Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Football books

Does anyone know of any good football books to read or give as a gift?

I am thinking of things along the lines of Tales from Q-School by John Feinstein, but with a football theme.

"The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. Really excellent book. All about Michael Oher, who likely will be picked in rounds 1-2 of the 2008 NFL draft.

"The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. Really excellent book. All about Michael Oher, who likely will be picked in rounds 1-2 of the 2008 NFL draft.

:thumbsup:

Written by "Moneyball" author Michael Lewis. Looks very interesting.

Life It's Ownself by Dan Jenkins is absolutely hilarious. I laughed out loud numerous times

More on the serious side but a great book is Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas

by Tom Callahan- I'm lifetime skins fan but still loved it

Bo's Lasting Lessons: The Legendary Coach Teaches the Timeless Fundamentals of Leadership by Bo Schembechler and John U. Bacon

I was flipping through this the other day at Barnes & Noble. Looked pretty good. I may pick it up for Xmas myself. :dunno:

:banana:

Written by "Moneyball" author Michael Lewis. Looks very interesting.

Agreed! Read it last spring. A must read.

Bleachers by John Grisham

Amazon.com

With Bleachers John Grisham departs again from the legal thriller to experiment with a character-driven tale of reunion, broken high school dreams, and missed chances. While the book falls short of the compelling storytelling that has made Grisham a bestselling author, it is nonetheless a diverting novella that succeeds as light fiction.

The story centers on the impending death of the Messina Spartans' football coach Eddie Rake. One of the most victorious coaches in high school football history, Rake is a man both loved and feared by his players and by a town that relishes his 13 state titles. The hero of the novel is Neely Crenshaw, a former Rake All-American whose NFL prospects ended abruptly after a cheap shot to the knees. Neely has returned home for the first time in years to join a nightly vigil for Rake at the Messina stadium. Having wandered through life with little focus since his college days, he struggles to reconcile his conflicted feelings towards his former coach, and he assays to rekindle love in the ex-girlfriend he abandoned long ago. For Messina and for Neely, the homecoming offers the prospect of building a life after Rake.

Physically a narrow book, Bleachers is a modest fiction in many respects. The emotional scope is akin to that of a short story, with a single-minded focus on explorations of nostalgia and regret. The dialogue, especially that of Neely's friend Paul Curry, is sometimes wooden as characters recall Messina history in paragraphs that were perhaps better left to the narrator. But Grisham has otherwise written a well-made, entertaining--if a bit sentimental--story.

I havent read this yet, but I hear its also a great football book by Grisham.

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

Third-string Cleveland Browns quarterback Rick Dockery becomes the greatest goat ever by throwing three interceptions in the closing minutes of the AFC championship game. Fleeing vengeful fans, he finds refuge in the grungiest corner of professional football, the Italian National Football League as quarterback of the inept but full-of-heart Parma Panthers. What ensues is a winsome football fable, replete with team bonding and character-building as the underdog Panthers challenge the powerhouse Bergamo Lions for a shot at the Italian Superbowl.

Got Sayers: My Life and Times for my Dad this year.

Don't know if the book's any good, but I did get it signed by Sayers, so who cares if the book's any good?

"Committed" is pretty good. If you're willing to go past football and read about fantasy baseball, "Fantasyland" is even better -- in fact, "Fantasyland" is really good.

"Headslap" the life and times of Deacon Jones written with John Klawitter is the best football book I have ever read.

:argue: