Sign in to follow this  
thedrizzle88

Romo or Favre

The general consensus seems to be Favre will blow up against the Giants, but will he outscore my main man Romo by enough points to be worth the risk of another dissappointing performance?

I'm a numbers man, so I'll help start the discussion. What should we consider a break out performance? I'd say top 6. Last week top 6 numbers were 42.9, 34.7, 30.6, 30.3, 29.5, 27.3. That average comes out to be 32.55. With 32 starting QB's, just picking randomly, Favre would be in the top 6 about 19%, let's round it to 20% for easy math. So vs. the G-men, I'd think Favre's chances to crack the top 6 are higher than 20%, but what % exactly? Maybe 50%, or is that too high. Maybe 40%.

Some assumptions:

40% top 6

30% 7-12

25%13-26

5% bottom 6

Now let's find Favre's expected Fantasy points.

top 6: (32.55 points)

7-12 ( 20.23 points)

13-26 ( 10.1 points)

bottom 6 ( 2.78)

.4 * 32.55 + .3 *20.23 + .25*10.1 + .05 * 2.78 = 13.02 + 6.07 + 2.52 + .14 = 21.75 fantasy points

That seems pretty good, but that leaves me a 30% chance to basically come away with 3 fantasy points or less. Do you think Romo will have similar assumptions or better/worse? If you don't understand how I did the math, don't worry, but just give your opinions on Favre's or Romo's chances to obtain a certain scoring teir.

Favre is just too iffy. I know he's been a good quarterback but I don't have the confidence in him like I used to. Romo has something to prove and did a pretty good job of proving it last week. Miami lost one of their best DBs and may be a little suspect in the secondary. I'd go with the youth and potential of Romo over the experience of Favre.