Sign in to follow this  
davidjensen

Ideal League Settings

1st - Rosters

Standard (for Y!) would be QB,WR,WR,WR,RB,RB,TE,K,DEF,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN

Do you play with a WR3 or a W/R flex? Do you prefer the flex? What type of roster configurations do you like best?

2nd - Playoffs

In a 10-team league, do you like the 4 team (Week 15, 16) showdown?

3rd - Scoring

Not awarding a QB 6 points (4 points) for a PassTD helps bring the QB's down to earth a bit. But what PPR leagues? Even if it's just half a point, it sure helps level out QB's, RB's, and WR's.

Also, fractional points? Are you a fan? Would you rather win or lose by .04 of a point or simply just tie?

My main league, very competitive, in its 8th year, and we've made numerous changes over the years tweaking it into what I truly believe is the best Fantasy Football League in the world. Anyway, heres your stats for my 12 team yearly re-draft league:

1) Rosters

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST and 11 additional roster spots for a total 20 man rosters.

I personally enjoy the triple WR, just because of the balance of available to usable players that it gives. With 24 running backs, they're still a strong emphasis, but in this PPR league, you can start a nothing RB2 if you assemble the top trio of WRs in the league. It allows for numerous strategies and ideas, from a draft level to a weekly level.

2) Playoffs

12 teams, 3 divisions, and 4 teams make the playoffs. Division winners, and the additional best record (Wildcard). Teams are re-seeded according to record, and Playoffs are done in two 2 cumulative week periods:

Weeks 13 & 14 Combined Scoring:

1 v 4

2 v 3

Weeks 15 & 16 Combined Scoring:

Championship Game

Consolation Game

I don't believe in allowing 50% of the teams to make the playoffs, as fun as it would be to toss 2 more teams into the mix. For my money, MLB and NFL have the playoff format correct, in reference to the number of teams making the playoffs v teams in the league. The NBA is a joke, with teams making it in for .500 records (and sometimes worse) and I can't do that to my league. Regular season performance is rewarded, even if the Fantasy Gods don't smile upon you during the month of December.

3) Scoring

PPR, 6 Pts per all TDs, .04 pts per Passing Yard, .1 points per rushing/receiving gives a general idea of our format. Sure, QBs dominate the top 10 of overall scoring (especially last year) but you can use that information in a way that helps you win, or a way that helps you lose. I absolutely love PPR, and don't have a very good argument to defend it. I just love being able to watch a game and grab a point here, a point there. It just adds to the experience, AND gives WRs some real value. I feel in our league you can go WR, WR, WR and stand just as good a chance to put up the high week scoring as the guy that goes RB, RB, and also as the guy who takes Tom Brady in the first round. I love the balance open-ended strategy that my league presents.

Last year was the first year we implemented the scoring to the Hundredths, and we love it. We decided that "every yard should count" just like in the NFL, so we did it. I probably took the nastiest loss from it last year, as I was handed my first defeat of the season on the Monday Night Football Bills v Cowboys game. It was myself (back-to-back) defending champ v the only other back-to-back championship winner in League history -- a big regular season matchup to say the least. I had T.O. and needed x points to win, and ended up down .8 when Romo threw the last touchdown to put them down 2. He then throws the fade to T.O. for the 2 pt conversion, and I WIN!! No wait, he dropped it. Onside kick, and WOAH THEY GOT IT! New Hope for me. And....ROMO HITS OWENS FOR 20 YARDS!! I DID IT! Nope, review by the booth, and he trapped it. Nick Folk FG, and I lose by .08. Oh well, it was one fun Monday Nighter, probably my favorite my Fantasy Football Career, even with the loss.

I'll add a 4th here for people still reading:

4) Waivers/Free Agents

We use Free Agent Blind Bidding. A 100 dollar budget for the season (and this is real money) that you can spend throughout the season. Bids are opened at 2 different periods during the week -- Wednesday Night, and Saturday Night, giving you the chance to shoot for your big money FAs, and then clean up the mess you may have left behind.

As much as I love Fantasy Football, I won't play in a league that used the joke that is Waivers.

Great little survey -- look forward to hearing from others.

If you have a committed group, a good commish and you plan to keep the league together for a while, the auction/dynasty ruote is the best IMHO. But it takes total buyin from everyone or it won't work.

Also, we allow your flex to be a QB, which throws a nice little wrinkle into the strategy.