Sign in to follow this  
staypuft29

Gore out with broken hand

I think "injury-prone" is a most over-used adjective when it comes to football players, especially running backs. Anyone who has ever suffered an injury goes on the list. I have news for you, anyone who puts on a helmet and totes the rock 20 to 35 times a game, while 300+ pound guys do their best to put the hurt on him, is going to be prone to injury. Bones are bones and sometimes they break. Some guys maybe have worse luck when it comes to avoiding injury, but it is not like they aren't all exposed to the risk. I think Gore is going to be fine. He'll heal up before the season starts, and use the week 1 game against the Cardinals to knock the rust off.

furthermore, do you honestly expect a coach that takes over a 2-14 team to have much better than an 11-21 record as a coach?

Amen. The Great Bill Walsh (RIP) went 8-24 his first two years after taking over a 2-14 team. :thumbsup:

...of course, he did win a championship the year after that. I expect no less from Nolan this year. :pointstosky:

With regard to Jackson, I believe Coach Linehan did specifically talk about reducing Jackson's load this season. I don't remember where the article was, but I remember reading it a while ago and going, "Hm...."

FWP had the untilmate TD vulture in 05, the bus, when Willie got goal line duties he performed well, Gore didnt have a TD vulture to take from him, he just didnt punch it in

Good point, but did you read the rest of my post? No, Gore didn't have the "ultimate" TD vulture in the Bus, but he still wasn't getting goal line carries for the entire first half of the season. The only reason you didn't hear about this is because Michael Robinson couldn't actually score TDs despite getting handed most of the goal line carries. In the second half of the season, once Gore started getting more chances, he scored more touchdowns.

Good point, but did you read the rest of my post? No, Gore didn't have the "ultimate" TD vulture in the Bus, but he still wasn't getting goal line carries for the entire first half of the season. The only reason you didn't hear about this is because Michael Robinson couldn't actually score TDs despite getting handed most of the goal line carries. In the second half of the season, once Gore started getting more chances, he scored more touchdowns.

Anyone thinking that Robinson will be Gore's backup better watch the depth chart this pre-season. My money is on Hicks all the way unless Clayton becomes something.

When the season starts - handcuff Gore with Hicks.

Does anyone have any new news on Gore? I havent seen anything in a week or so. Is he running, watching movies, any info since the swelling went down......in his hand of course???

info would be nice......

I just took Gore at the #3 spot in a draft this morning. I like his offensive line--some good young players meshing with a guy like Larry Allen. Darrell Jackson will provide Smith with a much more stable #1 option on the perimeter and that makes either Lelie or Battle decent (and even Jason Hill if he has a great camp).

Gore fumbled a bit early on, but it was his first full year as a starter. I account it as a growing process. I don't believe he was a fumbler in college, despite his limited opportunities due to injury. As for the injury, Jamal Lewis had an ACL tear at UT the year before he was drafted and for a number of years he had good production in the pros. I'm not overly concerned about his hand injury, either. 3-5 carries per preseason contest is not going to help you get into a rhythm. He also had more runs of 20 yards or greater than any back in the league last season. He's a very solid, all around choice on a squad that should continue to get better.

Norv Turner may be gone, but I find rationale that his absence will hurt the offense to be over emphasized. When Norv has left other jobs in recent years, production went down because (IMO) injuries or losses of personnel to the offensive line.

I compare the Niners line to the recent development of the Eagles line. Both teams drafted good players who are beginning to develop. The Eagles line developement was apparent last year after 2-3 years of picks. I think the Niners will experience a similar ascent this year with Baas and Smiley coming to the fore.

Alex Smith has also shown that he's only getting better and don't underestimate the importance of having a disciplined receiver like Jackson. Bryant was way more talented physically, but he wasn't the kind of teammate on the field that would help you win with the little things that Jackson will do. Despite playing on a bad wheel, Jackson still posted good numbers. I think this greatly enhances offensive production for everyone.

I've heard people argue that a better Niners offense will mean less production for Gore. Did going from a better Colts offense to a worse Cardinals offense mean better production for Edgerrin James? Did Duece and Reggie have worse production because Drew Brees was the second best FF QB in 2006? That stuff doesn't fly...

