Sign in to follow this  
Ilov80s

Harrison/Wayne Combo

Anyone hear pair Wayne and Harrison together? How about last year- like it? hate it? TIA

2 years ago i had carson palmer, chad johnson and tj houz. i drafted tj late and didn't really start him consistantly until 2nd half but they sent me all the way to the super bowl championship.

I have both, I dont see the problem... both are top 5 ranked

they had to do something right to get there.

Oh and I am a Niners fan, so if for some reason Manning goes down, then my ffleague will blow but my niners draft posistion should soar.

Wayne and Marvin maybe the exception to the rule, but I would still be concerned.

It means that rarely will both players excel their averages. Only on games where both get good yardage and score will your Wrs give you an edge. You will miss out on the games where Marvin and whatever other Wr you draft instead of Wayne both have huge games.

Wayne and Marvin maybe the exception to the rule, but I would still be concerned.

It means that rarely will both players excel their averages. Only on games where both get good yardage and score will your Wrs give you an edge. You will miss out on the games where Marvin and whatever other Wr you draft instead of Wayne both have huge games.

Concur with this. Let's start out with the obvious bye week problem and exactly who you will roll out as your No.3 and 4 receivers. Then using stats from last year, here's what I come up with:

No. of games in which both receivers individually had 2 TDs or more - 0

No. of games in which both receivers individually had over 100 yards - 2

No. of games the tandem had a combined 1 or less TDs - 10

No. of games the tandem had a combined 2 or less TDs - 13

No. of games the tandem had a combined no. of yards exceeding 200 - 5

No. of games the tandem had a combined no. of yards exceedng 250 - 1

The percentage likelihood of receiving a big game out of both receivers on the same day - est. 10-15%.

There is no in favor of this system as the likelihood of ever having a day of of getting 175 combined yards (87.5 yards each from your nos. 1 and 2 receivers) is only 50% and your likelihood of ever getting more than 1 total TD in the same game is 35%.

Concur with this. Let's start out with the obvious bye week problem and exactly who you will roll out as your No.3 and 4 receivers. Then using stats from last year, here's what I come up with:

No. of games in which both receivers individually had 2 TDs or more - 0

No. of games in which both receivers individually had over 100 yards - 2

No. of games the tandem had a combined 1 or less TDs - 10

No. of games the tandem had a combined 2 or less TDs - 13

No. of games the tandem had a combined no. of yards exceeding 200 - 5

No. of games the tandem had a combined no. of yards exceedng 250 - 1

The percentage likelihood of receiving a big game out of both receivers on the same day - est. 10-15%.

There is no in favor of this system as the likelihood of ever having a day of of getting 175 combined yards (87.5 yards each from your nos. 1 and 2 receivers) is only 50% and your likelihood of ever getting more than 1 total TD in the same game is 35%.

You are still getting an average of about 24 points a game from the WR spot. It doesn't matter to me it Harrison scored 22 and Wayne 2 or if they each put up 12. It seems like they would balance each other out and be very consistent.

You are still getting an average of about 24 points a game from the WR spot. It doesn't matter to me it Harrison scored 22 and Wayne 2 or if they each put up 12. It seems like they would balance each other out and be very consistent.

If you go on average alone, 25 is your number. My problem with the tandem is that the average is skewed by 4 weeks of great performance against 6 weeks of average performance and 6 weeks of substantially less than average performance, where you aren't getting close to 25 points. Assuming you are not in a PPR* league, with a scoring system 1 point per 10 yards and 6 points a TD:

Week # Score

1 18

2 26

3 17

4 15

5 17

6 37

7 35

8 35

9 12

10 26

11 14

12 28

13 21

Playoff

1 41

2 25

3 20

Six of the 13 weeks in the regular season, the tandem did not perform as I would expect for a late 3rd and early 4th round wide receiver, while in only three weeks they outperformed my expectations. Assuming you are drafting in the back end of a draft, or even an auction, you likely have not picked up a true stud RB to bail out the below average weeks.

I would also be concerned with having my eggs all in one basket. An injury to Manning would be devastating, while an injury to one may adversely effect the other who would probably start seeing more double teams.

*PPR completely changes my opinion since the pair reeled in 10 or more receptions a game 13 times and 13-14 receptions 8 times.

