Sign in to follow this  
philibuster01

IDP?

I'm doing my first ever draft that includes IDP tonight. What are the basics???

What round do defensive players start getting picked??? How important are IDPs in relation to RBs, WRs, etc???

I'm doing my first ever draft that includes IDP tonight. What are the basics???

What round do defensive players start getting picked??? How important are IDPs in relation to RBs, WRs, etc???

How important IDPs are and in what round they start going is dependent on their relative scoring in your league. In most cases, and for most wiser IDP drafters, IDPs start going after you've secured most of offensive player bench. I say wiser because, invariably, someone will race out to take a "name" player like Urlacher with a relative high pick (7, 8, 9, depending on league format). Then the next round someone else will take another, maybe two or three people, and then the next round they start going.

The thing to remember for IDPs is much like with offensive players...it's about relative value. Sure, it would be nice to have the #1 or 2 projected IDP, but the thing is the #10 or 15 IDP will score almost as much on a weekly basis. The point split between the two is NOT enough to race out there so early. Hold off a bit, take more and better offensive backups/depth, and then still get good IDPs later. Let the fools rush in!

Also with IDPs, depending on the scoring, think LB and S. They are, by far, the most consistent. They get you tackles every week plus they can still get the sacks, INTs, FRs, etc. Now, if your league doesn't score tackles, then all bets off. And if your league is heavy on sacks or INTs, you have to look at DEs and CBs too. In most all cases, avoid DTs, They just don't get the stats. They are vital in real football, not so much in fantasy.

Remember too that most drafters aren't that good at IDPs either. They'll race out there for early picks, they'll draft the hotshot CBs who never get the ball thrown near them (meaning few opportunities for stats), the big name DTs, the aging All-Pros, etc. The point is, stay the course and stick to your plan, you'll get as good or better IDPs than them AND you'll have the better bench for it.

How important IDPs are and in what round they start going is dependent on their relative scoring in your league. In most cases, and for most wiser IDP drafters, IDPs start going after you've secured most of offensive player bench. I say wiser because, invariably, someone will race out to take a "name" player like Urlacher with a relative high pick (7, 8, 9, depending on league format). Then the next round someone else will take another, maybe two or three people, and then the next round they start going.

The thing to remember for IDPs is much like with offensive players...it's about relative value. Sure, it would be nice to have the #1 or 2 projected IDP, but the thing is the #10 or 15 IDP will score almost as much on a weekly basis. The point split between the two is NOT enough to race out there so early. Hold off a bit, take more and better offensive backups/depth, and then still get good IDPs later. Let the fools rush in!

Also with IDPs, depending on the scoring, think LB and S. They are, by far, the most consistent. They get you tackles every week plus they can still get the sacks, INTs, FRs, etc. Now, if your league doesn't score tackles, then all bets off. And if your league is heavy on sacks or INTs, you have to look at DEs and CBs too. In most all cases, avoid DTs, They just don't get the stats. They are vital in real football, not so much in fantasy.

Remember too that most drafters aren't that good at IDPs either. They'll race out there for early picks, they'll draft the hotshot CBs who never get the ball thrown near them (meaning few opportunities for stats), the big name DTs, the aging All-Pros, etc. The point is, stay the course and stick to your plan, you'll get as good or better IDPs than them AND you'll have the better bench for it.

Thanks. That helps a lot.