Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Baseballs greatest. That is NOT a cheater.

I don't disagree that Ruth is the greatest hitter, but hitting is only half the equation. When you take into account fielding, I think Griffey deserves consideration for best all time player that is not a cheater.

How about the fact that Ruth was also a great pitcher.

How about the fact that Ruth was also a great pitcher.

Micah Owings>Babe Ruth

Also an underrated movie

Best movie lines... Outside of his blatant racism, this is a man id roll with!

Louis Prima: With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers?

Ty Cobb: Well, I figure against today's pitchers I'd only probably hit about .290

Louis Prima: .290? Well that's amazing, because you batted over .400 a... a whole bunch of times. Now tell us all, we'd all like to know, why do you think you'd only hit .290?

Ty Cobb: Well, I'm 72 focking years old you ignorant son of a biitch.

:pointstosky:

Al Stump: All right, listen, you son of a biitch. If you die before the book is finished, I'll write the story I want.

Ty Cobb: I ain't gonna die before the story's finished.

Al Stump: I'll write slow.

Ty Cobb: I'll die slow.

[pause, and then]

Ty Cobb: Now get your clothes on, we're gonna go get some puzzy.

:pointstosky: :overhead: :headbanger: :overhead:

These goofs have no idea what they're talking about. The -only- reason I'd take Ruth ahead of him is because he could pitch.

Cobb probably still has more standing records than most of the top guys combined. Do they realize that over 50yrs ago, those

who watched them play, voted Cobb the greatest baseball player of the half century? And most those who voted him that, hated

his guts! That's right, they declared him better than Ruth. Read your baseball history.

146 games

.420 avg

248hits

47 doubles

24 triples

8homers

83 stolen bases

147 runs

127 rbi

12 strikeouts

I'll take that over any 70 homerun season every day of the week and a doubleheader on sunday.

Averaged .400+ for a five-year span.

Voted into the Hall of Fame with the highest percentage of votes before modern era (98.23%)

Stole home plate 36 times... Once stole home twice in the same game off the same pitcher.

And by the way, it's not that he -couldn't- hit homeruns, again read your baseball history about him being challenged on the subject and how he responded.

You are a smart man. Here's an amazing historical excerpt from Al Stump's book to support this (long but good):

"'Gentlemen, pay close attention today. I'll show you something new. For the first time in my life, I will be deliberately going for home runs. For years I've been reading comparisons about how others hit as against my style. So I'm going to give you a demonstration.'

"His challenge was as explicit as one could get. In the first inning against St. Louis, dropping and closing his hands from the Cobb spread grip to use the whole bat, the Peach hit a Bullet Joe Bush fastball (and none were faster) into the right-field pavilion. In the second inning, he drove a slow curve by Elam Vangilder completely over tthe pavilion and onto Grand Avenue. In the eight inning, he homered for the third time against reliever Milt Gaston. Mixed in with the four-basers were a double and two singles. His 6 for 6 set a major-league record for total bases of 16 in one game. That remains the American League record today; through sixty-nine years it has not been beaten, only tied.

"All of this came on that May 5 in a 'warm-up' way. His home run eruption had given Detroit a 14-8 win. The next day he singled his first time up, running his string of consecutive base hits to nine. Then he homered twice, off two left-handers, Dave Danforth and Chet Falk, while Detroit pounded the Browns, 11-4. Five home runs in two straight games has not been surpassed since then, through more than six decades, whether by Ruth or any other batsman. It remains a modern-day record... In accumulating 25 total bases in two successive games, he set another still-existing mark. Years later, historians would peer at the old typeset and whistle at what the read.

"In forty-eight hours of 1925 he had made his point, massively, that home runs were not difficult to accumulate, that he could wallop for long distances with anyone when inclined to do so, but that superior, inside ways to play the game existed. After this 'big five,' he returned to spraying his hits. ... 'There's no doubt in my mind that Ty is the best all-around hitter who ever lived,' reiterated Tris Speaker. 'He can bunt, chop-hit, deliver long drives, or put balls out of sight'." (Al Stump, Cobb, p.362-363)

Say what you want about Ruth, Gehrig, and the others. Cobb's contemporaries said he was the greatest.

All that and they would not evn let him play in the field of dreams.

Here is the complete list of baseball players that have NEVER cheated: