Sign in to follow this  
today32

Who gets the Patriot Goaline Carries?

I'll be picking at #13 in a non-PPR 10-team league. I'll go RB in the first round, and plan on getting my second RB here at #13.

Due to his shoulder problems, Maroney may or may not slip into this group of available RBs, but just in case he does, I've been doing some DD on him and have been unable to find any quotes saying that Maroney will get the goaline carries.

According to last night's game, here were the shortyardage and/or deep red-zone carries:

1st QTR

3-3-NE 22 (7:58) 39-L.Maroney left guard to NE 24 for 2 yards (77-K.Jenkins).

4-1-NE 24 (7:06) 34-S.Morris right tackle to NE 29 for 5 yards (59-A.Seward).

2-5-CAR 7 (:53) 44-H.Evans right guard to CAR 5 for 2 yards (59-A.Seward).

2nd QTR

3-1-CAR 36 (9:26) 39-L.Maroney left tackle to CAR 34 for 2 yards (93-M.Rucker).

3-1-CAR 25 (1:07) 34-S.Morris right end to CAR 12 for 13 yards (43-C.Harris). (HOLDING PENALTY)

1-10-CAR 10 (6:23) 34-S.Morris up the middle to CAR 6 for 4 yards (43-C.Harris).

3rd QTR (Maroney probably out of the game at this point)

3-3-CAR 12 (13:26) (Shotgun) 34-S.Morris right tackle to CAR 8 for 4 yards (20-C.Gamble).

4-1-CAR 2 (2:34) 44-H.Evans right guard for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

I know this was just Maroney's first game back, but the above carries don't make me confident that Maroney will get all of the goaline carries. I know it's a possibility that the coaching staff may want to protect Maroney's shoulder from extra punishment, so that's making me a little hesitant. My gut says Maroney has a floor of 8 TDs and a ceiling of 13 TDs.

I might be choosing between Maroney, Bush, and MJD. If Maroney gets the goaline carries, then I'll go with him, but if not, I'm leaning towards MJD over Bush because of his consistancy last year (aside from the first 2 weeks of the year, had a low point total of 7 points), but Bush vs. MJD is a tough call.

Has anyone heard anything on Maroney and the goaline carries?

Why would you even be considering Bush or MJD in a non-PPR league at that spot? Those two players get the majority of their points on receptions and they are platoon players. They are both mid-late 2nd round picks in your draft.

Maroney is a lock for double-digit touchdowns. He will only lose goal-line carries to the passing offense, as the Pats like to use TEs and even linebackers at times (Vrabel) to score from the 5-yard line and closer.

The Pats have been in the top 10 in NFL scoring for the past three years, so you can't go wrong with Maroney as your 2nd RB.

Here is the group of 7 RBs that may be available, with their FFToday projected points:

L. Maroney (212)

M. J-Drew (206)

R. Bush (204)

R. Brown (203)

E. James (218, but this is before the Shipp goaline carries news)

W. McGahee (202)

B. Jacobs (201)

Even though it's a non-PPR league, MJD and Bush are still the best scorers available according to FFToday.

If Maroney is gone, I'm still leaning towards MJD due to his consistancy week to week.

Maroney is a lock for double-digit touchdowns. He will only lose goal-line carries to the passing offense, as the Pats like to use TEs and even linebackers at times (Vrabel) to score from the 5-yard line and closer.

Do you have a link to where the coaches have said this? I would tend to agree with your opinion because it seems logical to me, but I'd like to hear it from the coaches nonetheless. Like I mentioned before, I could forsee a situation where they pulled Maroney on goaline carries to protect his shoulder from additional pounding.

Don't even worry about it. Maroney will be gone before pick #13, trust me. I would take Chad Johnson at your spot and then get a very good RB2 in the 3rd round.

Maroney is hardly a lock to get 10+ TDs. The very fact this thread was posted shows some people do not feel confident about it. The Patriots score sure, but they can use Evans or Morris as running options near the goal just the same. Add in the jump balls to Moss and the play action passes to Watson, the quick slant to Stallworth and you have several people sharing the TDs this season.

His shoulder is problematic and one week he could get the goal line carries and be fine, but Bellicheck will not use him near the goal exclusively.

Look at his schedule, jets and miami twice, home with san diego, at dallas and home with Pitt. Nothing wonderful during the fantasy playoffs either. Assuming he stays healthy all year, you would be lucky to get 10 TDs out of him, a far cry from being a "lock."

Yes I think Maroney will be gone. I would take Chad Johnson at your spot and then get a very good RB2 in the 3rd round.

I won't be able to wait for a RB in the 3rd in our league, they fly off the board. Plus, all of the 7 RBs that I listed above will most likely produce at the same level or better than the top WR tier. I'd rather wait and take Wayne/Housh/Fitz/RoyWill in the 3rd and then in the 4th take Gates/Brees or a WR left over from the previous group of 4.

I think that MJD has a chance to hit 13-16 TDs again this year (w/ a floor of 9 TDs) since he's the main running back they use on the opponents' side of the 50, kind of like a mini-Westbrook since they give him the ball both on the ground and in the air. Because of all his success last year, they will get him more touches this year. Plus there's always the potential of having Taylor go down with an injury.

I don't think the top WR this year will have more than 13 TDs and 1400 yards. And while those are great numbers, I have no idea who that top WR will be. It's just not clear cut enough, that's why I'll wait until the 3rd to possibly get Wayne.

Do you have a link to where the coaches have said this? I would tend to agree with your opinion because it seems logical to me, but I'd like to hear it from the coaches nonetheless.

Why would you care what the coaches have to say when more often that not most things they say to the media are pretty irrelevant and using misleading during training camp and preseason.

Maroney is hardly a lock to get 10+ TDs. The very fact this thread was posted shows some people do not feel confident about it. The Patriots score sure, but they can use Evans or Morris as running options near the goal just the same. Add in the jump balls to Moss and the play action passes to Watson, the quick slant to Stallworth and you have several people sharing the TDs this season.

His shoulder is problematic and one week he could get the goal line carries and be fine, but Bellicheck will not use him near the goal exclusively.

Look at his schedule, jets and miami twice, home with san diego, at dallas and home with Pitt. Nothing wonderful during the fantasy playoffs either. Assuming he stays healthy all year, you would be lucky to get 10 TDs out of him, a far cry from being a "lock."

At least one thing is great about this bored, we now know that Belichick is currently posting under the moniker "JakeTrain72." Nice to know another NFLer is frequenting here.