Sign in to follow this  
Guru420

Dumbest Question EVER

OK, this is the third year I've used this tool, and I can never say enough good things about it. Thanks in advance Mike!

So, on to my questions.

First, I've used this tool in the past and always used your rankings "as they are". Then, during the draft I would use my gut each round to help make my next pick based on who was available, what position I needed and what everyone else had already drafted. Now I'm looking to make subtile modifications to your rankings based upon what I've read, my gut feeling, and overall performance in years past. So I would like to change the order of some players, but haven't been able to figure that part out so that it propogates to all the tabs and fields. (i.e. Lets say I think Manning is better than Brady, how would I make it so Manning shows up higher than Brady everywhere?)

Second, I've been playing with the projection pal and found some info to input. I went through the tutorial and followed that, got my Site B all configured. Now I would like to add Site C but it keeps overwriting Site B's data. I've changed the site name in Step 2, Used Custom 2 rather than Custom 1 like I did for Site B, and still it doesn't seem to want to add both sets of data in the compiler. It also does not seem to take this info into account on the cheatsheets for overall rankings, does this mean I need to manually make adjustments? I have set the "combination of the 3 sites" option on the compiler setup.

I know some of this might seem basic, but I'm sure others have the same types of questions or will have them as we get closer to draft day.

Anyone reading this thinking about buying the tool:

3 years

5 Leagues

1 Superbowl Win :pointstosky: - 1 Superbowl Loss ;) - 2 Post-Season appearances :thumbsup:

IT WORKS!!! :P

Hey Guru420. Thanks for the testimonial, and welcome back for '08!

On the re-ranking, you have 2 main options:

1. Change the projections in the Compiler. This will change the rankings everywhere based on "your" new projections. How to do it:

- go to the FF Today Projections (yellow) section on each position tab in the Compiler (QB/RB/WR/etc.), and just edit the projections that are there as you see fit

Notes:

- this option gives you the most control but is the most work

- if you hit Update Projections it will overwrite your changes

- one way around this is to copy the FF Today Projections into the Site B or Site C sections, change those so they effectively become "yours", but you need to remember to change the allocation key to point to your new projections to base the cheatsheets off of

2. Change the rankings in Buddy after copying over the cheatsheets from the Compiler. How to do it:

- go to the offense tab (or idp tab) in Buddy, scroll to the right and find the cheatsheet with yellow highlighted boxes for Rank and Tier for all players. change those and hit the appropriate re-rank button

Notes:

- this option is the easiest in that you don't have to mess around with detailed projections

- since you are working in Buddy it will only change the league you are working with, not all leagues

- if you run the Draft Buddy Setup again (presumably because you updated projections back in the Compiler), then this will copy over the cheatsheets from the Compiler again and overwrite your changes

- this will not impact the overall rankings because at this point in Buddy, each cheatsheet is independent, and telling Buddy to move players within a position does not allow it to understand how those player should intermingle with one another on the overall rankings

I'll handle question 2 in a separate post.

Second, I've been playing with the projection pal and found some info to input. I went through the tutorial and followed that, got my Site B all configured. Now I would like to add Site C but it keeps overwriting Site B's data. I've changed the site name in Step 2, Used Custom 2 rather than Custom 1 like I did for Site B, and still it doesn't seem to want to add both sets of data in the compiler. It also does not seem to take this info into account on the cheatsheets for overall rankings, does this mean I need to manually make adjustments? I have set the "combination of the 3 sites" option on the compiler setup.

Hmm... I opened the Compiler and Projection Pal, went to the setup tab in Pal and changed Site B to Site C. Went to QB Raw tab and hit Copy to Compiler, it put the data in Site B. WTF? Then I noticed the little "Calculate" warning down in the bottom left of the window in the status bar. When I changed B to C I don't think Pal noticed I changed it.

I went back to the setup tab, hit F9 (calculate). Then to QB Raw again, hit Copy to Compiler and it put it in C, but it messed up something with the player names.

Then I tried RB Raw, hit Copy to Compiler and it worked putting all the data in Site C.

So, in short, I think it does know to put it in Site C. Make sure you have calculations on automatic using Tools > Options > Calculation, but there is something else fishy here I'll have to look into.

Once you have your new projections in the Compiler, then if you want to average them together you need to choose an appropriate allocation key on the setup tab, or make a new one yourself. Something like 40% Site A (FF Today), 30% Site B and 30% Site C. Change the default key - 100% FF Today - to your new key, and simply doing that should result in different projected fantasy points for all players based off the new averaged projections. To get these properly sorted for the cheatsheets, then hit Compile Cheatsheets again.

Note any info that goes in the Custom1, Custom2, Custom3 or Notes section does not influence the cheatsheet rankings. It is separate info that flows through to the cs with notes, alternate "with notes" cheatsheets.

You know, I think the problem(s) I had with Pal were all due to my calculation settings being on manual rather than auto, so just make sure calculation is set to auto. Tools > Options > Calculation. Click "Automatic" and OK.

Mike-

You're welcome for the endorsement, its actually my second. My first is in the testimonials area (Gar). I submitted that almost 2 years ago and I don't think my opinion of your product has changed one bit. Also, thanks for the great support and quick responces on the message board. I can't say that enough. I work in IT for a living, providing customer support, and I can tell you first hand how refreshing it is to have someone that actually knows their product and is willing to support it as passionately as you do. :banana:

Too bad I can't recommend this to my friends, I need the "leg-up"! :lol:

I haven't gotten a chance to try the changes you suggested yet, planning to do so tonight. Just wanted to say "Thanks" for the response.

You are very welcome. Thanks for the continued support!

I really should keep adding to the testimonials every year, but I don't want to come off like we're bragging or something. This is a pretty humble FF website (trying to be anyway).

Mike-

I wouldn't feel bad about adding endorsements, in fact I think it would be a testimony to your product on how many people are return buyers and have continued success....

Besides, we all like to brag sometimes.. :dunno:

I followed the direstions for the projection pal, but that still doesn't work for me. Its weird, it will accept site b but once you add site c it overwrites the info so only 1 site will show up at any given time.. I can email the 4 files to you if you would like to see them, I have both projection sites all filled in.

I guess the 1 big question would be do I have to have both sites in the same projection pal sheet or on seperate ones? Currently I have 2, seemed easier that way.

As far as the re-ranking question, I'll keep playing with that, but it is working. Now I just have to play with it a bit to see how things are all affected by the changes, thanks for the "heads-up" tips as it gives me something to look for when I update rankings and projections.

Guru420

Sure, send your copies of Projection Pal over (and the Compiler). You're right, it is easier to keep multiple copies of Pal and that shouldn't be a problem. If everything is set up the same in terms of the way fantasy site you are grabbing projections from is designed, then when they update all you do is open that copy of Pal, refresh the data and you've already marked the columns, so hit Copy to Compiler. Should be much faster getting those projections into the Compiler each time they update.