Sign in to follow this  
acklenx

Value Based Tiering

Is it possible to set up the tiering so than instead of a fixed point spread ( like 16 ) you could use the Last Started Drafted value ( or one of the other overall ranking methods you include ) to set the tier level lines that are drawn in the position rankings. That gives me a much better feel for when I can expect a player to go in the draft rather than what players are of the same caliber. I can do the math faster than I can count the number of players at a given position on one tab and then see where they are in another tab. Just a thought.

And I along that same line, can I add value to the position rankings?

If I'm understanding you correctly, wouldn't putting a line where the baseline is just result in one line for each position?

What you can do if you don't like the Compiler calculated tier lines is just shut that off from the inputs or setup tab, and then add lines yourself from Excel (Format > Cells > Borders).

As for adding the value numbers to the cheatsheets. Hmm... that would be difficult since the position rankings include more players than are on the overall cheatsheet with the value numbers. I'm not sure what to suggest. Adding columns to the existing cheatsheets is sure to mess things up.

What you could do perhaps is sort the overall list by position and then value (descending). Then you can see the value by position, and copy it over to the positional rankings, maybe overwriting the FF points or bye weeks if that isn't important.

If I'm understanding you correctly, wouldn't putting a line where the baseline is just result in one line for each position?

Not at all. In a Last Drafted valuation in my league of 14 ( yuk ) that means that the baseline for running back is 28 down the line, 14 for QB, 42 for wide receivers, etc. But only 14 players will get picked in the first round. For the overall rankings I would simply draw a line every 14 players. But since the first 14 players consist of 9 RB, 4 WR, and 1 QB, that means the line in the position rankings would come after the 9th player in the RB column, after the 4th player in the WR column, after the 1st QB in that column. Then you look at the next 14 players that _should_ be drafted next and do the same thing ( but with different numbers - only 5 RB, 1 TE, 7 WR, and 1 QB ). The tier lines that end up being drawn this way tend to show what round each tier grouping will be drafted, as opposed to which players are close ( also very important, as it will shift who actually gets drafted, but also much easier to calculate ).

If that doesn't make sense I guess I can throw together a screen shot....

Ok, I hear what you are saying. An interesting concept. I think that would be difficult to program but I'd have to get into it to see for sure.

Perhaps when you read my article on tiering you'll like the tier lines some more? It should be published on the site within the next couple weeks.