Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Red Sox are willing to include Ellsbury into the Santana deal

I can't figure out if they are serious about getting Santana or just trying to drive up the price for the Yankees to get him.

I'm fine with them including Ellsbury, you can't fall in love with a player that has played 3 months as a pro, when you have a chance to get the best left handed pitcher in baseball.

I can't figure out if they are serious about getting Santana or just trying to drive up the price for the Yankees to get him.

I'm fine with them including Ellsbury, you can't fall in love with a player that has played 3 months as a pro, when you have a chance to get the best left handed pitcher in baseball.

But they would take Lester out of the deal so I don't know see how that improves their offer. With the offers reported it seemed like the Twins wanted a pitcher who could step into the rotation now. Yanks set a deadline of today for the Twins to take their offer. :rolleyes:

A acree. At best, Ellsbury could become the most dominant player at his position in a few years...just like Santana is today.

I still don't think they'll trade JE, despite what they are saying. And I hope they don't.

A Boston Globe article this morning also noted that the Yankees gave the Twins a deadline of today to answer their offer, so maybe we'll know something soon.

It is also interesting to note that since 2008 is Manny's last year, the Sox would still only have one $20 million+ player after next year (Santana). It makes negotiating a new deal for Santana after the trade seem much more realistic. They have to be looking at players as the limiting factor in the deal, not money.

But they would take Lester out of the deal so I don't know see how that improves their offer. With the offers reported it seemed like the Twins wanted a pitcher who could step into the rotation now. Yanks set a deadline of today for the Twins to take their offer. :rolleyes:

Just because they are taking Lester off, that doesn't mean the pitchers they are including aren't major league ready, these are the twins remember.

A acree. At best, Ellsbury could become the most dominant player at his position in a few years...just like Santana is today.

The most dominant pitcher is more valuable than the most dominant center fielder.

I haven't read the updates on the trade yet. If Lester and Ellsbury are in the deal together, I find it hard for the Twins to turn it down. Just Lester or Ellsbury (with the minor leagers) will probably not get accepted.

the Red Sox will not trade Ellsbury and pitcher Jon Lester unless the Twins expand the deal, possibly to include closer Joe Nathan.

Link

I'm OK with Lester not being included, so long as Ellsbury and Lowrie are. The Twins need position players more than pitchers. I'd take an Ellisbury, Lowrie, Masterson/Bowden deal or something like that.

Just offer Buckholz AND Lester, leave out Ellsbury. That should allow them to keep Ellsbury while giving the Twins two top pitching prospects.

Seems like a win-win for both teams.