Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

Who's picking 12th in a 12-team league?

Well I'm picking 12th since I won last year in a redraft league. Everything is pretty much standard scoring. What is the best thing to do, Rb/Rb, Rb/WR, Rb/QB???

The only way I'd do Rb/Qb is if Manning is sitting there but I never went with a qb that early. I could go Rb/WR and pick the best available RB (Bush, Maroney, Henry, etc) and go with Steve Smith or C. Johnson. OR go Rb/Rb and hope to grab Bush and Maroney or Rudi.

What do you think?? What are other people doing at the 12th pick??

This is a spot with a lot of options this year, but is tougher because of that. I think you're in a position where you can consider PManning. You're at a spot where there is usually a solid crop of receivers available at 3.12 & 4.01, so you could plan to snag 2 WRs there like Housh, Driver, or maybe Burress. That would leave you free to go RB/RB if you like the choices, or RB/QB if Peyton survives the first rd.

If you were a little higher in draft order I would recommend RB/WR since a decent RB2 usually survives the bulk of rd 3 and makes a steal from the mid-to-late positions, but in my experience it's far too risky banking on one making it to the 3/4 bend (unless you like Deuce or Caddy at the turn). Your late position is a little too early to be getting good value at WR (the highest WR ADP is 2.04 IIRC) and plenty early to have good options left at RB and possibly QB for your 2nd pick, so I would be targeting those positions then. I think I'd be most likely to go RB/RB, as the selection is still usually pretty good, and as I said it's tough to find a decent RB2 at the 3/4 bend.

Picking Peyton could still be an option, but you'd have to be prepared to reach a bit for your RB2 at 4.01, or else accept a guy from the 5.12 or later crowd to be your 2nd. Neither option is one I find particularly appealing. Brandon Jacobs does sometimes turn up at 3.12/4.01 which would make RB/QB/RB/WR pretty appealing, but it's not frequently enough to build a strategy on it - someone in the middle of the 3rd usually gets him.

Well I'm picking 12th since I won last year in a redraft league. Everything is pretty much standard scoring. What is the best thing to do, Rb/Rb, Rb/WR, Rb/QB???

The only way I'd do Rb/Qb is if Manning is sitting there but I never went with a qb that early. I could go Rb/WR and pick the best available RB (Bush, Maroney, Henry, etc) and go with Steve Smith or C. Johnson. OR go Rb/Rb and hope to grab Bush and Maroney or Rudi.

What do you think?? What are other people doing at the 12th pick??

I have the 12th as well.

I've had Manning the past two years and I'm not taking him again with my first two picks. He is not going to throw 49 TDs again.

If I feel that there is a great player available at #13 like Maroney, I like the idea of picking RB-RB, otherwise I am high on Chad Johnson this year.

In my league I think Manning and Smith or Owens will go in the first, leaving me pretty good options for my two picks.

I am still evaluating the WR talent that will be available in rounds 3 and 4 so - if I feel that I can get two very good WRs at those spots I will most likely pass on CJ and just take RB-RB. You can get two very solid picks here - and if you do take RBs you are forcing guys with the 11, 10, 9, etc. to take the best available RBs as well - leaving 2 more WRs on the board when it gets back around to you.

In a PPR league where you don't have to start any RB's if you elect not to. If Maroney is still available, I probably will take him... otherwise I am going stud WR theory. Probably Holt (knee has to be okay) because I am a Rams fan and he is as good as any top tier WR, and either Harrison or Smith.

Do you think guys like: Palmer, Bulger and Brees will put up Manning like numbers? If they come close to it, I'll probably just pass on Manning (if he is still available at the 1.12/2.01 spot, which I hope he is not that way it frees up an extra RB) and go RB/RB. Then on 3.12/4.01 I can grab either WR/WR or WR/QB and with the QB I can get probably Bulger or Brees I think. I feel either of those 2 would fall. Even Brady would fall I think. But if I go WR/WR then with the 5.12/6.01 grab a QB there, like a Hasselbeck. Would it be too early to grab Young or Leinart there? It's tough to say....maybe I'll keep doing some mock drafts and try different scenarios and see how they turn out.

I did a few mocks today. All drafted from 12th spot. Which team do you like best.

