Sign in to follow this  
DaveJ

Rookie Dynasty Draft - Early Impressions

Obviously the RB's didn't quite fit into the nice neat little molds we had hoped. Stewart didn't end up in Houston or Zona, Medenhall didn't end up in Chicago, Detroit or Arizona. About the only two RB's that went anywhere near where hoped (projected) were McFadden and Jones.

So let's here some discussion dynasty drafting of the RB's selected thus far.

Matt Forte - Chicago

Chris Johnson - Tennessee

Felix Jones - Dallas

Darren McFadden - Oakland

Rashard Mendenhall - Pittsburgh

Ray Rice - Baltimore

Jonathan Stewart - Carolina

Scenario #1

You have a solid RB core or at least workable... who presents the most upside next year or the year after?

Scenario #2

You need help this year due to injury, retirement or limited options... who represents the best alternative for quick help, with upside down the road.

In both scenarios I see Stewart as the best alternative. His high ranking combined with the team he landed on, with questions at RB and their offensive scheme make him a very good selection as #1 overall. Followed closely, or maybe equally, with McFadden. Sure the O line in Oak isn't the best, but if Fargas can put up 1000 yards, McFadden should have some success.

Long term though, you have to like Medenhall and Forte. Medenhall is on a run first team with a guy in front of him who has worn down two years in a row and had his best performances as a tandem. I think he is also bumped up due to the goal line scavanging potential, see Bettis/FWP. Forte has Benson in front of him, but this is his last season to prove something before they make a switch, if they don't mid year. Similar to Medenhall situation, you have a run first offense.

Enter Rice and Jones.... Jones is a more versatile back than MBIII, but MB is the favorite in Dallas. Jones offers special teams play as well which make him an attractive alternative but still not enough to move him that far up. Dallas has shown they like a RB tandem, but does Jones have enough to bump himself into the primary spot? I think he has the skills and the body to do it if he is given an opportunity. Rice is in no mans land, McGahee had a solid year and is running well. He may be worth taking late, but he is prospect material right now and will not help you unless Willis goes down.

The wildcard in all this is Johnson. I think they reached for him.. but he seems to have solid skills. Lendale provided some quality games last year and seemed to be on track at the end of the year, but who knows what he will end up doing next. He's not a burner and in that O, I think speed could play a factor later in the year or next on who is the guy in Tenn. You have to give that edge to Johnson if that happens.

Obviously the RB's didn't quite fit into the nice neat little molds we had hoped. Stewart didn't end up in Houston or Zona, Medenhall didn't end up in Chicago, Detroit or Arizona. About the only two RB's that went anywhere near where hoped (projected) were McFadden and Jones.

So let's here some discussion dynasty drafting of the RB's selected thus far.

Matt Forte - Chicago

Chris Johnson - Tennessee

Felix Jones - Dallas

Darren McFadden - Oakland

Rashard Mendenhall - Pittsburgh

Ray Rice - Baltimore

Jonathan Stewart - Carolina

Scenario #1

You have a solid RB core or at least workable... who presents the most upside next year or the year after?

Scenario #2

You need help this year due to injury, retirement or limited options... who represents the best alternative for quick help, with upside down the road.

In both scenarios I see Stewart as the best alternative. His high ranking combined with the team he landed on, with questions at RB and their offensive scheme make him a very good selection as #1 overall. Followed closely, or maybe equally, with McFadden. Sure the O line in Oak isn't the best, but if Fargas can put up 1000 yards, McFadden should have some success.

Long term though, you have to like Medenhall and Forte. Medenhall is on a run first team with a guy in front of him who has worn down two years in a row and had his best performances as a tandem. I think he is also bumped up due to the goal line scavanging potential, see Bettis/FWP. Forte has Benson in front of him, but this is his last season to prove something before they make a switch, if they don't mid year. Similar to Medenhall situation, you have a run first offense.

Enter Rice and Jones.... Jones is a more versatile back than MBIII, but MB is the favorite in Dallas. Jones offers special teams play as well which make him an attractive alternative but still not enough to move him that far up. Dallas has shown they like a RB tandem, but does Jones have enough to bump himself into the primary spot? I think he has the skills and the body to do it if he is given an opportunity. Rice is in no mans land, McGahee had a solid year and is running well. He may be worth taking late, but he is prospect material right now and will not help you unless Willis goes down.