Does anyone have any new news on Gore? I havent seen anything in a week or so. Is he running, watching movies, any info since the swelling went down......in his hand of course???

info would be nice......

he'll be ready for the regular season. he's been attending training camps, but he hasn't been practicing. just running and conditioning and stuff. he's supposed to be out for 3 preseason games but should be back in time for the 4th week of preseason. he actually could probably be playing right now, but nolan is being cautious because it's preseason and there's no reason to risk further injury.

he'll be ready for the regular season. he's been attending training camps, but he hasn't been practicing. just running and conditioning and stuff. he's supposed to be out for 3 preseason games but should be back in time for the 4th week of preseason. he actually could probably be playing right now, but nolan is being cautious because it's preseason and there's no reason to risk further injury.

sure hope so.....thanks, cornkobb

I just took Gore at the #3 spot in a draft this morning. I like his offensive line--some good young players meshing with a guy like Larry Allen. Darrell Jackson will provide Smith with a much more stable #1 option on the perimeter and that makes either Lelie or Battle decent (and even Jason Hill if he has a great camp).

Gore fumbled a bit early on, but it was his first full year as a starter. I account it as a growing process. I don't believe he was a fumbler in college, despite his limited opportunities due to injury. As for the injury, Jamal Lewis had an ACL tear at UT the year before he was drafted and for a number of years he had good production in the pros. I'm not overly concerned about his hand injury, either. 3-5 carries per preseason contest is not going to help you get into a rhythm. He also had more runs of 20 yards or greater than any back in the league last season. He's a very solid, all around choice on a squad that should continue to get better.

Norv Turner may be gone, but I find rationale that his absence will hurt the offense to be over emphasized. When Norv has left other jobs in recent years, production went down because (IMO) injuries or losses of personnel to the offensive line.

I compare the Niners line to the recent development of the Eagles line. Both teams drafted good players who are beginning to develop. The Eagles line developement was apparent last year after 2-3 years of picks. I think the Niners will experience a similar ascent this year with Baas and Smiley coming to the fore.

Alex Smith has also shown that he's only getting better and don't underestimate the importance of having a disciplined receiver like Jackson. Bryant was way more talented physically, but he wasn't the kind of teammate on the field that would help you win with the little things that Jackson will do. Despite playing on a bad wheel, Jackson still posted good numbers. I think this greatly enhances offensive production for everyone.

I've heard people argue that a better Niners offense will mean less production for Gore. Did going from a better Colts offense to a worse Cardinals offense mean better production for Edgerrin James? Did Duece and Reggie have worse production because Drew Brees was the second best FF QB in 2006? That stuff doesn't fly...

Agreed. I have him very high as well as long as this wrist thing isnt serious.

1. I agree that the Norv loss is being overrated.

2. Question - How bad is DJax's toe injury? (I don't like toe problems for WRs.)

3. Question - Is Antonio Bryant still is 49er after he serves his suspension? Is the suspension 6 games or 8 games?

Good post.

1. I agree that the Norv loss is being overrated.

2. Question - How bad is DJax's toe injury? (I don't like toe problems for WRs.)

3. Question - Is Antonio Bryant still is 49er after he serves his suspension? Is the suspension 6 games or 8 games?

antonio bryant is no longer on the team, the niners cut him at the end of last season. as far as djax's toe injury, it's hard to say. he seems kind of over-dramatic about it, and from what i hear, his practice habits haven't exactly been stellar so far in training camp. with that said, he has proven himself in this league and he has produced year in and year out so until i see otherwise, i expect a solid season out of him.

So, any new developments on who the top backup – the better handcuff – for Gore is? I see M.Robinson listed as 2 and Hicks as 3 on the depth chart but not sure if that’s accurate, anyone know anything? And who is this Thomas Clayton guy? Could he emerge as the backup to Gore?

So, any new developments on who the top backup – the better handcuff – for Gore is? I see M.Robinson listed as 2 and Hicks as 3 on the depth chart but not sure if that’s accurate, anyone know anything? And who is this Thomas Clayton guy? Could he emerge as the backup to Gore?

michael robinson is the top backup right now, with hicks at #3. clayton hasn't looked very solid in training camp, he dances a little too much and needs to learn how to hit the hole.

michael robinson is the top backup right now, with hicks at #3. clayton hasn't looked very solid in training camp, he dances a little too much and needs to learn how to hit the hole.

Thanks. I assumed it was Robinson but a lot of what I read made it seem like Robinson might not fend off Hicks or Clayton. I guess Hicks and Clayton haven't done anything thus far (I know, its very early in camp) to show they can move ahead of Robinson.