Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

DUI is not funny

From Wells Fargo Daily Investor newsletter.

Finally, if you are acting responsibly these days about appointing "designated drivers" among family and friends, you will want to keep up with the latest legal developments. Here are three recent events that may affect you:

- In Sylvania, Alabama recently, police arrested a woman who was riding a horse while intoxicated and charged her with driving while intoxicated. It's unlikely the judge will parse the difference between "driving" and "riding" since she crashed her horse into a police car while (it was discovered later) she was under the influence of multiple mind-altering substances. (So, if you shouldn't be driving, don't think a horse solves your problem.)

- Here's another poor solution: In West Monroe, Louisiana last week, police arrested a man and charged him with DUI for driving a lawnmower down the middle of the street. You guessed it: His steering was, um, erratic. Luckily, no one was hurt, and the arrested man, who is 48 years old, was released on $650 bond. Police returned the lawnmower to its rightful owner, the man's mother. Grow up, Dude. (Was it a Deere?)

- However, if you happen to be partying in New Jersey, and you see a Zamboni coming down the road, give it a wide berth. A judge in Newark just ruled that a man who was driving a Zamboni on an ice rink while under the influence was not guilty of DUI. Why not? He wasn't intoxicated? No. He was on an ice rink? No. According to the judge, the man was not guilty because a Zamboni is not a vehicle that can be driven on streets and is not a vehicle that can accommodate passengers. That ruling may sound dangerously close to a dare to many college students, so this issue may not be over yet. We hope no one gets in a bad scrape, as it were, and that all ends well. ("Honey, I have to make a quick run to the hardware store. Where did you park the Zamboni?")

Love the Zamboni one! And, don't jump on my ass about the seriousness of DUI. Look at the title topic.

i grabbed some pamphlets this weekend to assist in planning a canoeing trip. its illegal to operate a watercraft drunk.

post drunk while you can :dunno:

i grabbed some pamphlets this weekend to assist in planning a canoeing trip. its illegal to operate a watercraft drunk.

post drunk while you can :dunno:

You sure you are reading the stuff right? There's no motor....... :lol:

I go tubing every summer.  We all grab a tube, a cooler, put our cig's and lighters in plastic bags and off we go.  You pretty much have to chug a beer pretty quick to have a smoke as we don't pollute with either butts or cans.  It would be just my luck to get arrested for DUI while "operating" an inner tube!

You sure you are reading the stuff right? There's no motor....... :dunno:

I go tubing every summer.  We all grab a tube, a cooler, put our cig's and lighters in plastic bags and off we go.  You pretty much have to chug a beer pretty quick to have a smoke as we don't pollute with either butts or cans.  It would be just my luck to get arrested for DUI while "operating" an inner tube!

im quoting..."operating a watercraft while intoxicated is illegal."

same quote on like 5 different pamphlets. :lol:

A zamboni can be driven on a street.

BOISE, Idaho: Two employees of the city's ice skating rink have been fired for making a midnight fast-food run in a pair of Zambonis.

An anonymous tipster reported seeing the two big ice-resurfacing machines chug through a Burger King drive-thru and return to the rink shortly after midnight Nov. 10. The squat, rubber-tired vehicles, which have a top speed of about 5 mph (8 kph), drove 1 1/2 miles (2.4 kilometers).

The Zamboni operators, both temporary city employees whose names and ages were not released by officials, had to drive through at least one intersection with a traffic light on their late-night creep from Idaho Ice World.

"They were fired immediately," said Parks Department Director Jim Hall. "We're pretty sure it was just the one time. When we interviewed them, they didn't seem to be too concerned about it. I don't think they understood the seriousness of it."

Hall said neither the $75,000 (€58,200) Zambonis nor their $10,000 (€7,760) blades appeared damaged, but the city could charge the employees with operating an unlicensed motor vehicle on a public street.

Also......Think I would have to challenge this

VERMILION, OHIO -- A man is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday for a drunk driving charge. He says he never should have been charged in the first place because he was on a lawn mower.

It's his third drunk driving arrest in six months. The first time he was in a van; the next in a car. This time he decided to hop on his 20-horsepower lawn mower.

The officer who arrested him captured it all on dash cam video. Just before 10 p.m. Friday, an officer saw 50-year-old Dondi Bowles driving on the sidewalk along Berkly Road in Vermilion. The officer says Bowles smelled of alcohol and his speech was slurred. He arrested Bowles after giving him a field sobriety test. Later, Bowles blew a .144 -- almost twice the legal limit.

Bowles admits he had a few beers but thought driving his lawn mower 10 m.p.h. on the sidewalk was OK. "I didn't know you could get a DUI on a bike or a lawnmower," Bowles said. "That's the difference. If I knew that, I would've walked."

Police say he drove the mower to a store about a mile from his home and was arrested on his way back.

"If you're operating any vehicle under the influence, you're under OVI, bicycles, lawnmowers, cars trucks, etc," Vermilion Police Patrolman Scott Holmes said.

Holmes says even if you're in your own backyard and your drunk on any type of vehicle, you can be arrested for operating a vehicle impaired.

The lawn mower was towed.

Bowles says he won't be in court Tuesday to face this drunk driving charge because he's going to be in a local hospital getting treatment for alcohol addiction.