Sign in to follow this  
SFGeek

Show the S.A. Love

I should have expected this from someone who has been a member for 4 months and has over 1000 posts. You're arguement makes no sense. You are posting to argue, which I'd be willing to bet is how you got to 1000 posts in the first place. To say that Shaun Alexander is nothing more than an above average RB in a a great system is assinine. You never answered my question about all the other RBs considered "elite" that were also products of their system, at least in part. You ignored it and moved on because your only arguement is that he is a product of his system. The morris response actually does fit. If that system was why SA was so great, than Morris being an average back, should have at least put up above average numbers in that system. he didn't.

To put an end to this, I'll make a sig bet with you: Where do you project this above-average RB ina good system to finish? There are six guys mentioned in this thread that "should be taken above SA". Do you think he'll finish top seven? Top ten?

I'll say he finishes top five. Take the bet if he is what you say he is. :wave:

I never said that he won't put up good numbers. I think he will.

What I said, has nothing to do with Fantasy Football. It's just my personal opinion.

The Mo Morris thing makes no sense. Why didn't anyone mention that alot of his games were played with Seneca Wallace @ QB. Obviously that made a difference. He might not even be an average RB, couple that in with the backup QB playing, and him playing the year after Steve Hutchinson moved to another team.

OK so let's add this up. Maurice Morris had a backup QB playing for much of the time. He didn't have as great of an O-Line as Alexander, without Hutchinson. Add that in with him probably not being a very good RB in the first place. Why would he be productive? Him not being productive, has nothing to do with Alexander's great fantasy stats in previous years. Alexander had Hasselbeck to keep the D's honest, had his entire O-line, which Morris didn't. And, Shaun Alexander, as I said, is an above average RB - which Maurice Morris is not.

Like I said - the point is not valid.

I don't think all of the comments you made about my post count are necessary.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I don't care if anyone agrees with me.

I just don't think Shaun Alexander was ever that great.

Read what I said - I said he was/is a great fantasy player. I just don't think he was an elite NFL running back.

If you don't agree with me - so what. I don't really care either way. I'm just stating my opinion.

I never said that he won't put up good numbers. I think he will.

What I said, has nothing to do with Fantasy Football. It's just my personal opinion.

The Mo Morris thing makes no sense. Why didn't anyone mention that alot of his games were played with Seneca Wallace @ QB. Obviously that made a difference. He might not even be an average RB, couple that in with the backup QB playing, and him playing the year after Steve Hutchinson moved to another team.

OK so let's add this up. Maurice Morris had a backup QB playing for much of the time. He didn't have as great of an O-Line as Alexander, without Hutchinson. Add that in with him probably not being a very good RB in the first place. Why would he be productive? Him not being productive, has nothing to do with Alexander's great fantasy stats in previous years. Alexander had Hasselbeck to keep the D's honest, had his entire O-line, which Morris didn't. And, Shaun Alexander, as I said, is an above average RB - which Maurice Morris is not.

Like I said - the point is not valid.

I don't think all of the comments you made about my post count are necessary.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I don't care if anyone agrees with me.

I just don't think Shaun Alexander was ever that great.

Read what I said - I said he was/is a great fantasy player. I just don't think he was an elite NFL running back.

If you don't agree with me - so what. I don't really care either way. I'm just stating my opinion.

You claimed that Alexander had monster numbers as a result of the system. Alexander is the only back to EVER put up monster numbers in Seattle There is absolutely zero-evidence of it being a great system for running backs. Alexander had monster numbers because Alexander is a monster.

Kansas City and Denver are great systems for running backs. Priest Holmes went from a bench-warmer in Baltimore to fantasy football's best back. He was hurt for a game and Blaylock came in and had a monster week. Priest goes down for good, and LJ becomes a top 2 or 3 fantasy back. THAT is a system. When Olandis Gary and Rueben Droughns become elite backs for a year or two in Denver, THAT'S the result of a system.

Like I said, please show me another Seattle back, before or after, who was a fantasy stud in that "Seattle system".

I'll hang up and listen.

