Sign in to follow this  
Exit 160

Drafting Techniques

if your last in a serpentine re-draft, this would of MAYBE been feasible in the glory days of Randy Moss and TO. however, there is such parity and indecisivness as far as who's #1 and #2 that you really can't justify taking anyone that early.

I wouldn't do it, but compare these two teams:

1 ----- 2

CJ - Henry

Harrison - Brown

Jacobs - Boldin

McAllister - McAllister

Taylor - DJax

Kitna - Kitna

The question becomes this: will the tandem of CJ/Harrison outscore Boldin/DJax more than Henry/Brown outscoring Taylor/Jacobs. Close but I think the rbs here would out perform the wr. If anything I would go rb-wr-rb. You can get a good WR with upside later in the draft.

yeah, that's where i got the idea from. However I don't see many people talking about that draft technique. I have the #4 pick. I was thinking taking Chad Johnson and then maybe T.O or a Steve Smith in the second round. and then draft RB RB RB. Hopefully this will throw a curve ball to the other league members and they'll take a wr earlier in the draft. then i'll have 2 starting RB's - not solid but still starters

what the hell do i know - just wanted to know if anyone is thinking about this technique or if anyone has tried this technique

thanks

the long answer is that it depends on so many more variables than what you've laid out, not worthy of a response.

at the #4 pick in a redraft no way!! you'd be giving up the likes of Addai, S. Alexander, Gore.

With the #4 pick in a redraft I think this might be the worst strategizing Ive ever heard of :first: . Addai ,Gore or LJ will be available. There is no way in hell anyone drafting that early would or should draft a WR. You will still be able to pick up a top 5 WR when it gets back to you in round 2 if you want to go that route. Dont overthink things and pick the best RB available at that spot.

If you are drafting late in a 12 team or 14 team league, WR-WR is a legitimate strategy.

What numbers are projected for Holt, Steve Smith, Harrison or TO? probably an average of 1300-1400 yds and 11 TD's.

What is projected for T. Henry, Ronny Brown, Edge, Maroney ,M. Jone-Drew or any of the other backs available at this stage? Probably something similar.

Then take the likelihood they will achieve their projected numbers. I think you could apply at least a 75-90% chance the wide outs will reach or approach their projected numbers. I don't think you could be anywhere near that certain on any of the RB's available.

Therefore, going with more of a known commodity, the WR-WR strategy is better.

:headbanger:

What if you are drafting in the 10 spot in a 12 team league? It is a serpentine draft and a ppr heavy league. You could justify going WR WR and get the production out of two top five WR's that you would get with a RB at 10 and 15. I am toying with this strategy myself. It just seems that there are about 6-7 wr's that could all produce similiar numbers to eachother and I would hate to pick the wrong two. Coming back at 34 and 39 could you get two starting rb's that would get you pts?

It really depends on scoring system and size of league. I have done this multiple times over the years and I have won the league a couple of times like that. It helps if you are in a smaller league. I have one league big money 1k team and it can work in that but in larger leagues it is a huge risk. It really depends on league, scoring and rules. Good luck!

If various years I have used this drafting method from the 9/10 spot

in a 10 team league. But I would advise against it this year just because

the top tier of WR's is so deep that you are not getting a clear advantage over

the other teams in that position, but you are at a clear disadvantage at RB.

With the #4 pick in a redraft I think this might be the worst strategizing Ive ever heard of :thumbsup: . Addai ,Gore or LJ will be available. There is no way in hell anyone drafting that early would or should draft a WR. You will still be able to pick up a top 5 WR when it gets back to you in round 2 if you want to go that route. Dont overthink things and pick the best RB available at that spot.

Exactly. You could get get CJ (or a comparable WR) at 2.9 or perhaps even at 3.4. It would make no sense to take a WR at #4.

What do you guys think of this idea... From the 7th position... How about going with Westy, FWP, or whoever drops to me, THEN go WR in the next 2 rounds and QB in the 4th round (to get a top 5 QB)?? I could then come back and get Norwood, Chester, or Jordan as my RB2 in the 5th. This way I would have 2 VERY good WRs and a top 5 QB. Would this work? My only weakness after the first 4 rounds would be my RB2 position, but I would be VERY strong at QB, RB1, WR1 and WR2. I am in a non PPR league, start 2 RBs and 3WRs. In rounds 5 and 6 I would get my RB2 and WR3. I think that this would make me more competitive overall instead of just following everyone else when they grab their RB2 and their WRs... Opinions?