Team A

Qb: M. Bulger - Rd 4, M. Schaub - Rd. 13

RB: L. Maroney - Rd. 1, W. McGahee - Rd 2, D. Foster - Rd. 9, M. Bush - Rd. 12

WR: J. Walker - Rd. 3, C. Chambers - Rd. 5, B. Berrian - Rd. 7, K. Curtis - Rd. 10, B. Jones - Rd. 11

TE: T. Gonzalez - Rd. 6, E. Johnson - Rd. 15

K: N. Rackers - Rd. 14

DEF: Patriots

Team B

QB: M. Hasselbeck - Rd 6 (Just realized I only drafted 1 qb :doublethumbsup: )

RB: W. McGahee - Rd. 1, D. Williams Rd. 4, C. Taylor - Rd. 7, C. Brown - Rd. 9, M. Bush - Rd. 12

WR: C. Johnson - Rd. 2, A. Boldin - Rd. 3, Cal. Johnson - Rd. 5, B. Jones - Rd. 11, Sin. Moss - Rd. 14

TE: V. Davis - Rd. 8, E. Johnson - Rd. 15

K: J. Wilkins - Rd. 10

DEF: 49ers

Team C

QB: P. Rivers - Rd. 5, C. Pennington - Rd. 11

RB: L. Maroney - Rd. 1, M. Barber - Rd. 3, C. Talyor - Rd. 7, L. Jordan - Rd. 8, P. Holmes - Rd. 14

WR: C. Johnson - Rd. 2, M. Colston - Rd. 4, R. Brown - Rd. 6, M. Jones - Rd. 9

TE: R. McMichael - Rd. 13, E. Johnson - Rd. 15

K: J. Wilkins - Rd. 12

DEF: Eagles D - Rd. 10

i have the 12 spot this year, and have done numerous mocks, as well as research. in my opinion, the best way to go is rb-rb-wr-qb-wr-rb. the only two exceptions i recommend is if gates falls to you at 3.12, in which case, you grab him and get your qb in the 8th, or if you go rb-rb-wr-wr-rb-wr-rb-qb.

nothing you cant win from the 12 spot just get hammered at the draft and make fun of everyone else's picks, thats my strategy

My first 4 picks after drafting from the 12th spot are:

Rudi Johnsom

FWP

Roy Williams

Javon Walker

I ended up with the following as well:

Caddy

T Bell

M Turner

Darrell Jackson

S.Holmes

Eli Manning

Matt Hasselbeck

I wouldn't hesitate to draft from the 12spots again

This is a spot with a lot of options this year, but is tougher because of that. I think you're in a position where you can consider PManning. You're at a spot where there is usually a solid crop of receivers available at 3.12 & 4.01, so you could plan to snag 2 WRs there like Housh, Driver, or maybe Burress. That would leave you free to go RB/RB if you like the choices, or RB/QB if Peyton survives the first rd.

If you were a little higher in draft order I would recommend RB/WR since a decent RB2 usually survives the bulk of rd 3 and makes a steal from the mid-to-late positions, but in my experience it's far too risky banking on one making it to the 3/4 bend (unless you like Deuce or Caddy at the turn). Your late position is a little too early to be getting good value at WR (the highest WR ADP is 2.04 IIRC) and plenty early to have good options left at RB and possibly QB for your 2nd pick, so I would be targeting those positions then. I think I'd be most likely to go RB/RB, as the selection is still usually pretty good, and as I said it's tough to find a decent RB2 at the 3/4 bend.

Picking Peyton could still be an option, but you'd have to be prepared to reach a bit for your RB2 at 4.01, or else accept a guy from the 5.12 or later crowd to be your 2nd. Neither option is one I find particularly appealing. Brandon Jacobs does sometimes turn up at 3.12/4.01 which would make RB/QB/RB/WR pretty appealing, but it's not frequently enough to build a strategy on it - someone in the middle of the 3rd usually gets him.

If i was picking 12th and manning fell to make i would take him and not think twice . Everyone says QB are the same they are not. Just last yeat Manning outscored every qb by 7 tds was the closest next QB. Only one other qb 9td with in manning everyone else was double digits behind. Everyone talks about consistancy he is the most consistant qb in the league not close. Picking 12th you need to select an advantage I would go Manning/And best available RB with the next round rb/wr if not wr/wr depending what back was there and yes i would strech for deep picks. Tatum bell ,Betts,M.Bell,McCallister<who i believe was a top 15 rb last year> fred taylor alot of value at rb late. Yes i know it dont make up for the other guy taking LT but no matter how you draft you not making up for it.