You claimed that Alexander had monster numbers as a result of the system. Alexander is the only back to EVER put up monster numbers in Seattle There is absolutely zero-evidence of it being a great system for running backs. Alexander had monster numbers because Alexander is a monster.

Kansas City and Denver are great systems for running backs. Priest Holmes went from a bench-warmer in Baltimore to fantasy football's best back. He was hurt for a game and Blaylock came in and had a monster week. Priest goes down for good, and LJ becomes a top 2 or 3 fantasy back. THAT is a system. When Olandis Gary and Rueben Droughns become elite backs for a year or two in Denver, THAT'S the result of a system.

Like I said, please show me another Seattle back, before or after, who was a fantasy stud in that "Seattle system".

I'll hang up and listen.

Rickey Watters was a stud on my team for several years. I agree that Alexander is a fantasy stud (I have him on one team) however it is not impossible to at least argue that he is not as talented as some other backs. I would say LT, S Jackson, and L Johnson are all more talented backs. Both arguments are valid.

Rickey Watters was a stud on my team for several years. I agree that Alexander is a fantasy stud (I have him on one team) however it is not impossible to at least argue that he is not as talented as some other backs. I would say LT, S Jackson, and L Johnson are all more talented backs. Both arguments are valid.

In my mind, the thing that differentiates SA and the other backs listed, is that I have NEVER seen SA make someone miss badly. Backs like LT2 and LJ and B. Sanders are/were elite because of their ability to make defenders look like they were playing with concrete shoes.

SA has always been that plodding, fall-down-for-thee-yards kind of guy to me. He certainly gets it done inside the five, but (for the most part) he is not that slashing, exciting back that the others are. I'm not saying that's bad, mind you, I'm just saying he's more of a classic runningback.

All that said, he's been my keeper for 4 years and been a stud...just keep falling forward on the goalline and I'm happy. :thumbsup:

In my mind, the thing that differentiates SA and the other backs listed, is that I have NEVER seen SA make someone miss badly. Backs like LT2 and LJ and B. Sanders are/were elite because of their ability to make defenders look like they were playing with concrete shoes.

SA has always been that plodding, fall-down-for-thee-yards kind of guy to me. He certainly gets it done inside the five, but (for the most part) he is not that slashing, exciting back that the others are. I'm not saying that's bad, mind you, I'm just saying he's more of a classic runningback.

All that said, he's been my keeper for 4 years and been a stud...just keep falling forward on the goalline and I'm happy. :doublethumbsup:

I agree, Alexander doesn't have the moves to juke guys..... thats not his style. He is more of a traditional north-south runner that follows the playbook, finds the hole, recognizes the blocker and then use his speed and power to make the run. I don't care what anyone says, but it takes some kind of talent to put up numbers that he has. The product of a good offense helps, but without the talent of a good RB to execute, doesn't matter how good your offensive line or the playbook is.

Denver is a good example.... ok... so they had Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis. But after Portis left... they've been having problems finding a RB that can fit the team's playbook and execute. Not often are there guys that have the talent like Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, or Tomlinson....... those guys are exciting to watch cause they have the juke moves. But there are pure runners like Walter Payton, Terrell Davis, and Thurman Thomas who are north-south runners that execute and use their strength and speed to make plays. I feel that Alexander is that type of a runner. Not flashy, but gets the job done. Does that make him an average back? Just because he isn't flashy and is a north-south classic runner?

he is not that slashing, exciting back that the others are.

That says it all right there. I completely agree that from a fans perspective he is not a flashy RB. LT is far more fun to watch, he is quick, shifty and throws TD passes on occasion. But sure and steady wins just as many games, scores just as many TDs and breaks just as many records. How a RB gets the job done is not what makes him elite. That he gets the job done consistently and markedly better than the rest of the league, IS what makes him elite.

I'll hang up and listen.

Why does there have to be another RB in that system?

The Walter Jones/Steve Hutchinson/Matt Hasselbeck/Darrell Jackson/Mike Holmgren connection were all during Shaun Alexanders time. That is the system, don't you get that?

Your point makes no sense.

He only runs hard inside the 10. You can't argue with his production through his career, but as others have said, the only time I enjoy watching him run is when he's on my team and crossing the stripe for his second TD of the day.