Sign in to follow this  
srdogg3

QB selection in 2QB leagues

I have the 2nd overall pick in a non-ppr league that starts 2 Qb's. Obviously you take LT or AP depending on who is not selected #1.

Question is when should i take the quaterback(s) since they seem to go early and often?

10 team league traditional scoring.... 4pts qb touchdown, 1 pt every 20yds passing.... 6 pt bonus every 100 yds eush/rec. or 300 yds passing

Would anybody take the risk of selecting qb's in the 2nd and 3rd round hoping to get a romo/brees combo to pair with AP or go a more tradional route and go rb/qb/wr or rb/rb/qb.

league starts 2qb, 2rb, 3wr, te, k, p

any help/suggeston would be appreciated!

3 of the 4 leagues I play use a 2 QB starting format. I like it! The reasoning is if teams only have to start 1 QB, there will always be viable options on the waiver wire or in free agency. That just makes it too easy to get another QB and greatly devalues the position.

When you have to start 2 (and you want a 3rd for a backup), suddenly the value goes very high. Like in real football.

Now, assuming Rushing and Receiving yards are 1 for 10 and those TDs are worth 6...

Brady will still outscore even LT in total points. But you have to look at the relative value between LT and the next guy and Brady and the next guy. I have LT at 19.5 ppg and then AP at 18 and then Westy at 17 and then comes the big drop down to 15 ppg. For the QBs, I have Brady at 22 ppg, but Peyton is at 20 ppg and Romo at 19.5. Then Big ben and Brees at 18, and then Anderson, Palmer, McNabb, and Garrard all at 17. You see QBs score more, but they go much deeper.

At the #2 spot, in this format, I would pray for LT but gladly snap up AP. I would pass on Brady, even though he will likely score the most points in FF again. If I had the 3-spot, I'd strongly consider him and probably would take him.

At the bottom our the 2nd, I'd be looking for Manning, and you'll be lucky to get him! Maybe he falls a bit in your league, you never know. If Peyton is gone, I'd take Romo or Brees if both available so as to not leave them both for turn guy. If all three of Manning, Romo, and Brees are available, I'd take another RB or a WR and then choose from what's left of those three QBs with my 3.2 pick. I would not go QB-QB though.

Depending on what the 1.1 guy did with his 2nd and 3rd picks, when it comes back to you in the 4-5, you can look at a 2nd QB and probably get the likes of a McNabb/Garrard who will both be very undervalued or even a Rothlisberger.

Having AP (or LT), 1 of the top 4 QBs and then as 2nd QB starter another top 10 guy will set you up large for your season. You'll be scoring a lot per game and will tough to beat.

And because of the 2 QB system and their hig scoring, don't be shy about grabbing a 3rd for byes/injuries. Schaub. Delhomme, Young, Campbell, Rodgers, Rivers.

Good luck.

No way Manning falls to the end of the second in a 2 QB league. Brady, Manning, Romo, and Brees are all 1st round picks in this format in a 12 team league. Brady probably goes 3 or 4 overall followed by Manning sometime around pick 7 or 8. Romo and Brees should go sometime around 10-12. QBs are gold in this format. There simply are not enough to go around. You should get some good RB value in round 2 or 3.

Schaub. Delhomme, Young, Campbell, Rodgers, Rivers as QB 3? These guys are all solid QB 2 and should be every week starters. Guys like Kyle Boller, and Rex Grossman will all get drafted as QB 3s. Don't get overly concerned about a QB 3. They are so scarce with alomst no upside that it is often better to leave a blank rather than take the chance on getting negative points for interceptions. If a QB slides to you after you have your top 2 they make great trade bait. You might use a QB 3 spot to handcuff your starter (Schaub/Rosenfeld).

hard, you should try a few of these 2-QB leagues. I've done several over the years and I know exactly where QBs go. Only someone who hasn't done them would expect 4 QBs to go in the first. Just doesn't happen as most people continue to de-value QBs. as for having a 3rd like Boller or Grossman, again, try drafting one of these leagues. IF you leave yourself with that as your third, you deserve what you get.

hard, you should try a few of these 2-QB leagues. I've done several over the years and I know exactly where QBs go. Only someone who hasn't done them would expect 4 QBs to go in the first. Just doesn't happen as most people continue to de-value QBs. as for having a 3rd like Boller or Grossman, again, try drafting one of these leagues. IF you leave yourself with that as your third, you deserve what you get.

