Sign in to follow this  
dmleonard

Converting from a snake to an auction draft

In my 12 team ppr league, a lot of people have been talking about moving away from a snake draft to an auction draft. The big problem we have is that we do not know how to deal with moving/migration of keepers. Currently, we can keep 0-2 players. If you don't keep any, you get a "1st & 2nd" rd pick. If you keep 2, you wouldn't pick until the 3rd.

Has anybody else converted over and can offer up some advice?

Thanks.

I have been playing in an auction league for many years, but I have no idea how to use keepers with an auction. I think you should consider charging 30% of the salary cap to keep one player, and an additional 20% for the second player. So with a $200 salary cap, an owner who keeps one player would have a $140 for bidding, and an owner who keeps two players would be able to bid up to $100 for his roster.

Those numbers are based on my experience with the most expensive player historically going for 40-45% of the cap. I think the guys in our league tend to overbid, though, which is why I suggested 30% for the first keeper.

It seems you have no choice but to mandate that there will be no keepers going into your first auction.

This way everyone starts with the same amount of auction cash with the same amount of roster spots to fill. This will keep the "market" even for your first auction.

If you allow teams to keep players, it will create an imbalance the following year because a "value" was never placed on these kept players to determine what these teams should pay to keep them for next year and any subsequent year.

It seems you have no choice but to mandate that there will be no keepers going into your first auction.

This way everyone starts with the same amount of auction cash with the same amount of roster spots to fill. This will keep the "market" even for your first auction.

If you allow teams to keep players, it will create an imbalance the following year because a "value" was never placed on these kept players to determine what these teams should pay to keep them for next year and any subsequent year.

This is the best way to go.

Yeah, you kinda have to start from scratch...which my league did. But after that first auction our system operates like this. You can keep up to two players at whatever was the cost at the auction. But we only allow you to keep a player one extra year. So if I drafted Brady for 7 bucks in September 2007, I can keep him for the 2008 season at a cost to my cap of 7 bucks. Come the 2009 draft, he goes back into the pool. WW pick ups that become keepers only cost you 1 buck. I'm looking at keeping 2 out of these 3 come the next draft: R. Grant, D. Anderson or D. Lee at a cost of 2 bucks. :pointstosky:

Redraft from scratch.

No other way to go.

Won't be popular.

Bite the bullet.

Then, determine how to do keepers going forward. Make that very clear up front, so that folks fon't get confused come future years when keepers are declared. You've got to get it right the first time, because you cannot ever change it, no matter what the perceived unfairness is int he rules you establish. (Fairness is overrated.)

Good luck!

agreed. start from scratch. if you really wanted to let people have a chance to keep their players, you could go with a 10% discount for those already on your team.

Make all keepers restricred free agents. Have a blind bid with right to match offer.

EX:

Team A has Reggie Bush and puts in a bid of 22$

Team B bids on Bush and a bid of 34$.

Team A has right to make offer of 34 to keep Bush.

Was going to use a system like above where if you lost a RFA, you got the 1st round pick of the Rookie draft of the team signing your player.