I don't love having the combo either. But, I ended up with both this year. The value was too high to pass up. I've had an offer of CJ for MH, but I may hold out to upgrade at Rb if necessary. ( Gore, Portis) I may just roll with it and see what happens. :unsure:

If you go on average alone, 25 is your number. My problem with the tandem is that the average is skewed by 4 weeks of great performance against 6 weeks of average performance and 6 weeks of substantially less than average performance, where you aren't getting close to 25 points. Assuming you are not in a PPR* league, with a scoring system 1 point per 10 yards and 6 points a TD:

Week # Score

1 18

2 26

3 17

4 15

5 17

6 37

7 35

8 35

9 12

10 26

11 14

12 28

13 21

Playoff

1 41

2 25

3 20

Six of the 13 weeks in the regular season, the tandem did not perform as I would expect for a late 3rd and early 4th round wide receiver, while in only three weeks they outperformed my expectations. Assuming you are drafting in the back end of a draft, or even an auction, you likely have not picked up a true stud RB to bail out the below average weeks.

I would also be concerned with having my eggs all in one basket. An injury to Manning would be devastating, while an injury to one may adversely effect the other who would probably start seeing more double teams.

*PPR completely changes my opinion since the pair reeled in 10 or more receptions a game 13 times and 13-14 receptions 8 times.

I drafted Harrison 2.11 and Wayne 3.2, so I do have a stud to bail them out.

I actually did find a study that compared WR tandems with similar scoring WRs from separate teams

(for example Wayne/Harrison vs Harrison/Evans vs Wayne/TO)

The study looked at 20 years worth of fantasy WRs (2 from same team that finished in top 20) and compared them to similar scoring duos from separate teams. It found that the duo from the same team tend to be considerably more consistent then duos from different teams. I guess that answers my question.

Had the dynamic duo the past couple of years in my keeper league. I agree that they were never both explosive on the same week but I consistently got 20+ points every week and this was more important as WR is the most inconsistent position in FF. I made it to our league's Super Bowl both years. My recommendation is to take these two if possible. Don't worry about playing any other WRs due to matchups (other than bye week) and enjoy the ride. (When Champ shadowed Marvin, Reggie went off for 34 points) You will not regret it!!!

Had the dynamic duo the past couple of years in my keeper league. I agree that they were never both explosive on the same week but I consistently got 20+ points every week and this was more important as WR is the most inconsistent position in FF. I made it to our league's Super Bowl both years. My recommendation is to take these two if possible. Don't worry about playing any other WRs due to matchups (other than bye week) and enjoy the ride. (When Champ shadowed Marvin, Reggie went off for 34 points) You will not regret it!!!

EXACTLY how i see it too...i drafted cj and housh, not bc they were on the same team, bc they were the best players available at the wr position when i wanted to draft wrs...i dont let the bye weeks or same team scare me

as others have said...palmer is too good to have a bad game so i dont see cj or housh ever having a bad game together...either one will have a sik game and one mediocre, or both will have good games...maybe on a rare week will both do bad...so getting points from both of them will get u as much points when u avg in wr1 and wr2

This intrigued me enough that I tested a (very crude) model to see how it would work. With a prolific quarterback, you're basically giving up the few explosive weeks (where both wr's light it up in a major way) and practically eliminating the few truly dismal weeks (where the two wr's combined nets you less than 100 yards total and no touchdowns). Furthermore, within the realm of typical weeks, you tend to be closer to combined average performance than with two wr's from different teams. Finally, and I haven't checked this in detail yet, your expected value for the typical weeks may be slightly better than the expected value for having wr's from two different teams. This last point is based on the fact that you're losing 50+ points games off the top while losing 6-10 point games off the bottom. They affect the expected values of what's left differently.

So, my take on it is, if you can hit the home run elsewhere (how else are you going to beat LT2's team when he runs for 4 TD's?), it may be worth taking the boring combo of 2 wr's from 1 team. If you need to be able to hit the occasional HR with the WR position, then go for 2 wr's from different teams.

Just my 2 cents.

i almost went with the Harrsion/Wayne combo.

in the 2nd round Harrison & Steve Smith were the 2 highest rated wr's on my board. i also had a feeling that in the 3rd rd. Wayne would still be there(which he was). so i thought to myself "should i go with Harrsion/Wayne or S. Smith/Wayne?"

i decided to go with S. Smith/Wayne.

In general I am not wild about this but Harrison/Wayne could be the exception to the rule... I would not go into the draft with this plan in mind but if it fell this way and they were the highest WR's on my board I guess I would do it... The bye week would hurt and those few games when Manning does not light it up but I could see it working out for you... JMHO