Law, don't act as if I have never drafted a 2 QB league. I am in one every year with the same owners. These guys do not devalue QBs. Anyone who has been in one of these leagues will realize their value. Maybe if you are in a first year league in which owners do not know about the value of QBs this might happen. If you are in a league in which owners know the value you will have multiple QBs go in the first round. If you want quality QBs late in the draft maybe you can go join Laws league and stay away from the ones in which owners can do simple math.

Law, don't act as if I have never drafted a 2 QB league. I am in one every year with the same owners. These guys do not devalue QBs. Anyone who has been in one of these leagues will realize their value. Maybe if you are in a first year league in which owners do not know about the value of QBs this might happen. If you are in a league in which owners know the value you will have multiple QBs go in the first round. If you want quality QBs late in the draft maybe you can go join Laws league and stay away from the ones in which owners can do simple math.

Good deal. Great for you.

Maybe go back to the OP and read this line, "10 team league" and then explain how/why so many QBs would go in the first round (of TEN picks!), how/why the QBs I mentioned as possible #2s and #3s would go, and why any team in a 10-team league should (outside of horrific drafting ineptness) have the likes of Grossman or Boller as their #3?

Just asking.

:shocking:

Oh, and kinda hard to not act as if you've never drafted on of these based on your comments. Now, if you missed the part about a 10-teamer, ok then. Big difference in a 2-QB system for 10- and 12-teamers.

Good deal. Great for you.

Maybe go back to the OP and read this line, "10 team league" and then explain how/why so many QBs would go in the first round (of TEN picks!), how/why the QBs I mentioned as possible #2s and #3s would go, and why any team in a 10-team league should (outside of horrific drafting ineptness) have the likes of Grossman or Boller as their #3?

Just asking.

:shocking:

Oh, and kinda hard to not act as if you've never drafted on of these based on your comments. Now, if you missed the part about a 10-teamer, ok then. Big difference in a 2-QB system for 10- and 12-teamers.

Okay, so I did miss the part about it being a 10 team league hence the remark about two of the QBs going 10-12 in the first round. Nevertheless does not open the door for you to start saying that I have never drafted in a 2 QB league.

Bottom line if you are drafting in a 2 QB league and expect them to fly off the board the same way the go in a 1 QB league you are going to be left high and dry.

Okay, so I did miss the part about it being a 10 team league hence the remark about two of the QBs going 10-12 in the first round. Nevertheless does not open the door for you to start saying that I have never drafted in a 2 QB league.

Bottom line if you are drafting in a 2 QB league and expect them to fly off the board the same way the go in a 1 QB league you are going to be left high and dry.

You're right. That's why I brought up the point about 10 teams. It dawned on me that you had to have missed that...or your league is QB crazy!

:ninja:

You're right. That's why I brought up the point about 10 teams. It dawned on me that you had to have missed that...or your league is QB crazy!

:ninja:

I am not doubting that my league is QB crazy so it is probably a little bit of both.

I've played in a couple of 2QB leagues in the past. In those leagues, QB's went just as fast as RB's, so who knows. In the league I was in, most of the owners had 1QB and 1RB at the end of the first two rounds.

We just had our draft yesterday in a two QB league. Our league gives 6 pts for all TD's.

Here's how our first 2 rounds went:

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. LT

4. Romo

5. AD

6. Brees

7. Westbrook

8. Barber

9. Moss

10. S. Jackson

Round 2:

10. Owens

9. Anderson

8. Addai

7. Palmer

6. Portis

5. Roth

4. Lynch

3. Edwards

2. LJ

1. McNabb

I personally picked Palmer in the 2nd and Favre in the 5th. QB's are hot in our league and they quick in a 2 QB league.