The wildcard in all this is Johnson. I think they reached for him.. but he seems to have solid skills. Lendale provided some quality games last year and seemed to be on track at the end of the year, but who knows what he will end up doing next. He's not a burner and in that O, I think speed could play a factor later in the year or next on who is the guy in Tenn. You have to give that edge to Johnson if that happens.

Pittsburgh is a pass first team.

YUP, with Big Ben leading the way and they just complied his wish by getting him a wide n' tall WR in Limas Sweed.

Though, i thought it was a steal for Steelers to get Mendenhall.

At this point, rookie RB ranking is

1. Jonathan Stewart - his only major competition is DeAngelo Williams.

2. Darren McFadden

3. Rashard Mendenhall

4. Matt Forte

5. Ray Rice

6. Chris Johnson - I suspected that Coach Fisher will employ 2backs to utilizes Johnson's speed to compliment LenDale White's power running.

They were ranked 3rd last year in rushing and 22nd in passing... BB had some good games last year, but rushing is still their bread and butter.

What does this mean for WIllie Parker?

means he just went from a 2nd round FF pick to about a 4th at best...

DeShaun Foster who was running for 3.5 yards a pop kept DeAngelo behind him for 2 years.... I don't see any competition in my eyes in Carolina... They just drafted their future in Stewey....

DeAngelo is having trouble doing something over there whether it's picking up the offense, blocking schemes, or who the hell knows... DeAngelo will continue to play here and there on 3rd downs and contribute in the return game...

It should be interesting in Dynasty Rookie drafts.... my IDP Dynasty draft due to needs and where guys fell "so far" would be looking something like this.....

1. Darren McFadden (possibly reaching for Mendenhall due to owning Willie Parker, but it should be McFadden)

2. Jonathon Stewart (pretty much a lock)

3. Mendenhall/Kevin Smith (guy could use an immediate starter, but Mendy "perhaps" would be smarter long term)

4. Chris Johnson (kid with the 4 pick is pretty solid everywhere and owns LenDale White)

5. Mendenhall/Kevin Smith (see the 3rd pick)

6. Felix Jones (this guy is always a wild card he could go with a Wr since he's hurting there)

7. Matt Forte (guy owns Bensen, perfect fit)

8. Jamaal Charles/Ray Rice - could always use an RB with potential

9. Limas Sweed/Matt Ryan (guy is loaded with RB depth and he owns big ben, quality fit, could go Ryan due to Favre retiring and he doesn't own a back-up Qb at the moment)

0. Ray Rice/Matt Ryan - (owner has McGahee, would make sense...also no backup Qb behind Palmer)

1. Devin Thomas (guy could use a solid Wr to groom also has the # 1 pick "McFadden")

2. Chris Long - (very good team and the guy had the worst DL production in my league, Long would be nice)

still early in day 3 here so things can always change.... what do the rest of you guys see happening in your drafts ??

YUP, with Big Ben leading the way and they just complied his wish by getting him a wide n' tall WR in Limas Sweed.

Though, i thought it was a steal for Steelers to get Mendenhall.

At this point, rookie RB ranking is

2. Darren McFadden

3. Rashard Mendenhall

4. Matt Forte

5. Ray Rice

6. Chris Johnson - I suspected that Coach Fisher will employ 2backs to utilizes Johnson's speed to compliment LenDale White's power running.

This is a tough one. My feeling is of what you're going to get immediately is this:

1. Stewart- and it's not even close. Beats out DWill 3 days into camp

2. McFadden- Al can't afford to keep the kid on the bench

3. Kevin Smith - Perfect spot in Detroit for an underrated runner

4. Forte - Ced is crap, Forte wins the spot during preseason

5. Chris Johnson - If they trusted Fatdale, they woudn't have drafted this kid.

6. Mendenhall - Stuck behind Parker for a bit I'm afraid

7. Ray Rice - Stuck behind McGahee.

Long term:

1. Stewart

2. Mendenhall

3. McFadden

4. Kevin Smith

5. Matt Forte

6. Chris Johnson

7. Ray Rice