Welker is a very good niche receiver. He won't be the guy going deep and he won't do much for YAC, but he will be a very reliable possession receiver and keep the chains moving. I think "I Got Worms" posts are right on about this guy. Welker did lead all Dolphins receivers in reception percentage the past two seasons by a landslide. He gets open enough and he catches whats thrown to him. He also provides the experience to be useful now which may or may not make a case for what the Pats gave for him but if it does pay off in another Championship no one will care and if it doesn't, I doubt it will be due to Welkers performance. He'll hold up his end.