Sign in to follow this  
Nikethemutt

What do I do with Vince Young?

Picked up Vince Young as my QB in the 5th round (drafting from the 12th of 12 spots, I went WR, WR, RB, RB with my first 4 picks....WTF was I thinking??? :doublethumbsup: )

Anyhoo, on my way to work this morning, I flipped past a local radio station WDVE in Pittsburgh where Merrill Hoge was just totally ripping apart Vince Young. Dammit! My season's over before it started.

I've since come to learn that Hoge has been a hugely Anti-Vince for quite some time.

While his points sounded reasonable, it does seem that he's beating this drum for a bit too long.

So what do I do with Vince? Start him every game or bench him and chalk it up to a blown 5th round pick???

Depends on who your backup is, but I think he'll do alright provided he doesn't get hit by the Madden curse. He doesn't have much help on the team though, so you'll probably get good rushing yards, and maybe not so much on passing from him.

Hoge has been ripping Young since last season. That didn't stop Young from getting the Titans 7 wins in the last half.

Start him every week and reap the benefits my man. I been watching Vince since his Freshman year in college and he ALWAYS finds a way to get it done, he wont let his team or teammates fail. That takes care of the football side, now for the Fantasy impact he will have.

Lets do some math.

bad Typical QB Performance

200 yards passing

1 Passing TD --------14 points on most formats

A bad Vince day

150 yards passing

50 rushing yards

1 PassingTD------------16 points

Now lets look at a great Typical QB day

300 yards passing

3 Passing TDs------27 points

Vince Good Day

250 yards passing

2 passing TDs

1 rushing TD

100 yards rushing------36 points

I am pretty sure that 20 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs is the basement for Vince this year. It doesnt matter so much who his recievers and running backs are because the defense is so freaked out about his running threat that recievers get wide open and running backs have lanes to run in. Anyone see the Rose Bowl? The very average Texas WRs made USC look stupid.

Just like R Bush last year, people are either pro VY or not. Only time will tell this year but think he will be huge. I just wish he wasnt on Madden :)

Merrill Hoge is the second worst ex-steeler on TV, after Rod Woodson, they both suck.

I have my hopes for the bus still, but so far he is proving to be the same.

Moral of the story, dont take fantasy advice from ex-steelers.

But do you play VY this week against Jax who he had two horrible games against last year. I am going with Lienart this week against SF over VY.

But do you play VY this week against Jax who he had two horrible games against last year. I am going with Lienart this week against SF over VY.

and last year he was a high profile rookie who got thrown to the wolves....he has a whole year under his belt and im pretty sure he will be a little more comfortable

I am pretty sure that 20 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs is the basement for Vince this year.

:banana:

If VY was wearing black and gold this weekend than Hoge would be touting him as the second coming.

Hoge is a guy who knows football but has a weakness as a analyst. If he has a bias he allows it to effect his commentary and he will seldom waver from his original line of thinking. Due to that you always have to take what he says with a grain of salt because there maybe an agenda involved.

The ultimate irony.... you guys taking advice from a guy who has a history of forgetting what he said 3 mins ago and wondering around trying to remember what it was he was going to do.

Rule #1... don't take advice from a guy with more concussions than Wilt Chamberlin had skanks.

Start him every week and reap the benefits my man. I been watching Vince since his Freshman year in college and he ALWAYS finds a way to get it done, he wont let his team or teammates fail. That takes care of the football side, now for the Fantasy impact he will have.

Lets do some math.

bad Typical QB Performance

200 yards passing

1 Passing TD --------14 points on most formats

A bad Vince day

150 yards passing

50 rushing yards

1 PassingTD------------16 points

Now lets look at a great Typical QB day

300 yards passing

3 Passing TDs------27 points

Vince Good Day

250 yards passing

2 passing TDs

1 rushing TD

100 yards rushing------36 points

I am pretty sure that 20 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs is the basement for Vince this year. It doesnt matter so much who his recievers and running backs are because the defense is so freaked out about his running threat that recievers get wide open and running backs have lanes to run in. Anyone see the Rose Bowl? The very average Texas WRs made USC look stupid.

Just like R Bush last year, people are either pro VY or not. Only time will tell this year but think he will be huge. I just wish he wasnt on Madden :doublethumbsup:

I think the knock on VY, at least for now is his TD to turnover ratio. He put the ball on the ground 12 times last year (i.m unsure exactly how many he lost - I think it was 8) and threw 1 more Int than he did TDS and he had 20-25 turnovers to 19 TDs. This neutralizes a lot of what VY can do. I like his upside...I just think there are going to be weeks where he wins it for you and weeks where he loses it for you. In drafting a QB in the 5th, I would want more consistency.