Sign in to follow this  
m4rk0

Contemplating switching to IDP vs DST

Our 6 year league is disbanding and a few of us are starting a new league. We are considering using individual defensive players on the league and have no experience doing that. What does a typical IDP roster look like? How many IDPs start in a game? Do you still use a DST as well? Any info would be helpful.

Our 6 year league is disbanding and a few of us are starting a new league. We are considering using individual defensive players on the league and have no experience doing that. What does a typical IDP roster look like? How many IDPs start in a game? Do you still use a DST as well? Any info would be helpful.

I love IDP! my league has 2-DB, 2-LB/DL, 2-flex....i enjoy following the def stats as well.

I love IDP! my league has 2-DB, 2-LB/DL, 2-flex....i enjoy following the def stats as well.

So you start 2 DBs and 2 LB/DL each week? And is that 2 defensive flex?

I joined an IDP league last year, starts 2DL, 2LB and 2DB. Obviously most guys keep a minimum of 2 each of those, some 3 of each. They aren't particularly overvalued in the league, as the highest defensive guy (Patrick Willis) only ranked 70th overall, which means your focus should still be on offensive talent. I've noticed it's a lot easier to make IDP moves on the WW since their value is lower. On the whole it's been fun, I know have to know stuff that I never worried about before and it's kind of made watching the games more enjoyable. I never liked having a defense that was playing against either my favorite team or a couple of my FF guys and having to mixed feelings about who to root for. Now, my linebacker can get 15 tackles and my fav team or offensive players can still get off.

I joined an IDP league last year, starts 2DL, 2LB and 2DB. Obviously most guys keep a minimum of 2 each of those, some 3 of each. They aren't particularly overvalued in the league, as the highest defensive guy (Patrick Willis) only ranked 70th overall, which means your focus should still be on offensive talent. I've noticed it's a lot easier to make IDP moves on the WW since their value is lower. On the whole it's been fun, I know have to know stuff that I never worried about before and it's kind of made watching the games more enjoyable. I never liked having a defense that was playing against either my favorite team or a couple of my FF guys and having to mixed feelings about who to root for. Now, my linebacker can get 15 tackles and my fav team or offensive players can still get off.

Your best scoring defensive player finished 70th??!! Do you get a point for every 10 tackles? Why bother having IDPs if they are completely irrelevant?

Your best scoring defensive player finished 70th??!! Do you get a point for every 10 tackles? Why bother having IDPs if they are completely irrelevant?

It's a PPR league w/ QB bonuses for completions/%. Top end is dominated by QB, high possession WR and pass catching RB. Defense figures a lot less obviously. But Willis/Urlacher are still nearly 12 pts per game on average (fwiw, Brady averaged 34 pts per game last year).

It's a PPR league w/ QB bonuses for completions/%. Top end is dominated by QB, high possession WR and pass catching RB. Defense figures a lot less obviously. But Willis/Urlacher are still nearly 12 pts per game on average (fwiw, Brady averaged 34 pts per game last year).

I understand that it's an offensive oriented league, as all leagues should be, but I think that you've put defensive players on the same level as kickers. I tried, unsucessfully to get rid of kickers in my league. When was the last time anybody got excited about kickers during the NFL draft, a FF draft, or any time for that matter? If IDPs are that far behind the offensive players they're not worth the time and effort to research or draft, just do team defensives and spend more time focusing on the offensive guys.

I understand that it's an offensive oriented league, as all leagues should be, but I think that you've put defensive players on the same level as kickers. I tried, unsucessfully to get rid of kickers in my league. When was the last time anybody got excited about kickers during the NFL draft, a FF draft, or any time for that matter? If IDPs are that far behind the offensive players they're not worth the time and effort to research or draft, just do team defensives and spend more time focusing on the offensive guys.

I agree with you completely. I totally overhauled my defensive team last year and ended up 2 of top 10 DL, 3 of top 19 LB and 3 of top 11 DB and my team still sucks because it's so handicapped on offensive by the high scoring nature of QB and high catch WR/RB. I'm probably OK at RB, but simply cannot make it up at QB and WR because of the long return time on rookies at both those positions. It's frustrating to make what I believe are the right moves but not make anyway headway because of somebody else who owned it before me and their bad decisions.

IDP leagues are fantastic. Dont devalue the idp players to the point of nonexistance and irrelavance. I like leagues best that try to equalize the scoring system across all positions.

out of curiousity why are your IDP players not listed on your sig, yet I see CHI ? :dunno:

I like IDP. It brings allot more players into play in the auction, and there's more players to include in trades. Is a stud WR worth a stud LB? Lots of interesting issues come up. It takes more work to be familiar with all of the IDP players, but I enjoy it.

We've got 40 man rosters and start 3 DL, 3 LB, and 3 DB.

I like IDP. It brings allot more players into play in the auction, and there's more players to include in trades. Is a stud WR worth a stud LB? Lots of interesting issues come up. It takes more work to be familiar with all of the IDP players, but I enjoy it.

We've got 40 man rosters and start 3 DL, 3 LB, and 3 DB.

Lot to keep up with though man, our 25 man rosters are a challenge.

IDP is the way to go. much more fun with them. Adds to watching the games also.

You end up trying to see who made the takle.

we start 2 DL, 2 LB & 2 DB

scoring

takle 1pt

assist 1/2 pt

int 2 pt

sack 2pt (1/2 sack 1 pt)

pass def 1 pt

fum rec 3 pt

safety 4 pts

def TD 6pts

they also get 6 pts for return TD's.

Do it … you’ll be happy you did. It will broaden your horizons, in terms of how you watch a game.

What does a typical IDP roster look like? How many IDPs start in a game?

It depends on how much impact you want it to have. Do you want balance between offense and defense?

In some leagues IDP is nothing more than an after-thought, and has no significant contribution, some like a balance; it’s all a matter of preference. I favor balance. :mad:

Do you still use a DST as well?

By DST, I assume this is Defense Special Teams; You can … my IDP dynasty league has Special Team units.

In our 53 man Dynasty IDP, we start 11 IDP’s … 3 DL … 4 LB … 4 DB. We do not differentiate DT from DE, ILB/OLB and CB/S. I do this to avoid issues like … so and so being listed as a DT when in fact he’s a DE and so on and so forth.

We score for:

Solo

Assist

Sacks (plus sack yardage .1 per yard)

Interception (plus yardage .1 per yard)

Pass Defensed

Forced Fumble

Fumble Recovery (plus yardage .1 per yard)

Safety

TD

General rule of thumb … sack = 3x solo and take note … player is credited with solo when he gets a sack, same goes for PD and INT.

Good Luck!